The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site, I am hoping to share information with others that are type II. I am still learning on how to handle this disease. I have had some great success lately, off all medications, and I want to maintain that. I am looking forward to learning more about what works and what to try. Thank you all in advance for sharing.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am new to this site, I am hoping to share information with others that are type II. I am still learning on how to handle this disease. I have had some great success lately, off all medications, and I want to maintain that. I am looking forward to learning more about what works and what to try. Thank you all in advance for sharing.
Hello and welcome :) We are always glad to hear about success stories. Tell us a bit more about yourself. Are you using low carb to help control your blood glucose? Thats the great thing about this forum, we all learn so much by sharing :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well good morning over there in Lees Summit! I'm about an hour south of Jeff City . . . really nice to meet you, Miclinks!

There's a wealth of experience, knowledge & wisdom on this forum . . . thank you for joining us and participating in our exchange of advice, understanding & support! Make yourself at home here!
:welcome:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello and welcome :) We are always glad to hear about success stories. Tell us a bit more about yourself. Are you using low carb to help control your blood glucose? Thats the great thing about this forum, we all learn so much by sharing :)
Yes, I am eating low carb, I learned a lot about that when I did the Protein Power Diet about 10 years ago, so I am used to eating low carb. I was diagnosed about a year ago and I really don't like the medications so I have found a way to control my blood glucose with nutritional supplements and eating at regular intervals. If I could lose a few pounds that would help also. I am 60 years old, retired.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yes, I am eating low carb, I learned a lot about that when I did the Protein Power Diet about 10 years ago, so I am used to eating low carb. I was diagnosed about a year ago and I really don't like the medications so I have found a way to control my blood glucose with nutritional supplements and eating at regular intervals. If I could lose a few pounds that would help also. I am 60 years old, retired.
Thats awesome :) I am so glad you have been able to control your blood sugar with diet changes. Losing a few pounds is always hard but easier when you know you arent alone with that!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well good morning over there in Lees Summit! I'm about an hour south of Jeff City . . . really nice to meet you, Miclinks!

There's a wealth of experience, knowledge & wisdom on this forum . . . thank you for joining us and participating in our exchange of advice, understanding & support! Make yourself at home here!
:welcome:
I see you are taking lovastatin, I assume for cholesterol. Do you take it at night? Has it had an effect on you glucose levels? I am supposed to take Lipitor but when I do my glucose is about 20 to 40 points higher in the morning than when I don't take it. I am wondering if you see the same with lovastatin.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I was started on the statin when I got my diabetes diagnosis, and at first it was Lipitor (started by a doc at a free clinic where I went because I was uninsured at that time). When my regular doc discovered it, he, knowing our dire financial straits, switched me to the generic lovastatin. I didn't notice any difference at all - I was on Lipitor for about three months. What it HAS done is yank my lipids levels in line - and I DO take it at night.

Whether or not it was having an effect on BG, is more than I can determine, because when I wasn't able to get those levels in line even with increasing dosage of metformin, I started eliminating carbs from my diet until I was seeing the BG numbers I wanted.

That's where I am now - taking lovastatin & metformin both, with 50g-60g of carbs per day, and trying to keep BG between 80 and 130.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was started on the statin when I got my diabetes diagnosis, and at first it was Lipitor (started by a doc at a free clinic where I went because I was uninsured at that time). When my regular doc discovered it, he, knowing our dire financial straits, switched me to the generic lovastatin. I didn't notice any difference at all - I was on Lipitor for about three months. What it HAS done is yank my lipids levels in line - and I DO take it at night.

Whether or not it was having an effect on BG, is more than I can determine, because when I wasn't able to get those levels in line even with increasing dosage of metformin, I started eliminating carbs from my diet until I was seeing the BG numbers I wanted.

That's where I am now - taking lovastatin & metformin both, with 50g-60g of carbs per day, and trying to keep BG between 80 and 130.
Thank you for the information, I didn't realize lovastatin was a generic form. I need to check this out further. I could save a lot of money by switching.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts