The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Tina. I was diagnosed with diabetes (type 1) almost 2 years ago. I was 270 pounds, going through a very bad divorce and very depressed. When the doctor told me I was diabetic, I was willing to do anything to change it. I started drinking a lot of water. I only ate, seafood, chicken, salads, turkey and more salads. I was taking 500 milligrams of metformin, twice a day. I didn't want to take it for the rest of my life. I walked 3 miles, 3 to 4 times a week. I went down to 213 pounds, but still had to take the metformin. I met someone who introduced me to an all natural liquid vitamin. He told me his brother and sister both had High Blood Pressure and after 3 months of taking the vitamin, their Blood Pressures are normal, they no longer have to take High Blood Pressure pills. He told me they changed their diet, exercised more and took the daily vitamins, now they're fine. I wanted to try it, I followed what he told me to do. After 3 months, I went to the doctor in December and he told me my blood sugar level was normal. I was so happy, I just wanted to share my experience with those who go through, what I have for almost 2 years. I've regained control of my life, now I'm going to work on losing another 60 to 70 pounds.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Tina: :)

Since you specified that you were Type 1, I'm amazed that you are still alive only using Metformin, exercise, diet...oh ya and vitamins.

Quite frankly, if you were a Type 1 and not using Insulin, you would be deceased within 2 months. Too many have died from lack of Insulin. I do hope that you are not spreading that false info around.

If you are a Type 2, doing exercises and diet, then Yes, you could certainly go off the Metformin and other drugs for a long time. Losing the weight also brings down the high blood pressure along with the diet and exercises. Congrats on losing the weight and Good Luck with losing the rest of it and your New destiny.

Have a Nice Day! :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Tina

Tina, welcome to our community! I agree with Terrie. A type 1 cannot live very long without insulin. Maybe your doctor meant to say Type 2 and does not realize he said Type 1. You should contact your doctor to clarify that. Your being overweight usually indicates Type 2 rather than Type 1.

The important thing is that you are doing very well with your diabetes management. You are on the right path to good control. Keep up the good work!

Richard

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know all too well of using Metformin to treat type I diabetes-- remember I was misdiagnosed.. and after less than 1 month without insulin my body was on shut down... I believe in some herbal remedies and homeopathic beliefs but when it comes to something such as diabetes or high blood pressure-- I will stay with conventional medicine... Congrats on the weight loss..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I'm sorry. It is type 2 Diabetes. I was told several years before that I was borderline. If I didn't lose weight and change my diet that I would be diabetic. I didn't listen. My father is diabetic also. I'm here because I need to educated myself about Diabetes and make sure it is kept under control. I was looking for a natural way to deal with Diabetes. So far, by taking the vitamins, I've been fine. I will monitor this and see what happens. I just wanted to share a positive sucess story.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tina, welcome to our community! I agree with Terrie. A type 1 cannot live very long without insulin. Maybe your doctor meant to say Type 2 and does not realize he said Type 1. You should contact your doctor to clarify that. Your being overweight usually indicates Type 2 rather than Type 1.

The important thing is that you are doing very well with your diabetes management. You are on the right path to good control. Keep up the good work!

Richard
Thank you, I will take one day at a time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know all too well of using Metformin to treat type I diabetes-- remember I was misdiagnosed.. and after less than 1 month without insulin my body was on shut down... I believe in some herbal remedies and homeopathic beliefs but when it comes to something such as diabetes or high blood pressure-- I will stay with conventional medicine... Congrats on the weight loss..
Thank you,
I understand, and I believe it's the stage a person is in. Since I was diagnosed at the beginning stages, I had a better chance of getting it under control. I look forward to learning from you all, and keeping it under control.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts