The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am really Diana and originally I was born in Texas but now I live in Nova Scotia -- God's Country!!! I am morbidly obese and have type 2 diabetes and found this website while looking into lapband surgery and vertical sleeve surgery. Would welcome any feedback on either procedure!!! I was considering the first and discovered the second while surfing the web looking for info on the first. Anyone know of Dr.'s in NS who do the surgery? Is is covered by MSI? Frank??? Did MSI cover yours? I read that many had to pay almost $5,000 and I can't afford that!

G

·
welcome Diana :) I'm not able to help much with info you need for surgery... although I'm sure you'll find lots of support and info here. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome Diana from Nova Scotia. I am in the US so can't answer about Canada. You might want to PM ( private message) to Frank. I know every province is different. I know with our insurance in the US we have to pay the first $6000 of any procedure each calander year. So it would cost us that amount if it was an approved surgery. Have you tried other diets or exercise. I know lots of people on these forums have had great success with low carb diets.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Welcome Diana! I know nothing about the surgeries you're looking into so, but wanted to welcome you and say that I had 6 of the best travel weeks of my life in Nova Scotia! Celebrated my 50th there, spending up to a week at various cottages along the coasts. The people are some of the most open, trusting, gracious, terrific people on the planet. I've so many heart-warming stories and if I could afford it, I'd have a vacation house there to spend a few months/year.

When I was there, there was a huge controversy about getting another bone density machine in the province. A guild collected the money for it, but then the hospital didn't want to accept it because they said they hadn't funds for the technician. Then the guild raised money for a year's salary for a technician, then were told a bone density machine wasn't important and what about after the year? I never learned how it was resolved. We all have health care frustrations, they're just different. I hope you can get coverage for whatever your medical needs are.

Oh yes - welcome again :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I agree!!! We have a beautiful Province. The only one more beautiful one is Prince Edward Island. How do I send a PM to Frank? I am new to this business and had a hard time just introducing myself!!!

Many Americans are buying up our coast because it is so beautiful. We welcome you to share it with us.

Welcome Diana! I know nothing about the surgeries you're looking into so, but wanted to welcome you and say that I had 6 of the best travel weeks of my life in Nova Scotia! Celebrated my 50th there, spending up to a week at various cottages along the coasts. The people are some of the most open, trusting, gracious, terrific people on the planet. I've so many heart-warming stories and if I could afford it, I'd have a vacation house there to spend a few months/year.

When I was there, there was a huge controversy about getting another bone density machine in the province. A guild collected the money for it, but then the hospital didn't want to accept it because they said they hadn't funds for the technician. Then the guild raised money for a year's salary for a technician, then were told a bone density machine wasn't important and what about after the year? I never learned how it was resolved. We all have health care frustrations, they're just different. I hope you can get coverage for whatever your medical needs are.

Oh yes - welcome again :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi All,

I am really Diana and originally I was born in Texas but now I live in Nova Scotia -- God's Country!!! I am morbidly obese and have type 2 diabetes and found this website while looking into lapband surgery and vertical sleeve surgery. Would welcome any feedback on either procedure!!! I was considering the first and discovered the second while surfing the web looking for info on the first. Anyone know of Dr.'s in NS who do the surgery? Is is covered by MSI? Frank??? Did MSI cover yours? I read that many had to pay almost $5,000 and I can't afford that!
Hello Diana and :welcome: to the forum! Come on in and get comfortable. There is a wealth of information on here for T2 diabetics. If you can't find something, just do a search on the forum page in the white box. Good luck with your surgery! I hope that you have time to visit often and take care!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts