The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...I'm obviously new here and basically dropped in for a little education and I guess, some hope. After feeling really awful for so long, I went to my GP who ran a gauntlet of tests. The first tests back showed a fasting BGL of 169. Ouch. Dr Badnews told me to get a BGL monitor and over the last two days, have registered these levels:

8pm 248
8am 237
2pm 205
8pm 223
12am 194
9am 183
3pm 230
7pm 183
10pm 149
12am 203

This isn't looking good, is it? If that isn't enough, my cholesterol reading was 9 mmol/l = 348.02784 mg/dl. At 48, female and with a Dx of Anylosing Spondylitis not so long ago, I think my past life must be catching up with me. I must have been pretty naughty :)

At the moment I'm not sure what to feel but the more I read here, the more I realize I have a battle ahead. The lethargy I've felt over the last 2 years has made working difficult but I'm still hanging in there. It has definitely increased over the last few months and it seems all I want to do is crawl into bed and sleep lately but I'm fighting these feelings every morning when I get up for work.

I am utterly determined to do everything I can to feel well again but right now, I have no clue what my treatment regime will be as the Dx has only been given and my initial appt with my GP is on Monday (2 days away).

I look forward to reading more and being able to share BGL's that are somewhat normal. How I get there I have no clue, but I will get there or die trying.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Coconut! :welcome:

Glad you found us ... sorry you had to!

Hopefully your GP will give you some meds and a good diet plan. In the meantime, there's a lot of info and support on these boards.

Your numbers look like mine, not long ago. I'm still sorta new to this, but I can tell you ... things do get better.

Love your subject header, by the way! Your screen name fits nicely, too. At the top of the screen, there's a search bar. Check out "Coconut!" :D (And, of course, anything else you want info on.)

Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Reactions: gracelyn

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Coconut - welcome to DF!

You can probably make some great progress getting those numbers down (yes, they're pretty high) into a more favorable range with some dietary modifications. Many of us have found the reducing or eliminating starchy carbs (like rice, potatoes, pasta, dried beans, etc.) and many fruits from our menus make a dramatic difference. Increase healthy fats like avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, butter, add some protein, and eat veggies like greens, squash, cucumber, tomatoes, eggplant, celery, mushrooms, radishes....you get the picture. Find low-carb breads if you can't envision life without.

Get to be best friends with your meter! It will tell you which foods work in your world and which don't. Test before you eat, then 2 hours after you start your meal. If your blood sugar rises more than about 50 points from your pre-meal reading, try reducing the quantity of whatever carb you ate next time. If you still spike too high, you may have to give that food up.

Non-diabetics have fasting blood sugar in the 70 - 90 range and rarely go above 140 one hour after a meal. By two hours they're back to their pre-meal blood sugar level. For the pancreatically-challenged it's great to try to get as close to normal as possible, but don't beat yourself up if you don't get there. Life is long and you have to adopt a treatment plan that you can maintain for the duration.

Anyway, I don't want to overload you so I'll sign off now. Let us know how you do.

Jen

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello everyone...I'm obviously new here and basically dropped in for a little education and I guess, some hope. After feeling really awful for so long, I went to my GP who ran a gauntlet of tests. The first tests back showed a fasting BGL of 169. Ouch. Dr Badnews told me to get a BGL monitor and over the last two days, have registered these levels:

8pm 248
8am 237
2pm 205
8pm 223
12am 194
9am 183
3pm 230
7pm 183
10pm 149
12am 203

This isn't looking good, is it? If that isn't enough, my cholesterol reading was 9 mmol/l = 348.02784 mg/dl. At 48, female and with a Dx of Anylosing Spondylitis not so long ago, I think my past life must be catching up with me. I must have been pretty naughty :)

At the moment I'm not sure what to feel but the more I read here, the more I realize I have a battle ahead. The lethargy I've felt over the last 2 years has made working difficult but I'm still hanging in there. It has definitely increased over the last few months and it seems all I want to do is crawl into bed and sleep lately but I'm fighting these feelings every morning when I get up for work.

I am utterly determined to do everything I can to feel well again but right now, I have no clue what my treatment regime will be as the Dx has only been given and my initial appt with my GP is on Monday (2 days away).

I look forward to reading more and being able to share BGL's that are somewhat normal. How I get there I have no clue, but I will get there or die trying.
Hello Coconut and:welcome: to the forum. Come on in and get comfortable :couch2:. I am glad that you found us. There is so much information on here, read what interests you and you can do a search on the forum page there is a white box to look for specific posts. Your readings are rather high, but I have seen worse. It is time for you to cut some carbs out of your diet. You will need to see how much your body can handle. We are here to help you, get your diagnosis and we will take it from there. Also, ask your doctor to set some ranges for you. Ask him what your pre-meal should be and post meal. Have your doctor tell you what your fasting reading should be. Ask your doctor if there are any diabetes self management classes that you can take. Ask your doctor to run an A1C blood test. Write down everything that you want to ask your doctor. Good luck at the doctor. I hope you have time to visit often and take care. :)

G

·
welcome Coconut :) I'm on the other side of the country. Make sure you get yourself referred to a diabetes clinic near you from your GP. Also make sure you register with National Diabetes Service Scheme (NDSS) which is a scheme for diabetics in Australia. You can register for this at your local NDSS pharmacy... look for the signs (Chemart is usually an agent). You will need that membership to assist you with discounts on test supplies. Also do you have private health insurance? If you do, you will probably find they allow you to buy a free glucometer every couple of years. I agree with others, you need to get testing and try and figure out what foods you can tolerate. I'm type 2 on insulin. I do eat carbs, although I stick to wholegrains (low GI) which helps keep BGLs steady. You may be able to tolerate some carbs, but whatever you do you need to reduce carb intake as too much carb will give you high BGLs. You mention you have another health condition... I have a couple of other conditions myself and the bummer about that is being unwell, in pain, etc. can also make your BGLs high. Keep yourself well hydrated with plenty of water... chilled water does help lower BGLs too I notice. If you're dehydrated, your BGLs can be high too. So many other factors aside from food and exercise can impact your BGLs. I'm sure you will find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awww thank you so much everyone for the lovely welcome messages. I dragged myself out of bed this morning and perked right up when I read them. I love the positivity that radiates through because I definitely need inspiration from people who just get on with it and are motivated to help themselves.

A positive thing about this is my husband has low BG so now we can both get on a diabetic diet plan and support each other through it. Now I need to buy some diabetic cookbooks and read up about what I should and shouldn't eat. For the love of all things fun, please let red wine be on the YES list.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to talk to me.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You don't really have to buy new cookbooks - just reduce the starches in recipes, and some of the fruits. Find sugar substitutes. Get to know lower-carb veggies that you haven't tried before. You can replace rice with cauliflower pulsed to small kernels in your food processor - it takes the flavor of any other ingredients really well. You can substitute veggies like butternut squash or turnips or rutabagas for potatoes - they roast up really well, or you can mash them with a little butter, a couple cloves of garlic and some salt and pepper. Spaghetti squash is a super substitute for pasta - any sauce you like can be served over it. Like chicken-noodle soup? Use Shiratake noodles in place of the wheat-based product. Take a look at the recipes section here on the Forum for some amazing receipes that will immediately cut your carb intake. Meal planning to reduce carbs is a great adventure - it will make you a very adventurous cook.

If you still want a few cookbooks, don't buy the "diabetes" volumes - try Dana Carpender's low-carb collections. It's a fun way to adapt familiar recipes and you won't be disappointed!

Jen

G

·
Coconut... Jen has given some great advice.... although we don't have the same vegies the USA does. I have never found a spaghetti squash or a rutabagas on our shelves. I'm not sure if you can find anything similar at a speciality fruit & vege shop perhaps? I haven't seen anything of the sort this side of the country though. But if you look up Glycemic Index you can look up your various vegies we do have and see what GI content is.... the lower the better for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your wonderful information Jen. So much to learn my head hurts BUT I'm up for it...I think.

And thank you too Onlymep. Not only have I never found those vegies on the shelf, I've actually never heard of them...lol. There is so much information on this site and on-line that I have no excuse to remain clueless about what I should be eating. I have an appointment with a Dietitian and a Diabetes Educator next week as arranged by my GP tonight.

Yes tonight I received my official DX of Type 2 and was immediately placed on Metformin starting with 1 tablet for 6 days and then increasing to two thereafter.

A small area of concern was my GP's response to how I've been feeling for a long time. I thought I was strong and not one to give in to sickness but in the last couple of months I have felt totally dreadful. I have been experiencing nausea, all over body pain, tiredness like I could sleep at the wheel or standing up, heart palpitations, blurry vision and annoying eye soreness, shaky, anxious like I want to jump out my skin and I've been short tempered. Also I've had lots of pins and needles in my feet and a uncontrollable urge to stretch my legs but when I do I get cramp. When I asked if these readings would account for my declining health he said he was surprised that at those levels, I would be experiencing these type of symptoms.

That totally floored me because I had been pinning my hopes on the fact that it was the Diabetes and what I thought were high readings making me feel so bad. It felt like he was down playing the seriousness of my condition and not linking it to the quite obvious decline in my health and well being. What I've walked away feeling is my DX is not as bad as I initially thought when I first started researching what Diabetes was. If it isn't my BGL's responsible then the thought of living with absolutely no energy just does my head in.

Anyway only time will tell if the medication helps and I get back to feeling vital again. When I'm in a flare with my Anylosing Spondylitis life can be difficult but give me that any day over this feeling of being weighted down with an anchor.

Enough whinging...feels better getting it out though.

G

·
I'm glad to hear you've got your diagnosis Coconut. It's possible you've been diabetic for some time undiagnosed. I think I was. I actually got diagnosed at the age of 25 with a urinary tract infection. The doc said I shouldn't be having infections and ordered blood tests to check for diabetes and my HbA1c came back with result of 8.2% at the time. I was placed on diet and exercise to begin with and no meds. When I was referred to an endocrinologist I was diagnosed with type 2 and also PCOS at the same time. Thinking back I reckon I could have had diabetes previously as I craved sweets when I was a teenager... and I ate a lot of sweets at one point. I was probably on sugar highs. lol. I was pretty healthy really and I've only been quite sick since 2007 with various ailments to content with... like a roller coaster really. But with your symptoms, it could be related to diabetes still. Don't despair as you'll get a medical team working with you to help you sort things out. Sometimes this can take some time (boy don't I know that)... but just keep trying your best. Don't be afraid to speak up to your docs if things aren't working so well with the meds, etc. You'll find lots of support here... you need to find what works for you though... test, test, test is the only way to find that out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awww Onlymep. You've had to deal with diabetes such a long time. I'm so lucky that it wasn't until 48 I get this (48 in number only but 21 in maturity level...lol). You guys who have been dealing with this for years are seriously hero's. I never gave diabetes a thought before but now, WOW, it's such a difficult and complex condition. I have nothing but admiration and respect for people who have been living with this for a long time.

My GP gave me a terrific little diabetes management record booklet and I'm religiously recording all of my levels and what I eat so the snapshot of my own diabetes presentation will form. What I'm gathering is that I feel my worst when my levels drop. I'm not sure what this means yet but the diabetes educator will no doubt explain it to me. I went from 14 to 6.5 in an hour and then crept back up slowly again. For two hours I felt terrible at the low reading so maybe she can explain why.

I took myself off for a reflexology massage on my feet and legs at lunch time today as I feel the kneading on my legs helps with my circulation. That was heaven.

Thanks for your support Onlymep...you've made me feel so much better. Take care.

G

·
oooh, a massage sounds good... that would help you for sure. Yeah the fluctuation in our BGLs can make us feel aweful... especially big fluctuations. Also if your body is used to functioning at a higher level, you will notice you will feel aweful for a bit when you're trying to stablise your BGLs. With a level of 6.5 that is still a bit high for some people, but for you it may be something your body isn't used to. Also you've dropped 7.5 within an hour which is a big drop. Being in the higher range of BGLs can make you feel really bad too. I know for me I don't feel so good when I hit 4.5 or less. I also don't feel so good if I go over 10. My endo wants me to stay above 5 to be on the safe side and he reckons I shouldn't go to bed lower than 7 to ward off hypos from happening. It's all such a science and every day is a new day. Just when you think you've got it all going right, suddenly things can get out of whack for whatever reason. With diabetes one thing you learn very quickly is not everything is within your control 100% of the time. So learning to not stress and just do your best is the key to keeping sane. I write down my BGLs too... a bit old hat for some.... but I like writing things down to show my endo anyhow. He normally asks me for my diabetic log book. lol.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thank you for your wonderful information Jen. So much to learn my head hurts BUT I'm up for it...I think.
I still remember that mind-numbing sense that I just couldn't take it all in - ugh. Finding so many generous and adventurous diabetics on sites like this was a complete liferaft for me. It was great to realize that I didn't have to reinvent the wheel!

Jen

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was great to realize that I didn't have to reinvent the wheel!
What a great way to put it Jen. Exactly. Learning from other people's trial and error is the smart way to go. By virtue of this site, I feel that when I have my first meeting with the diabetes educator, my questions will be so much more pertinent to my problem because a lot of my initial views have been debunked.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oooh, a massage sounds good...
Onlymep it was fantastic. To be honest I do think I have some issues with my feet and legs. Even before the DX, I've had this sneaky suspicion my veins may be blocked or something because when I've been massaged on my legs, there's a lot of pain. Big shame because my legs are my best asset really. It's the one part of my body I don't despise. When I stop being scared, I'll have to face up to it and have some tests.

I've been reading about your problems with Metformin and as I've just commenced this treatment, will be closely paying attention to my stomach. I'm so sorry you had to go through that when diabetes is enough of a hurdle. Just not fair. Last night I brought up my dinner and tonight I feel quite queasy too so am going to keep a close eye on the effects of this medication.

G

·
Onlymep it was fantastic. To be honest I do think I have some issues with my feet and legs. Even before the DX, I've had this sneaky suspicion my veins may be blocked or something because when I've been massaged on my legs, there's a lot of pain. Big shame because my legs are my best asset really. It's the one part of my body I don't despise. When I stop being scared, I'll have to face up to it and have some tests.

I've been reading about your problems with Metformin and as I've just commenced this treatment, will be closely paying attention to my stomach. I'm so sorry you had to go through that when diabetes is enough of a hurdle. Just not fair. Last night I brought up my dinner and tonight I feel quite queasy too so am going to keep a close eye on the effects of this medication.
oh yeah getting your legs checked out sounds like a good plan... we have to be so careful with looking out for things and getting checked regularly. I hope your legs are Ok and if it's anything at all that it's easily treated.
With metformin, give it a fair go to start with. You do get the initial side effects that should wear off. The problem with me is that the side effects didn't wear off and I just put up with it for years... tried all the doses and versions. Just don't do that... it's not worth it. :D I reckon I can power my own gas station at the moment... having meds cut back I've noticed I'm burping bad again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I reckon I can power my own gas station at the moment... having meds cut back I've noticed I'm burping bad again.
Well you just let it out my love. Nothing wrong with a good burp. In fact, my husband I and try to outdo each other. Of course in the privacy of our own home BUT one day in the midst of one of our burping competitions, my mum who lives next door yelled out, and I kid you not, 'they didn't give out thunder for today'. We laughed till we cried at that one.

Hoping it passes soon Mep. Be loud and proud. :blabla:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi and Welcome Coconut!
I think the long term of even moderately high numbers can really drag you down physically. The nature of this disease makes for complications over time. So the longer your numbers run high it stands to reason that the worse you feel progressively.
As the others have said you'll find tons of really good info here and suggestions that really work. It can be a daily battle for some of us but we do keep moving forward and that's the important thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi and Welcome Coconut!
I think the long term of even moderately high numbers can really drag you down physically. The nature of this disease makes for complications over time. So the longer your numbers run high it stands to reason that the worse you feel progressively.
As the others have said you'll find tons of really good info here and suggestions that really work. It can be a daily battle for some of us but we do keep moving forward and that's the important thing.
Thank you so much for the lovely response aimster. I thought that too. If my numbers have been hovering between 180 to 252 for a while then that is probably the cause of feeling so awful. It's just hard when some people say, including my doctor, 'oh I wouldn't have thought those readings would make you that THAT sick'. It makes me feel that I'm over reacting and making a mountain out of a mole hill. I just wish I knew definitively that my lack of energy and unceasing tiredness has been due to diabetes and my meter readings.

I'm just a tad confused by my symptoms as I seem to know when my BGL drops because I start to feel shaky, weak, light headed and a little agitated. That always corresponds with a drop on the meter BUT the drop is actually getting to a good level...like 118 (6.6), my lowest recorded thus far. So when I drop from around 234 or 252 to 118, you'd think I'd feel great. I know that 118 is a long, long way from hypo territory but I swear my symptoms align more with low BL yet at 118 I wonder why I would feel like this. Below 70 yes, but not 118. I've got so much to learn I know.

Had my eyes checked today and photographed. YAY no sign of diabetes damage. Vision has deteriorated but nothing too bad. That was a big win today.

Yes aimster, I really can tell that people in this forum have such strength and motivation to move forwards. It's wonderful to new club members like me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.