The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am racking my brain and need some help. My son came home from work tonight complaining of tiredness, feeling "foggy", sweats, and shaky. He is a waiter and couldn't even add up his tips because he couldn't think clearly. Classic, maybe? Turns out he hadn't eaten in 12 hours, but I checked his BS anyway, thinking he was hypo, and it was 156! This is the same son that exhibited some signs last year(and was fine) and led me to find out that I was diabetic. I spot check him and he always has good FBS. This was like a FBS since he hadn't eaten, right? Anyone have ideas or suggestions? He doesn't have health insurance so doctor visit has to be well warranted for him. I made him eat a little and have some water and he seemed better. I will re-check him in the morning. Everyone is always so helpful, so thanks in advance.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
That high is due to the release of stored glycogen by the liver because of the extended fasting period. Whether he is / or not a diabetic is another question. You should get an OGTT performed.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
He might want to monitor more than just the FBS, as, we all know, it is the last to "go". So if he would test pre-, 1hrpp and 2hrpp around a few meals - perhaps one more carby than the other - that would give him more useable information about how he is metabolizing carbohydrates.

That 156 is high for a liver dump because there should have been an insulin response to accompany it - so it wouldn't be out of order for him to start reducing his total carbs, and especially not make a meal of them.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
He may have issues with glucose metabolism. Maybe stress, high cortisol make the reading high. Like others have said he need to monitor his condition have reading after eating to see how he is responding to food. People without issue will hardly ever go that high for a few hours without food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts