The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are any illnesses that can cause your blood sugar levels to decrease all together? I am asking because I have been diabetic for over 10 years and on insulin. In the last 4 months I have lost 53lbs, woozy all the time, my A1c has gone from 12 to 6 and I have had to take my Levimir from 30 units in morning to 20 units in morning and my novolog from 20 units before meals to 6 units before meals in the last 3 weeks. Does anyone know what might cause this to happen? I haven't made any changes in my eating habits either.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I can't answer the part about illness and blood sugar - but I see that you live in a part of the U.S. that is having very warm weather lately. And since I don't live all that far from you, do you think perhaps it is the hot weather causing some of the changes in your insulin requirements?

I am on a pump and I know for sure my requirements have been cut almost in half. I've had to change the amount of insulin required and at first I was worried something was wrong. Have you seen your Doctor about your physical symptoms? What does he say could be the problem? That seems like a lot of weight to lose without trying.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love your quote!

I can't answer the part about illness and blood sugar - but I see that you live in a part of the U.S. that is having very warm weather lately. And since I don't live all that far from you, do you think perhaps it is the hot weather causing some of the changes in your insulin requirements?

I am on a pump and I know for sure my requirements have been cut almost in half. I've had to change the amount of insulin required and at first I was worried something was wrong. Have you seen your Doctor about your physical symptoms? What does he say could be the problem? That seems like a lot of weight to lose without trying.
Thank you for your answer. I haven't asked my Dr. about the heat. It has never happened in the past, but it is a question I will be asking her soon!! Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your answer. I haven't asked my Dr. about the heat. It has never happened in the past, but it is a question I will be asking her soon!! Thank you so much!!
Forgot to add, she is checking to see if maybe I have always been type1 rather than type 2.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Just out of curiosity - what is your doctor doing to check if you are type 1 instead of type 2?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just out of curiosity - what is your doctor doing to check if you are type 1 instead of type 2?
She ordered 3 tests. A GAD Antibody, a C-peptide, and a fasting glucose. I believe she said it is the Gad Antibody is the one that tells if you are Type 1. I have felt so crazy and so tired of being sick all the time :( Hope they figure it out!! I was never checked for diabetes proior to having my kids and I have been diabetic since then. Kids are 16, 15, 13, and 12. Had them back to back so no testing in between. She says it's possible I was Type1 all along.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Sounds like the Doc is ordering all the test necessary. When I was first diagnosed it was 'assumed' I was type 2 due to the fact I was overweight. However when the Doc's oral medications didn't work, he threatened me by putting me on insulin. Funny how my blood sugars came down within a week.

Several years later I changed doctors and the 'new' doctor ordered the same tests that your doctor has ordered. Turns out that I was type 1 and probably have been for a long time before official diagnosis. I had two children both of which were well over 9 lbs. No one ever bothered to check back then though.

Good Luck to you - I hope things turn out well for you.

Reactions: Mrs.Rucker

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Mrs.Rucker, thank you for joining us. I have no answers for you - I don't even use insulin yet, but I'm glad you found us & I hope you get to the bottom of what is wrong here.

Take care & visit us often.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello & welcome, Mrs.Rucker, thank you for joining us. I have no answers for you - I don't even use insulin yet, but I'm glad you found us & I hope you get to the bottom of what is wrong here.

Take care & visit us often.
Thank You!! ;)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I'm also a Type 2 on insulin, and weather changes definitely affect my levels. Heat forces me to reduce my basal and take more care with my bolus. Cold, just the opposite.

For other folks, it may work in reverse. But you and I seem to share this particular boat.

Good on your doc for checking out your type!

I would definitely ask the doc to check out the unexpected weight loss, too -- especially since it's apparently happening as your glucose decreases. (My only experience with losing weight that way was back when my levels were up in the stratosphere, before I knew I was a diabetic.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update... I got a letter from my Dr. She didn't say about the GAD but this is what she said... I received your pending lab results that include your C-peptide. The level came back at 4.8 Normal range is 1.1-4.4. I strongly believe that you do have type2 diabetes. I think you make enough insulin in order to come off insulin therapy. We will continue to titrate your insulin down and possibly get you on oral diabetes medications. Moe than likely it will be safe for you to come off insulin. We can discuss this at your next appointment.

YEAH!!! But wondering why I still feel so sick!! UGH!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.