The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. Last month I was diagnosed as Type 2, and immediately placed on insulin without any other meds.

After increasing the dose several times (and the odd user error or 3), insulin works great for me! So great, in fact, that I can no longer imagine trying to function without it.

And now that I've learned a few things, oral meds have sorta lost their charms.

Which, taken all together, brought up a weird thought: Am I really a Type 2?

So I emailed my doc for confirmation. Turns out I'm a presumed Type 2. No further tests were taken at the hospital. But, now that I've asked, she's ordered up GAD and c-peptide and internal insulin tests for me. :confused:

These are fasting tests. No prob! But ... I have to get myself back up to 200-300 BGL to take them. :eek:

Two Semi-Rhetorical Questions:

1. Is this worth making myself high again after all of my work?
2. Why did I have to be the one to bring this up???

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What??? :eek: I hadn't heard THAT before!
Oh, yeah. Got it in writing, since it's an email exchange.

I will call the lab to confirm that. Maybe it's not necessary for all tests, and I can take one to rule out the need for others. Or maybe there's misinformation afoot.

Regardless, I'm more than a tad PO'd that they did not test me in the hospital, while I was in that range. And if they couldn't test for sound medical reasons -- once again, why did I have to be the one to come up with the question over a month later???

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I totally don't know what I'd do without this Forum and folks like you, Shanny!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
GAD deos not require fasting, but some people feel the c-pep is more informative if it is glucose-stimulated.

Mine was done at a BG of 140 -- and showed me smack in the mid-range of normal insulin production, a year ago. Which is certainly not massive overproduction.

YES it is worth it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
To find out if you are a Type 1, the GAD is the most important. I don't think you need to be high for that one. There are 2 ways C peptides are done- fasting and non fasting. I have never heard you need to get your bgs up that high to have one though. Since many LADA's still have insulin production for awhile, because the antibodies haven't attacked all the beta cells yet. But also Type 2's may have low insulin production so a low C Peptide is not always definitive. There are many type 2's who need insulin to live too.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yes, Jeanne is right -- with the number of causes of Type 2 -- including recently-found antibodies leading to insulin resistance -- a lower C-peptide might not mean you are Type 1 -- but it rules out insulin overproduction, and points toward insufficiency (which occurs later in T2) if very low.

·
Registered
741 Posts
So. Last month I was diagnosed as Type 2, and immediately placed on insulin without any other meds.

After increasing the dose several times (and the odd user error or 3), insulin works great for me! So great, in fact, that I can no longer imagine trying to function without it.

And now that I've learned a few things, oral meds have sorta lost their charms.

Which, taken all together, brought up a weird thought: Am I really a Type 2?

So I emailed my doc for confirmation. Turns out I'm a presumed Type 2. No further tests were taken at the hospital. But, now that I've asked, she's ordered up GAD and c-peptide and internal insulin tests for me. :confused:

These are fasting tests. No prob! But ... I have to get myself back up to 200-300 BGL to take them. :eek:

Two Semi-Rhetorical Questions:

1. Is this worth making myself high again after all of my work?
2. Why did I have to be the one to bring this up???
I have been tested twice over 10 yrs in the same hospital and they told me I was type 1....lol Im not Im type 2...my son is also type 2 and was diagnosed at 16...

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To find out if you are a Type 1, the GAD is the most important. I don't think you need to be high for that one. There are 2 ways C peptides are done- fasting and non fasting. I have never heard you need to get your bgs up that high to have one though.
I've calmed down a tad, done a bit of reading up. Apparently, it is only the c-peptide that requires fasting and high(er) glucose -- which all depends on the specific lab. I'll question both my doc and the lab directly about how high I need to get, and/or whether I should do the other tests first, and perhaps rule out the need for a c-peptide.

... There are many type 2's who need insulin to live too.
I resemble that remark! :D Until further notice, anyway.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I dont think it would take much effort for me to get my BG up over 200 if i needed to. last time i ate 4 slices of pizza and it put me to a 256. I think i would actually enjoy having a week of carb loading. the bad part would be needing to come back down from all the carbs. oh how i miss a big plate of hashbrowns in the morning.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont think it would take much effort for me to get my BG up over 200 if i needed to. last time i ate 4 slices of pizza and it put me to a 256. I think i would actually enjoy having a week of carb loading. the bad part would be needing to come back down from all the carbs. oh how i miss a big plate of hashbrowns in the morning.
Hey, don't wanna brag, but I can get my BG up to 400 in a hot New York minute ... and I'm on the West Coast! :D

Getting it back down again, however, is more geological than geographical. We're talking a pre-climate-change glacial rate.

And they won't even give me a full day of carb loading. They're talking overnight.

(I'm soooooo with ya on the hashbrowns. My plate used to resemble the Sierra Range! Am researching jicama/turnip/rutabaga alternatives.)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has either of you tried roasted cauli as a substitute? Man, I love that stuff!
Buyin' a couple heads today. One for cauli-rice to fix and freeze, one for eeevville experiments!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Oh you have GOT to experiment with oven-roasted florets ... with EVOE, GARLIC and ROSEMARY! (drooling to even consider it!)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh you have GOT to experiment with oven-roasted florets ... with EVOE, GARLIC and ROSEMARY! (drooling to even consider it!)
Oooooh, that sounds good! (Sorry, but what's evoe?)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The acronym I've always used is EVOO . . .

I usually keep a container of mashed cauliflower in the fridge - have only tried the roasted once, and will have to fine-tune my technique. :D Right now our river is flooding the road again, so it'll be a few days before I can get to the store again.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
The acronym I've always used is EVOO . . .

I usually keep a container of mashed cauliflower in the fridge - have only tried the roasted once, and will have to fine-tune my technique. :D Right now our river is flooding the road again, so it'll be a few days before I can get to the store again.
OMG of course it is EVOO. I am in a stupor due to low activity here! Scary -- I have always been so precise about language, too.

Flooding yes, not good!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts