The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is steve. I've had this horrible disease for 20 years this year. I am now on a pump. I have been on the mini med pump for 6 years. I am losing control lows and hi's. I'm struggling to test my sugar even 2 times a day now. I need help.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi my name is steve. I've had this horrible disease for 20 years this year. I am now on a pump. I have been on the mini med pump for 6 years. I am losing control lows and hi's. I'm struggling to test my sugar even 2 times a day now. I need help.
You've come to the right place, Steve. Hang on & our more experienced members will be coming soon. (I make a fair welcoming committee, but I'm not on insulin yet, & don't know sic 'em about pumping.)

Do you have insulin resistance as well as insulin deficiency? Do you take any of the oral meds together with pumping?

Thank you for joining us - take care & visit often!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Struggle testing because you forget? Or struggle testing because you don't want to? If you forget I'd buy 5 million timers and set them at different intervals so when one goes off you know it's time to prick. If it's motivation, then maybe set a goal. Like if you test and keep it under such and such number then you get to buy/do/cook/see something...anywho welcome :) I hope you find the support you need!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Steve, welcome! I don't know many pumpers who have poor control after pumping that long. Do you not understand how to use your pump? The book Pumping Insulin by John Walsh gives a very thorough coverage of what you need to know. I hope you will turn things around and improve your control, before you have diabetes related complications. Good luck during the months ahead.

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been under great control then I lose it. I don't take oral meds but I do take u500. It's 5 times stronger than r insulin. I have lows all the time as well. It's life that's getting me down. My dad killed himself and my mom tried, but she is still alive and well. And this is the week that everything happened as well as I had to move to a new place because I had an eviction notice. So I am struggling with everything now. As far as my pump I know exactly how to use it. It's just stress and I am tired of this disease.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thanks for giving us an explanation Steve. I see that you have been through a lot. Under those circumstances, anybody would have a very difficult time concentrating on their diabetes. You obviously want to get back on track, or you would not be here now. I am curious about your using U500. A type 1 diabetic would not normally need large amounts of insulin. Are you type 2? Some type 2's on insulin can require large amounts. You may also be a type 1 with insulin resistance. So you are pumping with U500? I have not known anyone who did that.

No matter which type you are, it seems that you do have insulin resistance. I am a type 1 with insulin resistance, so I have to take a type 2 med along with my insulin. I hope you will discuss your situation with an endocrinologist. If he/she agrees that you have insulin resistance, then you should be given an oral med, as well as insulin. That might help you very much.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Richard157 said:
Thanks for giving us an explanation Steve. I see that you have been through a lot. Under those circumstances, anybody would have a very difficult time concentrating on their diabetes. You obviously want to get back on track, or you would not be here now. I am curious about your using U500. A type 1 diabetic would not normally need large amounts of insulin. Are you type 2? Some type 2's on insulin can require large amounts. You may also be a type 1 with insulin resistance. So you are pumping with U500? I have not known anyone who did that.

No matter which type you are, it seems that you do have insulin resistance. I am a type 1 with insulin resistance, so I have to take a type 2 med along with my insulin. I hope you will discuss your situation with an endocrinologist. If he/she agrees that you have insulin resistance, then you should be given an oral med, as well as insulin. That might help you very much.
No matter what, best of luck Steve. We will certainly be rooting for you.

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm dreadfully sorry for your loss, Steve, and thankful for your courage in explaining to us. Now I know you'll be able to regroup and regain control, because you are courageous. We are here to support you in that effort - keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was diagnosed a type 2 20 years ago, but my endo said that I have blown my pancreas out. So I am convert. I used to be part of a support group. I wish I could find another one. It's hard when no one around you has this crap disease.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I was diagnosed a type 2 20 years ago, but my endo said that I have blown my pancreas out. So I am convert. I used to be part of a support group. I wish I could find another one. It's hard when no one around you has this crap disease.
You're part of a support group again now, you just can't see us! We're the real deal though . . . ;)

Our mod Onaughmae has a story like yours - been type 2 for many years, but pancreas is long gone - prob'ly burnt out by sulfonylurea drugs. She started on a pump last year & loves it.

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Steve :) I'm sorry to hear you've been having a real rough time of late. My condolences for your loss. You've found a great support network here. I agree with you that diabetes is no fun and it's a lot harder to manage when you have other things interferring with it such as stress caused by illness and life events. I hope you're in regular contact with your medical team, especially at this tough time in your life. I'm type 2 on insulin also, although I'm injecting and not pumping. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts