The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone,
This is my first time on this site and I am anxious to get started and learn as much as I can, as well as give whatever I have to offer.

I was diagnosed about 3 years ago and am definitely still learning how to manage my day to day.

I have a dual diagnosis, I guess, with Type 2 and PCOS. I guess one begets the other or it's just a genetic bum deal.

Most of the women on my mothers side have suffered diabetes. It was always something that I was extremely concerned about and made strong efforts to avoid through diet and exercise.

About 5 years ago I was a competitive amateur kickboxer and a marathon runner. It felt like one day I woke up and I just couldn't do it anymore. I was weak, I was exhausted all the time, I gained 20lbs seemingly overnight, I couldn't stop eating, I just wanted to sleep. But I was young and not overweight, so it took 2 more years to get diagnosed. By that time my kidneys, and liver were in jeopardy, my cholesterol was 9, I was anemic and suffered from vitamin deficiency.

Metformin was a really good start to get alot of things under control. I am now in a really good place in terms of blood, kidneys, cholesterol etc. My biggest complaints occur on the days when I don't manage my diet as well as I should and am tired for 2 or three days. Otherwise I feel I am on track...

I am 30 now and have started back at the gym this past month. I finally have the were with all to start working out in a full time capacity again. I would love to talk to anyone else who manages training, blood sugars etc.

Take care and be well everyone.
:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi welcome to the community There are alot of great people and wonderful information that I help will be useful to you. It is a pleasure to meet you

steve from PA

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello cyclingal, welcome aboard! You have the right attitude and you are doing well. Congratulations! I know it is hard to stick to the routine so good control isn't always there 100% of the time. That's normal. I've been diabetic for 63 years and i have very good control but I have days occasionally when I don't feel like exercising or when I want to have a high carb meal at one of my favorite restaurants. That is OK as long as we don't do it too often.

So you exercise on your bike? Since you are young I guess you might cycle a few miles each time. You are working out at the gym, that is good. Keep up the good work.

Richard

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Richard! Thanks for the welcome. I really appreciate it. As well, thanks for the encouragement. 63 years - I can't fathom - you sound positive and well organised though, it sounds like you are really on top of it.

As for Cycling - yes, I do alot of it. Our average rides can be anywhere from 30K -100K/ride. It has been a bit of a challenge to determine how to eat and when, and I have still not yet mastered it.

I have started back to weight training in a serious capacity this past month, partially b/c it is something that I used to love and grew scared of after diagnosis (when I was afraid I would never be able to do the things I loved again) and partially 'cause I read about how beneficial it can be to help balance sugars. As much as I am learing that you can still do just about anything with diabetes, again, still trying to figure out how all this will translate to my diet.

It is so nice to have a resource like this. Thanks again for your feedback.

Take care and be well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts