The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I came back and I wanted to explain why I'd left for a while in the first place. It was NOBODY'S fault! I'm very prone to depression and it seemed everyone was doing well except for me. What really happened, as I see it now, is my depression caused me to lose some interest in taking care of myself, so of course my sugar went higher, then more depression - you know the cycle. I feel lots better now and except for an occasional falling off the carb wagon, I'm paying a lot more attention to sticking to healthier foods, esp. because I developed slight neuropathy in my right foot. That scared me, and I probably needed that scare in order to get motivated.

It's so great to see a lot of familiar names and of course new ones. Online support groups are fantastic - you don't even have to get out of your night clothes to talk with people! And where I am it's 3:35 a.m. I'm a nightowl but there's always someone to talk to here! Love and peace to each one of you :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Rosa, I am new here... Diagnosed 3 weeks ago with type 2. I know exactly what you are going through. I've been up and down with my depression for a few years and never looked after myself. Being diagnosed gave me a kick up the bum and I'm so glad I found this forum. It's been the BIGGEST source of information and inspiration.
I look forward to talking more with you and getting to know you :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi!

Hi Rosa, I am new here... Diagnosed 3 weeks ago with type 2. I know exactly what you are going through. I've been up and down with my depression for a few years and never looked after myself. Being diagnosed gave me a kick up the bum and I'm so glad I found this forum. It's been the BIGGEST source of information and inspiration.
I look forward to talking more with you and getting to know you :)
I also look forward to getting to know you; there are so many nice people here and if you're feeling down at least you know you're not alone.

Talk to you real soon :)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
It's so great to see a lot of familiar names and of course new ones. Online support groups are fantastic - you don't even have to get out of your night clothes to talk with people! And where I am it's 3:35 a.m. I'm a nightowl but there's always someone to talk to here! Love and peace to each one of you :)
Hi Rosa! I'm one of the new names here. I was diagnosed in June of this year. I agree that this is a fantastic support group. I think diabetes and depression must be connected in some way.
Love and peace back to you:D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Rosa, welcome back. I so understand where you are coming from. I remember when I first started online forums I got easily frustrated. I was doing everything right with LC diet, exercise and medication and still had higher bgs sometimes. I would see others come on and just make little changes to their lifestyle and get much lower numbers. It took me quite awhile to realise that each one of us is so different and may have to do different things to control our Diabetes. I know how hard it is to stick to a LC diet when it seems it is not working and boy have I fallen off the wagon so many times too. The important thing is you are back now and trying to deal with the many faces of this disease.

Reactions: 1970clea

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Welcome back Rosa! It's great to see you back, hear you're feeling better, and have been tackling the management of your diabetes.

Yeah!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm very prone to depression and it seemed everyone was doing well except for me. What really happened, as I see it now, is my depression caused me to lose some interest in taking care of myself, so of course my sugar went higher, then more depression - you know the cycle.
Rosa, I know only too well what you are talking about. I feel exactly the same way. Trying to get my numbers to an even decent place is such a struggle for me...and I get depressed, upset, and angry that so many others here have made small tweeks and get great results. I make HUGE tweeks and still run high :mad: But, it is not to say I'm not happy and thrilled for those who are getting wonderful results :) I am, but I want to be them and that old green eye starts rearing its ugly head :embarassed: Just stick with it though Rosa; things will get better. Please just don't give up and if you ever need encouragement, or someone who is feeling the way you do, just find me! I'm a great person to rant to and rant with! Hugs! You can do this Rosa!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Depression sucks. I just read in the news this week, an article about a LARGE study, in which depression was linked to Vitamin D deficiency ... which is in turn also linked to diabetes of both types! If you have not done so, you might want to get a serum 25(OH)D blood test, and some recommendations for supplementation. I know how much better it made me feel to take it!

Granted they cautioned that they do not know if it is a causative relationship ... but it is there.

ahhh here it is: http://news.yahoo.com/large-study-links-depression-low-levels-vitamin-d-160815041.html

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome!

hello, I am new, also depression for some times, but most time the reason is my work
sophia star, you know what? You're gonna like it here! I've had depression problems off and on all my life, but for the most part I've had a happy life. My doctor just changed my antidepressant; sometimes changes in meds need to be made. I've only been on Lexapro since about Jan. 2, but already I feel a positive difference.

Oh, I did get a lot better after I left my job years ago, but my depression is genetic so I can't blame it entirely on that job (which I'd grown to hate).

I've been keeping better glucose levels. Diabetes runs in my family, so when I was diagnosed in my mid-forties (I'm 66 now) I wasn't at all surprised. But dang, I love chocolate and carbs!

There are so many kind people here and I look forward to seeing you often. I don't get a chance to stop by every single day, but I try (usually during the wee hours, like now).

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Great to see your phosphors, Rosa!

Just so you know, you're soooo not alone with that whole getting-back-on-the-wagon thing. But it looks like we're all back on board!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Shalynne

Great to see your phosphors, Rosa!

Just so you know, you're soooo not alone with that whole getting-back-on-the-wagon thing. But it looks like we're all back on board!

You're all so welcoming. I'm on a different antidepressant now - before I got feeling so down when I saw everyone seemed to be doing well except me. But then I realized the depression I was in had me kind of lose interest in myself. Now that I'm feeling so much better, I'm taking care of myself.

Moon, if you see this, you've been wonderfully encouraging. And a big thanks to you, Shalynne!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.