The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed as a Type 2 in early June of 2011. I had my suspicions as my mom is a Type 2, but as long as I didn't get tested it wasn't real. I was in denial.
Once I was diagnosed I grieved for a bit and felt sorry for myself. Then I set out to learn how to control my blood sugar and try to get/stay as healthy as I can. The doctor started me out on Janumet and after a month he increased the dosage and added a statin. No A1C to start with, but after a month when I went back it was 10.
I've been lurking around various websites for a while now. This one seems to be pretty friendly and the posts have been helpful so I decided to de-lurk.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome! Everyone here is very supportive and knowledgeable.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We love it when our lurkers DE-lurk! Welcome aboard, Etherea! Make yourself at home here - ask any questions you want - jump into the conversations any time. We're a pretty gabby gang. ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
You will love it here! I too was diagnosed in June 2011 and after searching some sites out, decided on this one. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming.. Please do not be afraid to ask anything....

·
Registered
930 Posts
Welcome,

To learn the lingo here and see where most of the low carbers referenced their beliefs it is best to read "Blood Sugar 101" by Jenny Ruhl. REF: Blood Sugar 101

Again Welcome

ColaJim

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm so glad you found us, I think you will like it here. When I was dx'd 4+ years ago my HbA1c was over 10, too. It took lots of trial and error and lots of tweaking of my diet and exercise but I got it into a normal range. The big thing is to use your bg meter a lot, especially 2 hours after you eat to see the effect of food on your bg. By tweaking the carbs you can gradually lower this number. Many here use lower carb diets to manage their bgs and it works. It also works to lower cholesterol and Blood Pressure.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcomes!

I feel so at home here already. I haven't told a lot of people about my diabetes. Partly because I had to wrap my mind around it first and partly because I wasn't sure how people would react especially at work. The one person at work that I did tell said "We'll watch you and make sure you don't eat any sugar". I don't really want people to "watch" me, especially when they don't know what to watch for!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome! Yeah, I know the feeling about being watched because most of the world doesn't have a clue about what they are watching! My own daughter does not think I'm diabetic because when she told her doctor about it, he told her I just had "age induced carb sensitivity". Apparently he buys the ADA thing about 7 being the magic number. But, thanks to you guys and other sources like Dr. Bernstein, etc. I've pulled my A1C down to the mid 5 range and lost 50 lbs on the Atkins diet. So far, I seem stable on all fronts. So, just trudge along on your own path, humming to yourself!

Keep us posted as you trudge along,

·
Registered
7 Posts
New here, looking for support

I am new here to the site. I joined the forum site because I need support getting my diabetes in control. I have been diabetic since 1998 and my A1C has been good and bad. I just finished Grad school and I am having issues getting my life and diabetes back to where I feel in control. I am hoping that I can find support and new friends on here to share my frustrations and road blocks. So, thanks for having me...

Justin

·
Registered
930 Posts
Dura:

Not to be unkind but do you really live in:

??? Just Joking :D

Wow this is so good, everything ive read has been so me

·
Registered
7 Posts
So im justin. Im 34 years old and have been diabetic for 12 years now. I live in Annapolis MD and work as a foster care social worker and therapist. I have a crazy job and often times can't eat regular meals or stay on a routine. I also work as a disasters counselor with the Red Cross. So for the first 9 years I was able to stay in control. Once I went into grad school my world was turned upside down. I now am done with school and working full time.

I also suffer from depression and have problems staying compliant when im in a low. I see a therapist and am working on my needs with him.

What im looking for support, assistance, education, and just others to become friends with who know what im going through or are experiencing the same stuff. I hope this helps and thanks all for reading.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello and welcome Justin!
I am new here too. This is a very supportive group of people.
Stress is not good for what ails us. I hope you can gain some control over that part of your life.
Congratulations on seeing a therapist. Too many people are hesitant to do that and I firmly believe that we could all benefit from doing so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I am a therapist myself so I feel therapy is a true benefit. Because of my job I can't reduce my stress level. I do go to the gym and release my energy, I meditate, and I surround myself with positive people and positive energy. Most of the time I am able to stay on track. But sometimes I de-rail I have issues getting back on track. Any forums or groups you might be able to suggest.

Jj

Sent from my DROIDX using Diabetes

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I am a therapist myself so I feel therapy is a true benefit. Because of my job I can't reduce my stress level. I do go to the gym and release my energy, I meditate, and I surround myself with positive people and positive energy. Most of the time I am able to stay on track. But sometimes I de-rail I have issues getting back on track. Any forums or groups you might be able to suggest.

Jj

Sent from my DROIDX using Diabetes
It sounds as if you are doing the right things. This is the only forum I have liked enough to join and participate in. Someone else may be able to suggest other forums. I would be interested in hearing their ideas myself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts