The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to become so overloaded with information regarding sugar, sugar substitutes, sugar additives, what's okay to use, what's not okay to use... HELP!
I have seen many here mention maltodextrin. From what I researched and have read, maltodextrin is derived from sugar? It is actually found in starches, and extracted from the starch? So, is it a carbohydrate or not? Does it affect blood sugar numbers?
I am feeling so overwhelmed tonight. I'm rather down on myself right now because my numbers have been jumping around for no known reason and I indulged in some bad carbs tonight because I was craving carbs. I can usually subdue that particular demon, but I just gave in to it tonight. I think my stress level is up right now as well. I just really feel like crying. I noticed my bg's are going up from eating nuts such as cashews, walnuts, pecans. These are supposed to be good for you right? Low carb? High fat?
I currently use Equal because my system does not deal with Splenda or any type of sugar alcohol. It makes me violently ill. I cannot use anything that contains Splenda or sugar alcohols. So, many of the sugar free syrups and stuff people here use to bake with or make delicious foods with I cannot use. It seems there is no safe alternative for me. I just don't know what to do.
I know this is a pity party but I just can't help it. I'm reading all these success stories and I feel like such a failure. I feel like I'm never going to get to good control ever. I so happy for all those that have or are getting such wonderful results, but I want to be there with them. I want to celebrate as well! I feel like I am becoming obsessive with testing, and with diabetes in general. I swear it is all I think about anymore, and I feel like that is all I talk about (not just here on the forum, but like every conversation I have with people). I don't want diabetes to control or take over my whole life.
What say you oh wise people of the forum? What ideas might you offer, or suggestions? I'm really very depressed tonight. :(:pout:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also need another question answered here please. I have read through posts that those trying to lose weight have of course decreased carb intake, even decreased protein intake, but increased fat intake. Could anyone please help me with what foods, or fat as it might be, you increase in order to lose weight? I also wonder if that will help stabilize my bg's a bit? I'm just starting to feel very lost, and it is making me very nervous.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Dang on your night of the blues ... hopefully things won't look so bleak tomorrow, or even later tonight!

Lessee, 'bout sweeteners. Have you tried Stevia in the raw? Pure stevia? What about trying liquid Splenda? That doesn't have any bulking agents like maltodextrin which yes can negatively affect blood sugar. Alternatively, you could do the healthiest thing of all and wean yourself off a sweet profile. I find I'm backing off the degree of sweet and that's saying a lot! Like those cream cheese muffins Gizmo posted. I made another batch tonight and used maybe 1/4 what it called for. Without any sweetener it would probably be delicious with some berries and unsweetened whipped cream. I have the later often as a dessert treat.

On the nuts - I stay away from cashews. They are loaded with carbs. My nuts of choice are almonds and macadamias, though portion control is really important. If that's an issue, making up baggies with X number of nuts in each can be helpful.

It's a dangerous game to measure ourselves against other people's stories (though tempting, I know) instead of against ourselves. The important thing is - are we moving in the right direction? You are! You've made some changes, you've made progress - focus on those things and give yourself a huge pat on the back cuz ... you deserve it dang it.

Talking about and living diabetes. Yep. I think this is normal esp when we're undergoing so many changes. When you have more consistent control you'll feel more relaxed - right now you're making a big effort and that's a lot of work!

Weight. I lost a lot at first and now am on a great big stall. But the loss came from cutting carbs, and eating pretty much whatever else I wanted. My appetite is normal now, so I don't worry too much about over-eating, and just assume the weight loss will kick back into gear.

The fats I eat more of are: avocado, butter, cheese, nuts, heavy cream, olive oil - what I need to increase is coconut oil. I don't have an answer to weight loss though - only my belief from seeing it happen for so many people, that if we stay the course keeping our carbs low and not overeating protein, that we'll settle into a weight that's right for us.

Hang in there - you're doing so much better than you give yourself credit for.

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I am beginning to become so overloaded with information regarding sugar, sugar substitutes, sugar additives, what's okay to use, what's not okay to use... HELP!
Don't be too overwhelmed, it's natural to get information overload - it happens to most of us at some point or another - the key is to relax, breathe, and keep on doing whats best for you.

Regarding sweeteners, the facts are simple: What's "okay" or not depends on whether or not something spikes you, or causes an insulin response you don't want.

For me, some of the sweeteners, especially those in granulated form using maltodextrin as a bulking agent, do give me a little spike. I have no issues with Stevia or with Truvia/Erythritol. Some people MAY have issues - testing is the only way to know for sure.

One issue I seem to have is artificial sweeteners seem to cause an insulin response in me, and if I'm having something with zero calories, having excess insulin isn't a good thing... it can cause cravings and promotes fat-storage. So I now only have diet drinks, etc., with my meals. That way any insulin response has some ingested glucose to respond to...

I have seen many here mention maltodextrin. From what I researched and have read, maltodextrin is derived from sugar? It is actually found in starches, and extracted from the starch? So, is it a carbohydrate or not? Does it affect blood sugar numbers?
Maltodextrin is derived from corn, and is mostly a filler/bulking agent. And it is known to spike BG in many diabetics. Whether it spikes you or not can only be determined by your meter.

Really sorry you're not feeling well - but I certainly understand the feelings. Take care and (((((Hugs))))) if that's ok... :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You're being way too hard on yourself, Renee . . . you've made some really big changes that result in really big progress. It's been all of a month since you started on insulin, right? Getting your basal & bolus right is a biggie, and as you go along with that, I think the rest will fall into place. I get my fats about the same way Moon does - just using full-fat butter, heavy cream, sour cream, avocado, cream cheese, mayonnaise . . . and not being stingy with it! ;)

All I can tell you about maltodextrin is to test. S/F drinks, for example - if it says they contain maltodextrin, then test & see if they spike you. The labels can still say "sugar-free", so you need to test. Many if not most s/f powdered drink mixes may contain maltodextrin and/or corn syrup solids, both of which can elevate blood sugar. So just test.

I can't advise on caving in to carbs either, since I don't have to be around it. My house is devoid of carbs which makes it a lot easier to avoid. Unless you can persuade your family to cut back, or at least hide their carby favorites, you just have to develop a thick skin. It's the pits!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think the reason a lot of us push an "Eat to your Meter" approach is that different things affect us differently. Many people spike with some sugar substitutes and sometimes the chemicals may alter the way your body reacts to a certain food. Stevia is the only natural sweetner. I have used small amounts of splenda, eythitol or xyitiol with no problems. In the US most malodextrine comes from corn starch. It may affect us differently. When looking for foods to eat I try to eat the simplest forms of the food. The closer to nature you can get the better. So if a food has a lots of things on the igredient list I usually avoid it. I have also found that it is not a single food but the combo of foods at a meal that affects bgs. That is where fat comes in. I find when I add fat to my meal I get lower bgs. My favorite source of fat is Chia Seeds, Flaxseeds, nuts and nut flours and Coconut Oil. By combining these things in a lot of my recipes I can keep my bg fairly stable through the day. As with everything else trial and error and YMMV is the word of the day. It took me several years to find what worked for my D body.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
One issue I seem to have is artificial sweeteners seem to cause an insulin response in me, and if I'm having something with zero calories, having excess insulin isn't a good thing... it can cause cravings and promotes fat-storage. So I now only have diet drinks, etc., with my meals. That way any insulin response has some ingested glucose to respond to...
This was a big aha for me too. When I first started low-carb I was unimaginative and didn't attempt to replicate any of my favorite sweets. Then I got brave, figured out how to use stevia, etc.

For me I have finally come to admit to myself that even if it's 0 carb, it causes me to have an insulin response. I was hungry all the time, unable to control how much I ate of my new sweets and stopped losing weight. Once I cut out all sweet tasting foods, the cravings and hunger went away (due to the high fat diet) and I am slowly losing again (think ounces a week).

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
After 4 years of low carbing I have found my taste for sweets has changed. So even when I bake I only add a minimal amount of stevia or erythitol. If a recipe calls for a cup I may put in 1/4 or less and that is enough sweetner for me.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your support and words of wisedom. I do use aspartame because it does not spike me and I cannot use the Splenda or anything with sugar alcohols because of adverse reactions to it (my digestive system REALLY doesn't like it), and Stevia I've used before, but really do not care for it. It has a bitter taste to me. I just read so many bad things regarding aspartame that it is kind of scary. And of course most recipes use the Splenda or something that has Splenda in it (such as Walden Farms, DaVinci, etc.). I feel left out because I just cannot use these products...not much of an alternative for me :(

As far as the craving, I think it was hormones talking. I did give in to it last night, and I tested bg's before bed and they were 118! I was a bit scared to test, but I'm glad I did because it showed me that I didn't harm myself like I thought I did. Unfortunately my AM number was still high, and I just cannot seem to get that right. I have always had difficulty with the AM number though. Always.
I know I am doing better than I was without the insulin, and I know for the most part my numbers are much better. I guess I just get tired of thinking about it all the time. Perhaps I'm just having a mid-life diabetic crisis right now :)
I Love All you here for being so encouraging. Today is a new day and I hope to do my best. All of the fats that you have told me you eat I do eat. Almonds are usually my nut of choice, along with walnuts or pecans, but they also seem to increase my bg's. I do eat chia seeds, coconut oil, avacados, olive oil, butter, sour cream, cream cheese, full fat cheese (actually I LOVE cheese so that is not a problem). I guess I'm just afraid of what the numbers will show, even though I see most of you have showed decrease.
I will not give up on my LC/HF diet, nor will I give up on the insulin or exercise, or anything else. I just was having a self-pity party for myself. I shed a tear or two last night, blew my nose, and that is that. Again, it is a beautiful sun-shiny day and I plan to work outside in the yard today, so I will suck up plenty of Vitamin D!
And yes Beefy, hugs are allowed and appreciated :) I'm a huggy kind of gal!
Thanks for everyone's input. Love you guys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I feel like I am becoming obsessive with testing, and with diabetes in general. I swear it is all I think about anymore, and I feel like that is all I talk about (not just here on the forum, but like every conversation I have with people). I don't want diabetes to control or take over my whole life.
:(:pout:
Hi naynay,

I am so new that I can't help with any of your questions but I do understand this. It is a lifestyle change that is for sure. You seem to be on the right track but I'm sure it just takes a little time to sort everything out. Run down to Giant Eagle and get a nice hunk of salmon to go with that salad.

Have a great day!:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the same problem with sugar alcohols. You're making the rest really complicated when it doesn't have to be. My simplest rule is to just look at the carb count of something before I eat it. If the carbs aren't low I don't eat it. If it spikes my bg it isn't low carb. Almonds for example have a lot less carbs than cashews.

For me it's easier to make a list of things I can eat than things I can't, then just buy things on that list. Here's a site which sorts food by carb content, lowest first.

Calorie Chart - Foods Sorted by carbohydrate content

My diet tends to be higher protein and higher fat when I eat low carb automatically. Not sure you have to worry about that. I didn't lose weight til the carbs came down considerably. Then 50-60 pounds fell off in a couple months.

My suggestion: make a list of low carb foods you like using the list on the site. Buy them. Eat them. Confirm them with your meter. The reaction of your meter will tell you how big your list can be. Everyone is different and this will make a list appropriate for you. You won't have to guess you'll know. Then don't worry about the rest. Low carb isn't a big secret someone has to sell you it's just a number and one often found on packaging at that.

You can of course do whatever you like. Just offering this route because it made my life a lot easier and more positive and I hope it does for you too.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The diabetic life is so weird. Everybody eats avocados and if I just look at one my BG goes sky high. I cant drink my coffee without 3 spoons of splenda in the morning. I know it is not good for me but doesnt seem to affect my sugar. I can eat 5 grapes with no problem but only 1 cherry and guess which one is my favorite. Maybe it is the forbidden fruit syndrome. lol I was eating peanut butter with a little apple with no problem and all of a sudden the pn butter sends me way up. I like for my life to be neatly packaged with a pretty bow on top. With diabetes, the box has a hole in, the paper is crinkled and the bow is unraveled and frayed. AAAHHH but the contents is the same. I am still here with a lot of scotch tape and hope to enjoy the journey.

Reactions: MsTCB and optimist

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gphx, You are absolutely right. That is what I need to do. I guess I just get a little bit sad when I think about all the things I enjoyed in the past that I just cannot do right now. I'd love to eat some ice cream, and I know they have low carb ice cream, but I just don't think that it will fit in my diet right now. I know it takes commitment and reserve to look forward and not look back, but sometimes it just gets you, ya know? I do plan on taking your advice however to find out all the low carb stuff that does work for me and just stick to that. I'm definitely one of those people who likes to change things up quite a bit (hence I have more clothes than I have closet space), and it is the same way with food. But, I'm not that great in the kitchen (husband does most of the cooking around here), and I would LOVE to enjoy some forbidden fruit, but I know I can't. Again, it is just self-pity and I have to curb that behavior. I guess it doesn't hurt to give in to it once in a while, and I did. So, over and done! I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow, so I will certainly make a list of foods and give it a go.
Bman, where do you live in Ohio? Are you near the Cleveland area? Giant Eagle is where I shop, but I typically don't make salads from the salad bar there. I would rather buy the stuff in produce and make it at home. I don't trust that people have not coughed or sneezed all over the food open in the salad bar. Yuck! :) I like to wash all my veggies and produce so I know it doesn't have bad stuff on it.
As for the rest of you, humhum...you are hilarious! Thanks for making me laugh! And of course I just adore and love to read everyone's posts and encouragements. You guys are all awesome! I know I'll get there. I am just not a very patient person, and I want instant gratification!
Unfortunately I did not get to work outside today as the inside needed my attention as well. It is supposed to be beautiful again tomorrow, so outside I go. I am now sitting in my favorite chair, in my clean house, with the last load of laundry going into the dryer shortly. I still managed to get outside here and there today, and it was just a gloriously beautiful day.
Okay, long enough post? I'm too gabby tonight.
Hugs to all!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
naynay, on the losing weight thing, I don't know anything about insulin, so don't know whether or not it can make it harder to lose weight, but I do know when I started eating low carb, I lost like crazy. Then I started doing a lot of cooking and baking with heavy cream, cheese and cream cheese. I didn't gain weight, but stopped losing. Shanny advised me to cut down on the higher calorie foods, and it worked, I started losing again.

You probably already know you can't cook or bake with aspartame (Equal) because it doesn't hold up under heat. But if desserts are a must-have, maybe you can find some no-bake, no-cook low carb dessert recipes. Off the top of my head, I know you can make ice cream and cream cheese frosting (When you have cream cheese frosting, who needs the cake?!). If I could only use Equal and had a hankering for pumpkin pie, I would bake without sweetener, cool it, then beat in the Equal. Who cares if you have to eat it with a spoon? I'm sure you could do the same with some other recipes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Remember you don't have to be perfect. Lately I've discovered eating something somewhat carbier than my usual fare such as pea soup or a bit of sweet potato can keep me from walking to the store and buying something terribad. A designated sloppy day a week, preferably on a weekend so I can get exercise afterward, helps me stay sane and in control. It can be a lot easier to eat almonds all week if we're looking forward to cashews on the weekend. And if the weekend cashews keep us from feeling deprived and eating candy and cake that seems like a pretty good trade.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the response of "who needs the cake when you have the cream cheese frosting"! But, I happen to like cake more than frosting! Yikes! I don't really miss that kind of stuff, and gphx, I don't eat cashews all that much. Just happened that hubby bought some so I indulged. I usually always keep a huge bag of raw almonds on hand. I love the walnuts too. I'm learning to just put a good handful in a bowl and eat like that. When they are gone, they are gone. I don't go and get more. And you are right as far as having a sloppy day. Kind of like Lent for Catholics...it is said that when you give something up for Lent, it is okay to eat that item on Sunday's. I don't know why, just what they say. Gizmo, I didn't know Equal or Aspartame didn't hold up when cooking with it? I've used it in baking before. Hmmm...I am going to have to look into that one. But, yes, maybe some no bake, no cook type of goodie would be nice. I have made the sugar free/fat free pudding with almond milk and coconut milk, and as far as it does not really completely set, it does get a little thick and I eat it with a spoon. Using coconut milk with chocolate flavor pudding tastes like a mounds bar...yum! And, if Iwanted it to taste like an Almond Joy, I could just add those almonds!
Also to answer the question about insulin and losing weight; insulin does make it more difficult to lose weight, but as long as I don't gain weight, I'll be okay with that as well. I just don't want to increase my waist size because that will be counterproductive. I hopefully will manage to lose, but I'm not going to get all hung up on it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
How many carbs do you eat each meal?
I make a really simple swissroll and I fill it with whipped cream and berries.
You need 5 egg, 2 ss sukrin or what you prefer and 2 topped ts Locust bean gum
I whip the whites with the sukrin, whip the yolks, and then mix them together before I add the Locust bean gum and whip it good.
Pour it into a baking pan covered with baking paper, use a spatula to drag it over the pan and put it in the oven for 8 minut at 180 degrees celcius. I use the spatula to losen the cake from the baking paper.
The largest source to carbohydrates is the berries. I usually take 200 gram strawberry which is 13 carbo. But this roll is easy 7 pieces, so there is not much carbo at all in each piece.
I simply refuse to let my diabetes stop me from eating good stuff. I just choose those with less carbohydrates:)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How many carbs do you eat each meal?
I make a really simple swissroll and I fill it with whipped cream and berries.
You need 5 egg, 2 ss sukrin or what you prefer and 2 topped ts Locust bean gum
I whip the whites with the sukrin, whip the yolks, and then mix them together before I add the Locust bean gum and whip it good.
Pour it into a baking pan covered with baking paper, use a spatula to drag it over the pan and put it in the oven for 8 minut at 180 degrees celcius. I use the spatula to losen the cake from the baking paper.
The largest source to carbohydrates is the berries. I usually take 200 gram strawberry which is 13 carbo. But this roll is easy 7 pieces, so there is not much carbo at all in each piece.
I simply refuse to let my diabetes stop me from eating good stuff. I just choose those with less carbohydrates:)
Optimist, you obviously like to cook! I tried the mug cake you posted and it is really good. Sometimes I come home from work and make one if I am craving something sweet. I use the aspartame in that, and it works okay. What is Locust bean gum? I've never heard of that. Also, is sukrin equivalent to saccharin? If not, what is sukrin as well. I would be willing to try the swiss roll. Sounds delicious. I have got to find a store around where I live to buy some of the stuff required for low carb cooking and/or baking such as Almond Flour and other things. The only place I know of right now is east of where I live, and I'm not really familiar with the east side. I'm a west sider, and in Cleveland, Ohio we have this whole east side/west side division. I have always lived on the west side, so I only know how to get to work (east side) and back home ;) It's a scary thing when you are in nomad land...and that is what the east side is for me :eek:
I totally agree with your comment though that I will not let the diabetes thing stop me from eating good. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts