The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about my rise in readings. Can't figure out what's causing it. I'm drinking whey protein drinks, and in the afternoon I'm drinking 1 cup of coffee with a SF Torani flavoring. My AIC is tomorrow and I have a gut feeling there will be no change. The higher readings have been since the last week in Jun; been ranging 133-86 with one reading in the morn of 156 and one evening of 221.

I'm a worrier and that might be the problem...I worry about things I can't control like the weather; 91 with heat index of 108 @ 10:30 in the morn...I need to do things outside (it's too hot). Lack of rain is not helping, worrying about my cattle not having grass to eat.

I do have an appt with Dr this afternoon cause of a low grade fever; diarrhea, loss of appetite.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Hi, Mimi! :hug:

Stress, illness, even weather changes can raise our BGs, even if we're doing everything else right!

(If you're not eating enough, your liver will overflow with glucose to keep you from "starving." It's called a "liver dump," and that causes spikes too.)

When all else fails, I get hold of my doc (usually via phone or email) and ask about adjusting my meds. Sometimes it's the only way to achieve -- or get back to -- better levels.

Your signature indicates that you're testing twice a day. If possible, you may want to test 1 hour and 2 hours after meals as well. When I remember to do that, it gives me precious info about how foods are treating me, and what my trends are throughout the day.

Hope you find your answer(s) right quick!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
about my rise in readings. Can't figure out what's causing it. I'm drinking whey protein drinks, and in the afternoon I'm drinking 1 cup of coffee with a SF Torani flavoring. My AIC is tomorrow and I have a gut feeling there will be no change. The higher readings have been since the last week in Jun; been ranging 133-86 with one reading in the morn of 156 and one evening of 221.

I'm a worrier and that might be the problem...I worry about things I can't control like the weather; 91 with heat index of 108 @ 10:30 in the morn...I need to do things outside (it's too hot). Lack of rain is not helping, worrying about my cattle not having grass to eat.

I do have an appt with Dr this afternoon cause of a low grade fever; diarrhea, loss of appetite.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
This could be the culprit too, Mimi . . . anything going on like this often shows up in your BG before there are any other symptoms.

We need rain too - our grass is turning brown; we don't have cattle, but we were talking the other night about a few years ago when it was so dry & our neighbors had to resort to feeding in the summer because there was no grass growing.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have to be careful with whey powder, especially at breakfast. It usually spikes me. Also as said above if I only drink coffee for lunch my bgs would spike very high because of liver dump. I try to eat 200-400 calories every 3-4 hours, until dinner which is usually more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts