The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, for me anyway, I'm now totally convinced moderate exercise is great for me.

This morning immediately before breakfast I was at an 8.1(146) thanks to my stupid liver... I then ate a 2-egg omelette with no-sugar ham, tomato, green onion, spices plus 1/2 piece of whole grain toast with natural PB and no-sugar jam.

An hour and a half after breakfast I got on my bike. 2 minute warmup, 5 minutes easy, 10 minutes moderate, 5 minutes easy and 2 minutes cooldown. 24 minutes in total.

Washed myself off, dried up and tested my BG. Was down to a 6.6(119) ...

That's a decent drop and a nice 2hr post reading, I do believe. Especially considering where I was only 1month ago when I was finally diagnosed (fasting 14.8 a1c of 12.1%).

Every time I've done moderate exercise it's been good for my blood sugars immediately. Any time I do intense (where my legs really 'pump up' with blood, or I push to muscle soreness) my BG is either the same or slightly higher than pre-exercise.

Anyway, what works for me MAY work for others. It may not. But thought I'd share.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
OK, for me anyway, I'm now totally convinced moderate exercise is great for me.

This morning immediately before breakfast I was at an 8.1(146) thanks to my stupid liver... I then ate a 2-egg omelette with no-sugar ham, tomato, green onion, spices plus 1/2 piece of whole grain toast with natural PB and no-sugar jam.

An hour and a half after breakfast I got on my bike. 2 minute warmup, 5 minutes easy, 10 minutes moderate, 5 minutes easy and 2 minutes cooldown. 24 minutes in total.

Washed myself off, dried up and tested my BG. Was down to a 6.6(119) ...

That's a decent drop and a nice 2hr post reading, I do believe. Especially considering where I was only 1month ago when I was finally diagnosed (fasting 14.8 a1c of 12.1%).

Every time I've done moderate exercise it's been good for my blood sugars immediately. Any time I do intense (where my legs really 'pump up' with blood, or I push to muscle soreness) my BG is either the same or slightly higher than pre-exercise.

Anyway, what works for me MAY work for others. It may not. But thought I'd share.
Did you ride your bike outside? If I had a bike, I wouldn't get very far on it this time of the year. I would be slipping everywhere! I just have my stationary bike, I can ride that year round and I never fall! :biggrin1:

·
Registered
165 Posts
whatever works we are all an exerpiment of one. sometimes easier stuff works great other times i need to add intensity internvals in there (and for some that causes a spike) great job! and just because I am a noodge have you looked at a tour de cure in your area?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you ride your bike outside? If I had a bike, I wouldn't get very far on it this time of the year. I would be slipping everywhere! I just have my stationary bike, I can ride that year round and I never fall! :biggrin1:
Heaven's no... not many Canadians are crazy enough to ride a bike outside in January, except those lucky enough to live on the west coast... I meant my stationary exercise bike, LOL.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use to do a lot of intense workouts in the gym- kick boxing, weight lifting, Boot Camp BOSU, and all sorts of other workouts. I would always spike 30-100 points, very frustrating. When I play 2 hours of tennis with lots of running I usually spike about 40 points. When I go out and walk in my neighborhood 3-4 miles I either stay the same or go down. So I think the moderate walking is better for me, too. January has been very cold and snowy, though. Wind Chill today is -2, which makes walking a challenge. So I try to do somekind of workout inside. I don't own a treadmill, but reall need to buy one.

·
Registered
344 Posts
whatever works we are all an exerpiment of one. sometimes easier stuff works great other times i need to add intensity internvals in there (and for some that causes a spike) great job! and just because I am a noodge have you looked at a tour de cure in your area?

Great job Beefy. Positive results is a pickmeupper and encourages me. I love the moderate rides that I do and I love the hard ones also. The moderates will pull my BS down and the tough ones raises it.

As for the Tour DeCure2 look here.

You might be able to find a city close to you. Starting out a 12 mile would be great, easy and fun. I am planning on doing a 52 mile with our local in May.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great job Beefy. Positive results is a pickmeupper and encourages me. I love the moderate rides that I do and I love the hard ones also. The moderates will pull my BS down and the tough ones raises it.

As for the Tour DeCure2 look here.

You might be able to find a city close to you. Starting out a 12 mile would be great, easy and fun. I am planning on doing a 52 mile with our local in May.
Tour de Cure seems to be just an ADA thing. In Canada they have 'Team Diabetes' walking/running/cycling events. Not much in my area.

The closest bike ride to me is Tour de Cure near Bozeman Montana, lol... Long drives hurt my back though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts