The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously I am new to this site, But I am looking forward to a long and happy time here. I was diagnoised back in the late 90"s and did fine up to about 2006. Then I got fed up, said the hell with it, and simply ignored the fact that I had diabetes. Fast forward to July 2011. I had a blister on my right foot that would not heal. I was thirsty, frequent urination, dry mouth at night, etc. So I made an appointment at the clinic I used to go to. Today I suspose I am doing better. I am on a min. dose of Metformin in the evening. I was for a while, however on a min dose of Glimepiride in the am, along with the Metaformin, and was doing great. I see the Doc. at the end of the month and will try to get me back on the Glimepiride, again. I am on an 1800cal., ADA type diet, and have a great dietician, and really not interested in making changes there. I have tons of questions, but that for another time.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Welcome Earle,

How are your numbers? A1C? BG's? etc. How is that blister coming along?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I was on both meds, I was averaging around 105, right now I would say 130. I am going to the podiatrist in another 10, and I am hopeful it is not the beginning of an ulcer.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi Earle, welcome to the site! Sorry about your foot, I truly hope it gets better.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Other than that you're in good health?

Try lowering your carbs a bit, away from the ADA diet. I started with that also but the canadian version, my numbers didn't start to improve till I lowered my carbs a bit more. I have about 100-120g a day, which is high for most on this forum. That brought my numbers down quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Earle - welcome to the forum.

Great that you're working now to control your diabetes. I was out of control also for who knows how long until I was dx'ed - and more damage was done than I at first was led to believe. It's never too soon to grab the reins, that's for sure!

You said you're not interested in making changes that might veer off from the ADA and your dietician's advice, but my best advice would be to keep an open mind. The one thing I learned is that diabetes is not a single disease and we are not cookie-cutters of one another. Jenny Ruhl of bloodsugar101.com even knew someone whose bs would spike on eating fat - truly remarkable!

So - since we're not all alike, it's not possible for the ADA to come up with a singular formula that works for everyone. In my case, I was faced with a choice: follow my CDE's/ADA's guidelines and live with higher bs than I was comfortable with, or take more medication - or adjust my diet so my testing reflected controlled bs in a range I wanted. I chose the later, and was able to drop one of my medications.

If you've done reading here, you will see lots of advocacy for lower carb diet, and that's because it has worked for so many of us. We can be passionate about it, so be prepared :) That said, if someone is testing while eating a high-carb diet (which the ADA diet is) and their blood sugar is controlled and they're fine with the amt of medication required to maintain that range, then -- we do try to leave you alone cuz honestly .. we mean well :)

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: 1970clea

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Moon,

Promise I will keep an open mind! I generally do around 100grms, of carbs or less per day.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Moon,

Promise I will keep an open mind! I generally do around 100grms, of carbs or less per day.
Hey, can't ask for more than that. And - 100 carb grms/day is far less than I was told to eat. I was told 185/day - which I suppose might be okay for a non-diabetic or a T1.

Glad you're 'round the campfire :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts