The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Glad to be here. My name is Carrie. I've been type 1 for 26 years. Glad to have found this site! I was 10 when I was first diagnosed.
Lately I have been going through severe pain. My muscles ache everyday, my skin is sensitive to the touch, and my joints hurt. I get out of bed and almost fall. I have had no health insurance for 17 years. I pay out of pocket for doc visits and all my insulin and meds. I know I have some form of neuropathy. My doc put me on amitryptiline (sp) and vicodan for my severe pain. I hate narcotics and only take a half of a pill with advil when needed. I'm wondering if anyone else here knows maybe about fibromyalgia or any other thing this may be. My skin pain also migrates. I work a full time job on my feet for 8-12 hours a day and also a part time job. The pain is beginning to interfere with my work. Any advice would be more than helpful!
Glad to be here! Thanks!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Carrie! There are so many type 1s roaming around here that you'll feel right at home! ;) I hope you'll find some answers too . . . sure glad you're here!

I know the feeling about vicodin, but I think you're safe with the amitriptyline . . . my DH has taken it for years & it really does help.

G

·
welcome Carrie :) I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time with pain... it would make it difficult to be on your feet all day too. I don't have experience with the drugs you're using. I can relate in that I have ongoing pain, but in my stomach as I've just been diagnosed yesterday with functional dyspepsia, so I'm on a few drugs to control symptoms of that. I work full time also. I'm type 2 on full time insulin. I'm sure you'll find this forum a great resource for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing. I'm pretty sure there are others here who have experience with neuropathy and/or fibromyalgia.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello all! Glad to be here. My name is Carrie. I've been type 1 for 26 years. Glad to have found this site! I was 10 when I was first diagnosed.
Lately I have been going through severe pain. My muscles ache everyday, my skin is sensitive to the touch, and my joints hurt. I get out of bed and almost fall. I have had no health insurance for 17 years. I pay out of pocket for doc visits and all my insulin and meds. I know I have some form of neuropathy. My doc put me on amitryptiline (sp) and vicodan for my severe pain. I hate narcotics and only take a half of a pill with advil when needed. I'm wondering if anyone else here knows maybe about fibromyalgia or any other thing this may be. My skin pain also migrates. I work a full time job on my feet for 8-12 hours a day and also a part time job. The pain is beginning to interfere with my work. Any advice would be more than helpful!
Glad to be here! Thanks!
Hello Carrie and welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of information on here, read what interests you and if you can't find something, just do a search. Are you taking a statin drug for cholesterol? That is the first thing I think of when someone has alot of muscle pain. I am not sure what other kind of drugs that your doctor can use. I know there are a few medications for neuropathy. If your pain is starting to affect your work, you may have to look for a job where you can sit down. I hope you are able to visit often and take care!

·
Registered
633 Posts
What you have described sounds like fibromyalgia more than neuropothy. The part that makes me say that is the sensitivity to touch. I have known some women that have have it and they would talk about not being able to have even a sheet touch them when they sleep because of the pain it caused. That and the part you said it not being in same place all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! Wow, this site and people are very informative!
The job I have now will give me insurance in June so hopefully I'll get some testing done to see what's going on.
Autoimmune diseases run in our family. My mom has stage 4 lung cancer ( non smoker!) my dad and sister have fibro, my sister also has osteoarthritis and had her hip replaced in October (she's 33)
I have tried to research some about the link between diabetes and lupus and fibro. I have ALOT of those symptoms.
I will keep searching and keep everyone updated! Please let me know more info on friends and people maybe with the same issues. This site is amazing. Thanks again all!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome Carrie! Glad you found us.

I have fibromyalgia, have had for years, and have been to conferences, done piles of research. I manage it reasonably well, though it's still challenging.

Adjitater is right about high sensitivity to pain. People with fibromyalgia have 3x the amt of Substance P in their spinal cord. Substance P is a pain receptor, and so things that wouldn't feel painful to others are to people with fibromyalgia. Everyone with fibromyalgia has sleep issues, and if this is the case with you, the first line of defense is to use a medication to help with sleep and enable Stage 4 sleep (simplistically the stage when the body repairs itself.) I'll be glad to answer any other questions privately so not to start a fibromyalgia thread :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Are you taking any kind of statin drugs. Last summer I had the same symptoms and at first thought it was fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome. It turned out I was having a terrible reaction to prevarastatin which was literally eating away at my muscles and ligaments. Once I stopped the drugs most of the symptoms were gone within a few months. I still have some residual shoulder pain but I am working on that with exercise. I felt like I aged 30 years in a month. There are lots of autoimmune conditions like fibro that tend to hit diabetics harder than the normal population. I hope you figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Carrie!
I have fibromyalgia which sounds like what you are describing.
I also have MS with chronic fatigue
I find the bone aches and muscle aches to be more Fibro.
I am taking meds for it but they are expensive..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for your input. I have been researching more and more. The more it seems like fibro. Maybe lupus. My thighs are weak. I almost fall down the stairs. My joints click and pop every 5 minutes. I'm in close to severe pain and in tears right now. I just got off a 10 hour work day and can barely stand. I dint have insurance and about at wits end. Is there any help out there? I hate to try to self diagnose. But I don't know what eelse to do. I should NOT feel like this at 36. I'm scared.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Carrie - are you having trouble sleeping - either waking up a few hours after you go to sleep, or waking up too early in the morning? If yes, I'd suspect fibro. If not, it most likely isn't.

You're right not to self-diagnose, and none of us can either. You do need to see a doctor. Is there an inexpensive clinic in your area? There's a very inexpensive way to get blood tests that your doctor may want to order:

Doctors slash patients' lab-test costs - CNN.com

The site to find out if there's a PrepaidLab in your area:

Online Medical Lab Tests | Blood Tests | Locate a Lab - Find the Nearest LabTesting Facility

There are generics that can help you with sleep and are very inexpensive. I take trazodone, along with gabapentin, and it enables me to get restorative sleep and helps with the pain. They're very benign meds.

I'm sorry you're feeling so scared and understand. Please figure out a way to see a doctor though - you know how important it is to prioritize your health.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thanks all for your input. I have been researching more and more. The more it seems like fibro. Maybe lupus. My thighs are weak. I almost fall down the stairs. My joints click and pop every 5 minutes. I'm in close to severe pain and in tears right now. I just got off a 10 hour work day and can barely stand. I dint have insurance and about at wits end. Is there any help out there? I hate to try to self diagnose. But I don't know what eelse to do. I should NOT feel like this at 36. I'm scared.
Take some pain medication when you are in severe pain, there is no sense to be in pain if you have something to fight it. When you get home from work, try and sit down or lie down and give yourself a good rest. Lyrica is supposed to be a good medication for fibro, it does cost $200 for 75mg of drugs per day. Going without insurance puts a stress on everyone who needs medication and can't afford it. I would look into NeedyMeds and see if you qualify for help now. When you are scared, come online and find someone to talk to, this is a great place to get help when you really need it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Also, if you live near a teaching hospital many have research studies to help you out and check out what the hospitals policy is if you don't have insurance or a low income. Check everything out. I was surprised at what help hospitals give out if you have nothing. It would help for you to look into everything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes moon,
I have trouble sleeping. It takes me forever to get to sleep even when I'm
So tired. I'll wake up way before my alarm, middle of the night, whenever. Coffee in the morning is no longer helping me. I rest and don't get out of bed on my days off. I can't do the things I used to normally. Grocery and shopping was fun for me. Now it takes all I have. I was at the grocery and almost called my fiancé to come get me cause I was sooooooo exhausted. Scary. The insides of my knees hurt so bad and are swollen. It's hard for me to go down a flight of stairs, feels like I'll fall down. I fell down the basement stairs a few months ago. Twisted and sprained ankle, but got through it.
Anyways, sleeping is difficult.

G

·
:hug: Carrie you really need to see a doctor by the sounds of things. Others here have offered good advice. I have pain with my condition too and when you're working full time and you're losing out on sleep it makes it hard to perform your best and it also makes it harder to control your BGLs (I've definitely noticed). Sometimes I get 2-3 hours sleep and have to work a full day and I'm extremely tired. I'm fatigued all the time lately. Sleep is very important for us diabetics... it's nice when we can get a good sleep of 7+ hours at least. If you're able to take pain meds... give it a try. I'm only allowed to take panadol at the moment which does nothing for me... that's why I'm on 3x other drug types to help out. They don't help when I have a headache though. We're all here to listen to you and offer our support. We are all going through different ailments and experiences... but as you have found out already there are some who are experiencing the same as you and can speak from experience. Keep us posted on how you're doing. I would think a teaching hospital would be a good idea too... do you have one in your area? It's the same here... they're cheaper or free to the public.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Carrie, do you have any grocery stores that have the motorized carts? I get out of breath easy and have been using the carts and it has sparked my interest in shopping once again. If I was a technical person (but I am not) I would design a motorized cart, one with a hug basket for groceries.

G

·
Carrie, do you have any grocery stores that have the motorized carts? I get out of breath easy and have been using the carts and it has sparked my interest in shopping once again. If I was a technical person (but I am not) I would design a motorized cart, one with a hug basket for groceries.
what a great idea Breeze :D Maybe even looking at getting a gopher would help? My grandad has one of them and he loves it... you have a basket on the front... or the back.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Lyrica is supposed to be a good medication for fibro, it does cost $200 for 75mg of drugs per day. Going without insurance puts a stress on everyone who needs medication and can't afford it.
The good news is that you don't need Lyrica, you can use gabapentin which is the generic for Neurontin. Lyrica came onto the market when Neurontin's patent was running out and is chemically almost identical. The therapeutic dose I take costs $30/month at Costco and I'm sure would be the same from a good mail-order pharmacy.

If you have fibro, please know there is help available. It's a challenging condition, but you can reduce your pain significantly once you know how and have medical support.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts