The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I just came across an icecream at a shop near my place which claims to have some 11 gms of carbs per 100 gms of the icecream. Fat stands at 18 gms and protein at 5.

The cup is 150 gms, which means the full cup should have about 16 carbs, 22gms fat and about 8 gms of protein..

Do you think this ice cream would qualify as a low carb snack, though I know that the 16 carbs will mostly be sugar ?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
What you want to do is see how many grams of sugar are in a serving. Because the fat content is high you may be able to get away with it. The only ice cream that really works for me is the Breyers CarbSmart. I prefer the bars because I know there is only one serving and I won't overeat. Most other ice creams a serving is only 1/2 a cup. Also different sweetners and sugar alcohols may affect your bg differently. So next time you eat some , test at 1,2, and 3 hours to see where your bgs are.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
16g of carbs in a single food item is way too many for me. Alas, NO ice cream works for me. :-(

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I guess it depends on how many carbs you normally are able to eat at once? 16 is a lot for me but if you are normally eating 15+ in a single meal maybe it will work for you? In the end you just have to test test test.

I have tried Breyer's carb smart with supposedly 4 net carbs per serving. I don't remember what sugar alcohols they used but it sure did spike me just like it was sugar, sent me over 200...

Recently, I have had better success making my own ice cream using heavy cream, yogurt or low-carb almond milk as a base. Then I can choose sweeteners that work best for me. Also most "low-carb" foods are also low in fat or use ingredients I wouldn't want to eat (like soybean oil). This way I get delicious ice cream that doesn't spike me or make me feel like I'm eating frankenfood. :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Lo carb ice cream

The low carb Breyer's bar is great. Only ice cream that does not jump my sugar. I do eat it in place of another carb serving. It is nice that I don't have measure. It is also good to break up in a bowl and add a little sf raspberry syrup, or caramel or other flavor. It is my fun treat. Lol

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I couldn`t help myself this summer; I bought icecream 3 times, but I asked if they could give me just at little since I have diabetes.
The icecream I loves will give me 10 carbs if I buy the little one.
The first place I got about the half of a little ice, and I got it for free:eek:
My blood raised from 5,2 to 10,7, but one hour later it was started to go down again. 2 hours later it was 6,3......
The next time I bought this icecream, I also got the half of the little ice. I shared with my Italian Greyhound, and this time my BG only went from 6,1 to 7,3. And 2 hours later BG was 5,8.
The last hot summerday I did the same, shared with my dog. He loves it, I loves it and my BG doesn`t peak to much.:D

If I eat berries or fruit, my BG doesn`t peak as musch as with the icecream.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I'm like Daytona, I make my own and I posted a recipe in our recipe section which I'm still tweaking, but I really like it! Easy, too. Salim, you might want to try it. I also found Netrition has a sugar free Hershey's chocolate syrup!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It is also good to break up in a bowl and add a little sf raspberry syrup, or caramel or other flavor. It is my fun treat. Lol
Oh good land! Thank you for describing it in such explicit detail!
It's prob'ly fortunate for me that I'm not so creative on my own. I can't buy these bars to begin with, because I'll eat the whole box at once. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
LOL Shanny!

What about frozen yogurt? We eat no sugar added ice cream. 16-18 carbs and I think 6 grams of sugar, not too shabby!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys just for my knowledge :-> is 16 gms of carbs in my icre cream the same as 16 gms of carbs in my other low carb lunch / dinner

-Tony

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
optimist said:
I couldn`t help myself this summer; I bought icecream 3 times, but I asked if they could give me just at little since I have diabetes.
The icecream I loves will give me 10 carbs if I buy the little one.
The first place I got about the half of a little ice, and I got it for free:eek:
My blood raised from 5,2 to 10,7, but one hour later it was started to go down again. 2 hours later it was 6,3......
The next time I bought this icecream, I also got the half of the little ice. I shared with my Italian Greyhound, and this time my BG only went from 6,1 to 7,3. And 2 hours later BG was 5,8.
The last hot summerday I did the same, shared with my dog. He loves it, I loves it and my BG doesn`t peak to much.:D

If I eat berries or fruit, my BG doesn`t peak as musch as with the icecream.
Do you get Alvesta Glass there where you are in Norway, Optimist? Here in Stockholm, it has started showing up at all the ICA stores and only has 2-4 carbs. It comes in vanilla, chocolate and now, caramel flavours!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Do you get Alvesta Glass there where you are in Norway, Optimist? Here in Stockholm, it has started showing up at all the ICA stores and only has 2-4 carbs. It comes in vanilla, chocolate and now, caramel flavours!
Tack sa mycket :) I wish I lived in Sweden. Your Alvesta Glass ice cream sounds soooooooo good. I love caramel flavour. :cool:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Tenker det blir Stockholmferie til sommeren da! :D (I think I am going to Stockholm next summer)
Not in the ICA where I live, but I am going to look for it when I`m in a town. Are going to a hospital in Oslo wednesday, and to a hospital in Arendal next week. Has to look for icecream:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts