The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi the Name is Bob Here. I am 42 and was diagnosed with T2 a wekk ago today. The first couple days were pretty rough on me. I still have shots of anxiety about it but Im hanging in there. I am on 500mg of Metformin in the morning and at dinner. My numbers are down closer to 100 most of the time but spike from time to time. It seems like if I go without eating for a long period of time it spikes. Well Im in the club I guess ;) I have been walking a lot and doing what they say. Im just a little scared I guess . I look forward to meeting people and discussing issues on here. Maybe it will make me feel a little better.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Well hello there Bob: :)

Sorry that you were dxd. but Welcome to the Club anyways. :D It sounds like have you received sufficient basic information from your Healthteam. Most of us try to keep our numbers in the Good zone much of the time. We all spike occasionally. Having high numbers for too long is what normally causes the bad complications. The length of time differs for each Person. Many Diabetics also suffer from Depression and Anxiety but not all. You are not alone.

Any questions, comments, jokes, discussions are Welcome.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hello, Bob. Welcome to our group. If you eat small amounts more often maybe you can keep your blood glucoses a little more even. I am on metformin, too, and I find if I let myself get hungry, my glucose starts to go up.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Bob, welcome to our community! When you go without eating for a longer than usual period your liver will produce carbs that raise your blood sugar level. Your body needs carbs and cannot function properly without them. As a diabetic it is important to have carbs but not so many that the blood sugar goes too high. You should do as Ruby suggested and eat more frequently to avoid the "liver dumps". Many diabetics eat several small meals during the day instead of three bigger meals. That would help your situation. You should count your carbs and reduce yur daily intake if you need to lose weight. I am currently trying to eat an average of 100g of carbs each day. I am losing weight that way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome to the club. :D

I was diagnosed T2 5 weeks ago last friday, to say it was a shock was an understatement.

I was in Denial and came on the net when i got home which helped enourmously, as it helped me understand the condition.

The best help is from other diabetics where you will get enthusiasm, support and help.

All the best,

Davey,

:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts