The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I get comments like that all the time from some of my lady friends. They all assume since I have lost weight that I must be starving myself. When we have luncheons I am very careful about what I eat. I keep explaining to them how I eat and that I get plenty of calories. The only food I don't eat is fruit and processed carbs. I'm not sure if those are necessary food groups. Of course these people that make these comments are usually overweight and have BP problems and are on tons of meds.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the impression she was in one of the acai pyramid schemes ... telling me about improved lipids, etc. SIGH.

And of course ALL her relatives have T2D.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
foxl - you should have asked her how this 'stuff' is working for HER relatives and then come back to tell you how wonderful it is.

jwags - you have done a wonderful job of losing weight and I would ignore anyone who tries to give you their opinion to the contrary.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Okkkay.....then you could have asked her how much she makes from every sale? Chances are you could probably buy the same type of stuff at a large grocery store. I know I've seen it in our store and it is a bit pricey, however there are a sizeable number of people who do buy it. Can't say as I've ever tried it though. I prefer to "spend" my carbs on something else.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I buy acai berry juice at costco. It's 'cheap like borscht' there.

I don't necessarily believe it's that much better than blueberries or blackberries, etc., but since all berries are expensive in Canada, I figure I'll try different ones at different times.

1/2 cup of acai juice doesn't spike me any more than a serving of any other berry.

Berries (strawberry, blackberry, blueberry, raspberry), granny smith apples and a small orange (mandarin or clementine) are all I ever eat for fruits. Or 1/2c servings of pure fruit juice made from berries, oranges or apples). Cherries haven't been bad for me, but are too expensive up here.

Bananas are NOT my friend, I've found out. Just can't get totally green ones here.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
beefy

I have never tried the acai berry juice. Is it like the taste of blueberries or something more tart?

Bananas are NOT my friend either :(

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I bought the small bottles of Acai extract. I think a serving was only 1 ounce. I would mix it in my smoothies. I thought it was kind of bitter. I didn't notice any magical properties though. I think most of us have been brainwashed into thinking we have to have fruit otherwise we will die. Any nutrient in fruit is found in vegetables for a lot fewer carbs.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
... Any nutrient in fruit is found in vegetables for a lot fewer carbs.
Actually, with the exception of beans there is nothing else as high in antioxidants as berries. There is a 2004 study by the USDA listing many antioxidant amounts for servings of particular foods. Amazingly Dried Red, Pinto and Kidney beans scored as high in antioxidants as wild blueberries.

Also of note, heating (cooking, steaming, etc.) can damage much of the vitamins/nutrients in veggies, as such raw are often higher in nutrients. Most of us eat our fruit raw, but often cook veggies.

The downside is the fructose... so if fructose is a problem for your BG's, then watch it. But berries are both low GI/GL and high in antioxidants.

And re: Acai ...it's definitely not as sweet as most berries we N.Americans consume...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Multi-Vitamins

I don't know if my experience really means much since I've only been dealing with it for a few months but I know a lot of doctors say that there is no evidence that vitamins and supplements work but I am one of the believers of the pharmaceutical company conspiracy. The fact is that just because no one has done any significant studies to prove they work doesn't mean they don't. Not to mention, a lot of studies, particularly those mentioned in LifeExtension magazine seem to support the fact that they do work. One other thing, I have a feeling that if the makers of vitamins and supplements roamed doctor's offices everyday in silky black suits selling their products to doctors and buying coffee for all the nurses and receptionists, many more doctors would be recommending the use of vitamins and supplements. The fact is no company is going to do any significant amount of research to prove a product is effective if that product is already available on the market and cannot be patented.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
glomaster

For what it is worth I agree with you. I have a sister who works as a receptionist in a small size clinic in our town. There are maybe 6 - 8 doctors who work there plus the supporting staff of nurses, lab techs, x-ray techs, and receptionists. She said that most days she doesn't have to even bring a lunch to work as the drug reps are frequently bringing in things like lasagna, pizza, ready made sandwiches etc.

However that being said, in our county there has been a major outcry about the drug reps providing lunches, gifts, golf trips and so on. Now there is a new law that prevents them from ''buying the doctors favors''.........so it remains to be seen how much influence this new law will have. At the least it might mean the people in that office will hopefully bring lunches from home that are more healthy than pizza every day.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
[...] a lot of doctors say that there is no evidence that vitamins and supplements work [...]. The fact is that just because no one has done any significant studies to prove they work doesn't mean they don't. Not to mention, a lot of studies, particularly those mentioned in LifeExtension magazine seem to support the fact that they do work.
I have macular degeneration, and I can tell you there was a major study showing that a particular formula (AREDS) of vitamins, minerals, slowed the advancement of dry macular in close to 50% of sufferers.

Now - if they work for particular conditions/diseases, why wouldn't they work for overall health?

I agree with you!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My better half has participated in this study for more than 20 years, and it's still going strong. Perhaps once they publish the results, others will pick up the banner & realize the importance of supplements. You can see from my signature how much help I get from them.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I had several doctors ask me about my diet last year. They all said that I needed to have some fruit in my diet. I just said OK and started looking for the best thing for me. I decided to keep low acid no pulp orange juice and natural applesauce. I eat one serving of each everyday. I also have bought some supplements called "Orchard Fruits". I take 2 capsules everyday, each capsule is equal to one serving of fruit.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had some Acai juice! and berries too sometime back..They give certain clawing feeling at the back of the tounge for me, but definitely not bitter. I was told about the antioxidant properties but I am more interested as to whether it lowers my BG or not..it didnt so I lost interest..I prefer apples as they are low in cals.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well ... turns out this person SELLS Acai, in a well-known pyramid scheme! She tried to recruit my husband, this week -- he is clearly NOT interested ... UGH!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Disgusting.

I have seen these people trying to peddle this stuff on Autism forums and such and am completely turned off!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Its so true..these days one have to be careful..one may think that they are helping a cause but it definitely not so..How does it help autistic people??!! I guess anything is a FAD now a days!..:(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts