The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new, but was able to log on to some spot where some kind people helped me with advice about fighting severe low blood sugars. One person suggested I take my Lantus in the morning, and I just wanted to say I started this morning and I am still standing. I wish I could find where that discussion was happening. There was a snafu with my registration, and perhaps I am starting as a newbie again and all will be revealed at a later date.
Anyway, Dan (I think), thank you.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hmmm . . . I'm not much of a sleuth, and my memory isn't helping me right now either, but I'm happy to find you here now, Kathryn. :D

I don't use insulin yet, but I know one of the tricks to getting better management is timing. Keep us posted on how it plays out . . . I think once you discover what time of day works best, or even if you need to split the dosage between morning & night, you can maintain the new routine as long as it works for you.

Are you taking any bolus insulin?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I take my Lantus in the morning also

I take Lantus in the morning. I don't know what forum you might have been in, this one has many nice people.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome to the boards!

G

·
welcome Kathryn... glad you could join us.
I'm on Lantus and Apidra. I take my Lantus 8.30pm everyday and that's because I was asked to take it at night to decrease my fasting BGL in the morning. But at this stage that could change for me as I'm still under endo's close eye as I've been on insulin for almost a year now and I've changed insulin types a couple of times already. But my personal experience with Lantus so far is that it seems to wear off and I don't think it lasts 24 hours as they claim... more like 12-18 hours I reckon.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking for the type 1 folks

I have type 1, and have been taking insulin for 20 years. I currently take 5 injections a day, and the "thread" I started was about the violent reaction I have to help when my blood sugars drop extremely low. Although it doesn't happen too often, when it does it's around 3 AM, and it is horrible. I have no memory of any of it until after my housemate has been able to force me to ingest sugar in some form. I started the thread on Sunday, and was very excited that some people had shared that experience and had advice for me. I would like to continue that conversation, but I don't know where they are. Unfortunately, I am close to illiterate with technology. Probably anybody else would have no trouble reconnecting.
Anyway, I have switched my Lantus to morning, and last night I was shockingly high, but I took 1.5 units of humulog, and this morning I was 40...which actually is not a problem for me, though I know for others it is extreme. I am a tiny person, and I seem very sensitive to changes in medication, amounts, schedules, diets... I am going to keep with the morning Lantus for awhile to see if it works out.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
welcome Kathryn... glad you could join us.
I'm on Lantus and Apidra. I take my Lantus 8.30pm everyday and that's because I was asked to take it at night to decrease my fasting BGL in the morning. But at this stage that could change for me as I'm still under endo's close eye as I've been on insulin for almost a year now and I've changed insulin types a couple of times already. But my personal experience with Lantus so far is that it seems to wear off and I don't think it lasts 24 hours as they claim... more like 12-18 hours I reckon.
When I took Lantus I found the same thing to be true - it lasted 12-18 hours. So I split the dose in half taking about 40% in the morning and 60% in the evening.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My insulin to carb ratio is much different in the morning (1:5) than in the evening (almost 1:1) and I attribute that to the fact that my lantus has worn off.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. This is a great forum. There is another forum with a very similar name, I got confused in the beginning, too. You sound like a veteran and can give lots of good advice. Again, glad you found us.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am new, but was able to log on to some spot where some kind people helped me with advice about fighting severe low blood sugars. One person suggested I take my Lantus in the morning, and I just wanted to say I started this morning and I am still standing. I wish I could find where that discussion was happening. There was a snafu with my registration, and perhaps I am starting as a newbie again and all will be revealed at a later date.
Anyway, Dan (I think), thank you.
Hello and :welcome: We are glad to have you at this forum! Please take your time and read what interests you. I take Lantus everynight at 9PM and I have no problems. Waking up in the middle of the night and feeling hypo is no fun. I hope you have time to visit often and take care.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did a Google search using diabetes forum low blood sugars. I found several but don't know which yours might be. A couple I looked at were
www.dlife.com and diabetesdaily.com. There are many listed from the search, but the one that had the most postings was here.

I don't know if that is helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts