The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in August 2005 when I was 17.
As much as I hate to say it, I haven't taken very good care of myself until pretty much April of this year. I had an accident in September of 2005 where my sugar got low and I fell to the ground. I had to have surgery due to an issue inside my head (I think they said I had busted an artery). Ever since that time until this past April, I pretty much didn't take care of myself like I should have. I was always fearful of Lantus because of the fall (It's the background insulin. I know it wasn't the Novolog because I hadn't taken any in many hours beforehand). This, I'm assuming, was due to the honeymoon period because I now take more Lantus today than I was initially told to take back then. Anyways, I was always weird about taking a lot of Lantus. I still took some but never enough. I know this because I would not eat for a while and it would be rather high. My blood sugar for probably a few years was in the mid 200's. Sometimes I would have mid 100's and rarely I would have readings in the 300's and 400's. With the type of Insulin treatment my Father was taking (he died in May 2005 of Lung Cancer) and the type my Brother currently takes, if they were to have readings high like that, their insulin would make their sugars drop as time goes on. The lantus I take is NOWHERE near the amount my Brother takes. I take 32 units split up into 2 doses a day (16/16) and I take 1 unit of Novolog for every 10 grams of Carbohydrates I consume. My concern with myself is my blood sugars never had the opportunity to do this. It stayed that way, if not gotten higher due to not enough Lantus. I checked my sugar when I got up, before most meals, and before I went to bed but due to the lack of proper dosage of Lantus, they stayed high. Currently and fortunately for me, I have no complications. I went to the eye Doctor a year ago, and he said I had no damage done to my eyes. My legs feel fine, and everything else seems generally fine. My sugars since April have been between 80-130 with an occasional high due to bad carb counting (spaghetti is ALWAYS difficult!). I'm just really concerned about those occasional highs building up over much time and then those years of steady mid 250's being the average catching up with me. I know, this is my own fault. I'm hoping being a non- smoker will help me out a bit, as I know smoking can make diabetes worse in many ways. I'm hoping though I have some of my Dad's good genes in me. He was a smoker for 40 years and had diabetes for 25-30 years before he died. I read on this forum and others in the past about people having average readings and, even though I do now, feel so bad about my mistakes in the past. I heard though, before new insulins like Lantus, Diabetes was a lot harder to control back then. Also, Diabetes was a lot worse in terms of knowing sugar readings due to their being no meters. To anyone who has had it for many years, my question to you is: Exactly how bad was Diabetes back then? I read somewhere numbers like mine 200's and the rare 300's and 400's were common back then but I'm sure they were temporary due to insulin dropping whereas my Lantus stayed the same the entire time. Thanks for reading. I'm sorry if my post was too long! I didn't really know how to sum it up in short, so I figured I would just explain it all!

·
Registered
9 Posts
You must forget past and start afresh, living in present. I am also on Lantus alongwith Actrapid (twice i.e. before my lunch and dinner, other meds gliclazide thrice and pioglitazone before dinner). Since you have started keeping good control, nothing to worry about.

Keep positive thoughts in mind. A lot of research is going on for treatment of DM. May be we will see oral insulin in 2-3 yrs time. If occasionally BG levels go up to 180, I think not a matter of much worry-though this is my own opinion, many may not agree with this, but for diabetics, spike are actually obvious.

Keep in touch, there are many informed and knowledgeable people you'll find in this forum to help you out.

Thanks
Neeraj, India.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yea those days were fun. I took 1 sot a day and had to feed it at certain times throughout the day. As far as high numbers go I still get high numbers in the 300's from time to time but don't worry about what has hapened in the past. We live every day in the present so concentrate your energies there and you will be much better off.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, JRay . . . many of our members are type 1 or insulin-dependent type 2s, and have put in many years getting and keeping their diabetes under control. The rest of us are your cheering section, even though we may not confront quite the same issues you are facing.

It sounds like you've been checked out pretty well with few or no complications, so you're good to turn over a new leaf & take control from here on in. Have any of your care providers spoken with you about going on a pump? Most of the type 1s I know are pumping, and it gives marvelous control.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The pump rocks! It has been the most liberating thing ever in the course of my dealings with my diabetes. I highly recommend it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts