The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a errand in a nearby town this morning and on the way home I stopped at a "Road Ranger" station to buy a Diet Coke. It is one of those 'serve yourself' stations where you dispense the soft drink and then pay for it at the counter.

I took a few sips of my drink and it didn't taste right, so I dumped it and refilled it again - paying careful attention to push the DC button. After I dispensed the 2nd drink I walked to the counter to pay for it and because I was thirsty I took a few big swallows........oops!! Something didn't taste quite right - so I asked the clerk if possibly someone had switched the containers in the machine. The soft drink on either side of the diet coke were full sugar soft drinks. She looked quickly and said "No, it is diet coke".

Yeah right. Don't believe everything someone tells you. I tested the drink when I returned home and my One Touch meter gave me a "High Glucose" reading - so I dumped it in the sink.

I might have expected this to happen if I was in a restaurant, but I dispensed this one myself. :mad:

Now I'm sitting here with a 167 (9.3) and I'm just plain cross!!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Now I'm sitting here with a 167 (9.3) and I'm just plain cross!!
Oh, I'd be steamed! :mad2:

Imagine what would have happened if you hadn't been so alert. I probably would've thought, 'Man - things are really starting to taste like sugar now!" and come by and written a post about it - then tested and ... :boom::boom:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I'd be steamed! :mad2:

Imagine what would have happened if you hadn't been so alert. I probably would've thought, 'Man - things are really starting to taste like sugar now!" and come by and written a post about it - then tested and ... :boom::boom:
Moon - I am steamed and my OH is telling me "calm down" or your blood sugar will keep climbing :( I did go to the Road Ranger website and submitted a few 'comments' and signed my name and email address along with the comments. Who knows what will happen if anything. If I had been foolish enough to drink the whole thing I would probably be 'HI' like my meter said. I looked on the One Touch error messages and 'HI' means a bg of 600 or more.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
You might also find out who the manager of the store is, and the regional manager w/ contact info, and contact them as well.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
It is really sloppy that they can't manage their stock correctly and hopefully they will take the point from your complaint.

What it does say to me, is that my own approach to "soft drinks" is the only safe one - water only - very boring (but safe).

And that still doesn't excuse the Road Ranger outlet. I hope their senior management give them a proper roasting (but I'm cynical enough to suspect they won't).

My sympathies - John

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!

Could be that whoever filled that machine switched the hoses. I've had that happen -- push the cola button and get lemon-lime. These days, I pretty much stick to unsweetened iced tea when it's available, and I've learned the hard way that I've gotta sample that, too.

Infuriating, no matter what or who.

Hope the Novolog works its corrective magic right quick!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is really sloppy that they can't manage their stock correctly and hopefully they will take the point from your complaint.

What it does say to me, is that my own approach to "soft drinks" is the only safe one - water only - very boring (but safe).

And that still doesn't excuse the Road Ranger outlet. I hope their senior management give them a proper roasting (but I'm cynical enough to suspect they won't).

My sympathies - John
John - I hate to admit it, but my husband is of the same opinion as you. He has told me many times to quit drink soft drinks, even though they are always diet drinks.

I did try something new to me recently that was quite tasty and that was fresh squeezed lemon juice into a glass of ice water. My older son is into healthy eating, and that is what he drinks.

Reactions: hitcheca

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
John - I hate to admit it, but my husband is of the same opinion as you. He has told me many times to quit drink soft drinks, even though they are always diet drinks.

I did try something new to me recently that was quite tasty and that was fresh squeezed lemon juice into a glass of ice water. My older son is into healthy eating, and that is what he drinks.
Interesting - when I am a bit high in the mornings, that's what Judy serves me as my breakfast "fruit" portion (without the ice - it's cold enough here at this time of year! :))

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aye....it is cold enough (2 degree C, 35 F) here as well. Earlier this week it was -5 C and that is enough to make one want to hibernate all winter.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Unfortunately I think that happens a lot. I will always opt for plain water in places like that unless it comes in a bottle. I remember Dr Bernstein tests his food and drinks with some kind of strips to see if they have glucose in them. I think they are ketone strips or something similar. Yes or diabetes it could be very dangerous. It's good you were on your toes.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Unfortunately I think that happens a lot. I will always opt for plain water in places like that unless it comes in a bottle. I remember Dr Bernstein tests his food and drinks with some kind of strips to see if they have glucose in them. I think they are ketone strips or something similar. Yes or diabetes it could be very dangerous. It's good you were on your toes.
His book calls the test strips "clinistix" or "diastix" and suggests they cost around $12 a pack (based on the 2007 edition of the book)

John

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So....if I get some of these 'clinistix' or 'diastix' and dip them in the liquid - I will be able to tell for certain if the drink contains glucose? Sorry for the query, but I've never used the clinistix or diastix,.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
So....if I get some of these 'clinistix' or 'diastix' and dip them in the liquid - I will be able to tell for certain if the drink contains glucose? Sorry for the query, but I've never used the clinistix or diastix,.
Basically, yes. I believe the pack has full instructions on the timing. I've never used them myself in anger but I think some need to be read immediately and with others you wait 10 seconds.

They were designed as urine test strips but they have been supplanted by the meters, so it's quite likely that some pharmacists won't have a huge stock. The versions I saw in my youth (like forty years back) relied on comparing the colour against a standard colour strip. Since my ability to compare colours (ask Judy) leaves something to be desired, I'm glad we don't still have to use them but for testing things like drinks, they should be fine.

John

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Basically, yes. I believe the pack has full instructions on the timing. I've never used them myself in anger but I think some need to be read immediately and with others you wait 10 seconds.

They were designed as urine test strips but they have been supplanted by the meters, so it's quite likely that some pharmacists won't have a huge stock. The versions I saw in my youth (like forty years back) relied on comparing the colour against a standard colour strip. Since my ability to compare colours (ask Judy) leaves something to be desired, I'm glad we don't still have to use them but for testing things like drinks, they should be fine.

John
LOL.....I think my husband suffers from the same 'condition' in regard to colours as you seem to. When we are getting dressed to go 'out' - you would not believe the colour combinations he comes up with, and then shakes his head in disbelief when I suggest he put on a different shirt with the trousers he has picked. He is not color blind, only when it comes to shades :) We're married over 40 years and he has always been this way.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
This would be very convenient for those times when you are out to eat.

My dentist told me on Tuesday that I can no longer drink diet soda. As a result of my stupid honeymoon and some previous tooth decay, my pH level in my mouth is not right and there is some decay along with some cavities.

Guess it's just water, coffee and tea for me for a while. :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have found that a couple of times drinking soda at a restaurant that I had to get my hubby to taste it because I thought it tasted like full sugar but he assures me it was diet. I guess I might be getting used to it

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
LOL.....I think my husband suffers from the same 'condition' in regard to colours as you seem to. When we are getting dressed to go 'out' - you would not believe the colour combinations he comes up with, and then shakes his head in disbelief when I suggest he put on a different shirt with the trousers he has picked. He is not color blind, only when it comes to shades :) We're married over 40 years and he has always been this way.
Judy agrees with your suggestion - she says she has the same issue with me when I dress to go out! Completely untrue - honest - this is definitely dark red. See! :peace: John

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
This is exactly why I do not buy fountain drinks anymore. If I want a diet soda, I will buy it in the bottle, can, whatever. This way you know that someone made a mistake, or was messing around to be "funny". They just don't understand that to a diabetic, drinking a full sugar soda could be "deadly". Hahahaha, NOT!

When hubby and I go out to eat we always order ice water. No harm there. I've cut back drastically on my diet soda intake since cutting carbs and such. I do drink more water than before and I of course drink plenty of coffee. Other than that, I maybe drink one can of soda or diet iced tea a day, but I don't think I've had any in the past couple of days. I used to drink 3-4 cans a day. I think before getting serious with the diet it was satisfying that sweet craving for me. Since low carbing I don't really have that craving anymore, so no need to drink soda. :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Please forgive me for bumping this thread, but this same type of incident has happened once again in the same place!

Earlier today 10-6-12 I stopped at the same place for a diet soda. I have not been back to this place since the original incident in Jan 2012. This time I dispensed the diet soda myself and took a drink of it. Hmmm...it tasted like Cherry Coke. I made a verbal comment and the older lady standing next to me waiting to use the Diet Coke dispenser said "Is something wrong with your drink"? I told her "Yes, I wanted a Diet Coke and this is NOT diet - now my blood sugar will go up as I am diabetic." She indicated her husband was also diabetic. Then she grinned and said "My husband is the manager (of the same company which is Road Ranger) of a station about two hrs drive from here."

She told me I should bring it to the attention of the register clerk before I left the building - which I did. The clerk's answer..............."Oh...sorry, you got Cherry Pepsi and someone didn't change the sign". So not only was the drink mis-labeled, they KNEW it was wrong.

Not ever going back to that place again and if I drink soft drinks, it will be from a can or not at all - which is probably better for me anyway. Thank you for putting up with my post.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts