The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings folks, I'm a long time Type 1 diabetic (let me think... 23 years now? yikes) and have been on many various boards etc, they are always fun.

I've been on a variety of insulin treatments, used the Minimed Paradigm pump for a few years (just got so sick of it always being there), and am very recently back on shots, now of Humalog and Levemir.

My wife and I are new residents of WV, formerly of NY, and also the DC Metro area. In the process of getting a new suite of doctors (fun fun *gag*) and I'm already finding that my current endocrinologist needs to be switched out. Sending weekly reports of my sugar levels with NO response to 300+ sugars (like hey, adjust my dosages, heeellloooo) proves to me that I need a new doctor.

So, here I am, I'll be perusing the forums, looking to suck all the information I can out of this place, and I will try to inject humor, and my life experiences as I can.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Greetings folks, I'm a long time Type 1 diabetic (let me think... 23 years now? yikes) and have been on many various boards etc, they are always fun.

I've been on a variety of insulin treatments, used the Minimed Paradigm pump for a few years (just got so sick of it always being there), and am very recently back on shots, now of Humalog and Levemir.

My wife and I are new residents of WV, formerly of NY, and also the DC Metro area. In the process of getting a new suite of doctors (fun fun *gag*) and I'm already finding that my current endocrinologist needs to be switched out. Sending weekly reports of my sugar levels with NO response to 300+ sugars (like hey, adjust my dosages, heeellloooo) proves to me that I need a new doctor.

So, here I am, I'll be perusing the forums, looking to suck all the information I can out of this place, and I will try to inject humor, and my life experiences as I can.
Welcome to Diabetes Forum! So glad that you found us! I will keep my WV jokes at bay for now! No response to your weekly reports with readings of 300+? Time for a new doctor! Keep us posted on your search and visit often!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
WOW! Moving from NY to WV is like culture shock, eh? Lol! I did the reverse. In Aug 1970 I moved from VA to Kingston, NY. I have been a "Yank" for almost 40 years now.

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. I have been Type 1 for 64 years and i have very good health. I started using the Minimed 522 pump in 2007 and stick with it. I love it. My BG levels are much more stable now. I have not heard of many people giving up on pumping. I hope you have good control with your basal/bolus routine.

Richard

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time for a new doctor! Keep us posted on your search and visit often!
I was quite...peeved.. to say the least. My last doctor in NY was the best, nice guy, very smart, and paid attention to what was going on with me. Even though it was a drive to get to his office, it was worth it! Just trying to find a good doctor out here is proving to be difficult. As for the WV jokes, have at it, I'm totally out of place here =)

WOW! Moving from NY to WV is like culture shock, eh? Lol! I did the reverse. In Aug 1970 I moved from VA to Kingston, NY. I have been a "Yank" for almost 40 years now.
I'm busting over here, just noticed Kingston (sniff) we lived in Saugerties!! My wife and I miss NY tremendously, I think we'll be moving back there in the next few years. ...no, we will be moving back.

I have not heard of many people giving up on pumping. I hope you have good control with your basal/bolus routine.
For me it was more of a lifestyle choice. I am trying to be much more active, playing Tennis, bike rides, and starting my hiking early this year to get in better shape for deer season. I'm not a small guy, 6'2" / 220 and I 'should' weigh 180lbs... yeah right... and the pump just kept getting in the way.

As well, I have a history of scarring, the pump has left some very ugly spots on my thighs, I just got sick of it. I have a feeling I'll go back on the pump, I was using the 522 as well, perhaps if the infusion sets change... or another option becomes available I'll go back. If my A1Cs get worse I may need to go back, we shall see.

For now I'll just keep on keepin on, oh did they ever open up that new Olive Garden?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Yep, we love the Olive Garden in the King's Mall here in Kingston.

I recommend the Sure-T infusion sets if you ever start pumping with the Minimed again. I hated the Quick sets.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Nice to meet you scratch :) Always glad to meet someone new and hear new ways of managing your diabetes :) Moving is such a pain, and finding new docs you like is just as big of a pain! Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

Richard
Awwww...I wont hold that against ya Richard :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yep, we love the Olive Garden in the King's Mall here in Kingston.

I recommend the Sure-T infusion sets if you ever start pumping with the Minimed again. I hated the Quick sets.
What is the difference Richard? I use the quick sets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the difference Richard? I use the quick sets.
Ok just going to jump in here to complain about my current doc again... I was on that 522 for close to 3 years and hardly ever looked at the minimed website... 5mins on here and I learn about new infusion sets... tell my doc about the issues I'm having with infusion sets and nope, not one suggestion to look at the other options for sets on minimed... grrr

*erk* whoops, haven't been on long enough to post URL's but if you google "sure-t infusion set" the medtronics site is the first hit:

Their site gives a nice demo of the Sure-T (and info about other sets), it's kinda cool how it has that extra gripper/tape section to prevent the 'yownch' when the tube gets pulled. Not terribly sure about having the needle in for days, but I'd guess 29g is pretty thin and tolerable.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you get as much help as me, you will truly love this forum. A great bunch of folks, all in the same boat, and when we think we're sinking, they know how to plug the hole.

Pastor paul

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Pam and scratch, the Sure-T has a thin steel needle only 6mm or 8mm long (your choice). The tubing is 23 or 32 inches long (also your choice). I prefer inserting with my fingers, instead of the plunger with the Quick sets. I leave the needle in 3 days (sometimes 3.5 days). Leaving it in longer can cause scar tissue. I rotate sites to avoid scar tissue. Lower ab, upper legs. Those work best for me.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Pam and scratch, the Sure-T has a thin steel needle only 6mm or 8mm long (your choice). The tubing is 23 or 32 inches long (also your choice). I prefer inserting with my fingers, instead of the plunger with the Quick sets. I leave the needle in 3 days (sometimes 3.5 days). Leaving it in longer can cause scar tissue. I rotate sites to avoid scar tissue. Lower ab, upper legs. Those work best for me.
The needle stays in? Hmm not sure I would care for that. I do like just the catheter staying in with the quick sets. I havent had any issues with them, but of course I havent used anything else. I use my ab area..lower and sides, my sides and the back of my hips (that's my favorite place). I am not a fan of my thighs because I don't have a lot of fat on my thighs (the only place on my body that's really lean!) I prefer the longer 41 inch tubing. I can just wrap it around my waist if I need to or just jam it all into my pocket. It just makes it easier to pull my pump out of my pocket when I need to bolus. It also works better when I am wearing a dress and have no pockets to put it in. I can just clip it in my bra. Yeah, I know you guys don't have that issue! Also at night I don't like it clipped to me when I sleep so I just toss it in the bed next to me and I have plenty of room to turn and whatnot without it getting in the way. Only problem with that is a couple of times my cat tried to use my pump as a kitty toy :mad: Once my hubby accidentally grabbed it and yanked when he was looking for the remote in the bed for the TV...yeowtch! LOL

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well hello, Scratch . . . and welcome. My DSL has been out all night & all morning, and it may go out again at any minute, so I'll be quick about this: We're happy to have you join us and I hope it's the beginning of a nice long friendship!

BTW, our daughter graduated from UVW at Morgantown - loved the area! But she was raised in Colorado, so maybe the culture shock was less, y'think? :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well hello, Scratch . . . and welcome. My DSL has been out all night & all morning, and it may go out again at any minute, so I'll be quick about this: We're happy to have you join us and I hope it's the beginning of a nice long friendship!
I hope so too! There's a lot of info on the site, I have a lot to read up on!

BTW, our daughter graduated from UVW at Morgantown - loved the area! But she was raised in Colorado, so maybe the culture shock was less, y'think? :D
Maybe! I have yet to visit Colorado, it looks like nice country though. My only real experience in Morgantown is people going RAAR GO MOUNTAINEERS!!! :)

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome aboard Scratch!

This place is awesome!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts