The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, live in Sunbury, Australia (NW Melbourne) and I'm 50yo and a few months, just diagnosed Type 2 within the last week. Been doing lots of reading and have appointments to see all the usual suspects (various allied health professionals) but have to wait for some of them. I'm a bit bewildered atm, have a family history this shouldn't be a big surprise to me (father, mother, one sister) but I'm kind of on my own with reading and so on for now. Think I need to just get my own monitor and begin keeping track of numbers and so on, I just don't want to wait 2 weeks for nutritionist and 6 weeks for diabetes nurse. Advice and help appreciated, thanks ..... I've a GOOD GP, no worries there, but I can't be calling him every day lol .... :eek::confused:

G

·
welcome Julie :) I'm from other side. lol. Yeah being newly diagnosed is overwhelming at first. There's plenty of things to learn. Firstly, you will find that you will fair better cutting back your carbs and learning about Glycemic Index. Others here will advocate cutting carbs and eating high fat/higher protein diet. Basically you need to find what works for you as we're all different in what we can tolerate. Some recipes and stuff on this forum is for ingredients that are in US and we don't have here. You will find that dietitians/nutritionists tend to tell you to eat carbs, carbs, carbs. Now personally I've found I do need carbs to function... but you may find you can get away with next to no carbs yourself. You won't know this unless you experiment a bit and use your glucometer to test. Also test your BGLs for other things such as pain, stress, tiredness, dehydration, etc.... all have an impact on BGLs. Get to know how your body functions. I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Pull up a chair and plan to sit a bit as you learn, Julie. Your meter will quickly become your best friend and the trick is to log, log, log. I am low carb/high fat and that's becoming how I eat all the time. I lost 50 lbs. and now am trying to not lose more as I'm at my goal, so I'm slowly adding carbs back in. Perhaps you don't need to lose weight, so your path will be somewhat different. Tell us what your blood sugar was when you were diagnosed and some general information and spend some time reading posts here as well as asking questions and by the time you see your doctor and educator, most likely you'll know more about you and also more about what works for you than they know...no joke!

May this be a peaceful journey for you in a few days and do remember the only 'dumb' question is the one not asked!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Wecome Julie! Hello from the US midwest.

Yes your meter will become your best friend! It is great you know that, first!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Welcome. Your doctor may or may not put you on meds depending on the results of your tests and some doctors put you right on meds regardless. Those who are on meds can usually eat more carbs than the rest of us.

In the meantime my advice it try to get your bg below 100 and keep it there. You can do that by limiting your carb intake. I eat about 20 net carbs per day, others can eat up to 50 or 60. For your carbs, try to stick to veggies that are low on the glycemic index. Some can eat fruit, some don't because it spikes them too much, and the same is true with other foods. I would test 2 hrs. after eating an item with carbs so you can see how it affects you. Everyone is different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts