The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try eating diabetic low glycemic index and gluten-free. I've been doing that for the past couple of weeks. Let's just say that quinoa is yummy and has a GI of only 35.

Commercial gluten-free anything is made with rice flour, tapioca starch, and potato starch. It's a diabetic perfect storm. If you thought wheat bread raised your blood sugar, try gluten-free bread!

I must develop some more good buckwheat recipes. And alter the ones I have already that use gluten to be gluten-free.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'd be sunk if I suddenly developed a gluten intolerance. :( I'm buying gluten by the bagful . . .

But I gotta get busy & try some of your buckwheat recipes . . . the pix are mouthwatering!

·
Registered
800 Posts
At least you can still eat the buckwheat!

I have trouble with most cereals as I'm carbohydrate intolerant:
Wheat and Rice make me secrete too much insulin, so I gain fat even on low calories. :mad:
Oats seem neutral. :D
All other cereals just go straight through me as though I'd taken a powerful laxative. We won't talk about Quinoa...that incident was soooo embarassing. :eek:

I've gone the low carb, high fat, moderate protein route. I occasionally have a treat...and that doesn't turn out so well sometimes. However there are some great recipes in the Paleo/Primal type cookbooks, not to mention most French traditional recipes work well as they don't rely on starchies.

My future may include Type 2, as most CI people become diabetic with age.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:confused:

Thats like, no sugar added Honey
I guess some explanation would be helpful. I have been baking using buckwheat, and adding a few tablespoons of gluten to each recipe to get a nice texture rather than a flat dense result with no rise from the baking powder. Buckwheat is not related to wheat at all, and has no gluten. I will be altering these recipes to use xanthan gum instead of gluten as the ingredient to provide a light texture. And maybe more egg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts