The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so hungry!!! I know my thyroid meds are kicking in which raises the metabolism but at the same time changing my diet to less carbs/ sugar has me so hungry!

What can I snack on???

Cheeses ? Peanut butter? Veggies??

There has to be something else.

I have lost 18 pounds since mid January and have about 30 more to go but at this rate I need food. I'm eating between 1000-1300 calories a day - which BTW is hard to do with minimal cabrs, higher protein and fats. Never thought I would find eating hard to do. It just that carbs used to fill me up.

Help need snack ideas. Sick of cheese, peanut butter and if I hear someone say chicken one more time I am going to scream:ranger:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I use eggs a lot . . . especially deviled eggs. I also make up batches of hot wings to keep handy & it seems like the spiciness helps squelch the munchies as much as the meat.

Lately I've kept this salmon sandwich spread in the fridge & it makes a great little taco using a LaTiara taco shell for only 4g of carbs per shell. As noted in the recipe, my husband has used this on his South Beach diet, so it's legally low carb!

And here's one almost like it . . . http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/1807-smoked-salmon-spread.html#post7547

Stir up a little tuna salad too . . . that's high protein & low carb . . . you can use mayonnaise, cream cheese, etc., with abandon - the higher fat content will help you feel satiated & it doesn't budge your blood sugar.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tthanks, those are great ideas that all sound delicious.

·
Registered
165 Posts
for me it's peanuts or almonds. also I like greek yogurt - it's pretty low in carbs. good luck

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yep eggs, deviled eggs, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs...

Also bacon or pepperoni...lunch meat... we used to roll a piece of swiss and turkey together...

make up a big batch of meatballs and keep those on hand...

tuna or chicken in the can is good too...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Learning so much here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We just LOVE to dispel the notion that low-carbing equals deprivation & hunger . . . :D :D :D Quite the opposite! ;)
That's very true.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
1000-1300 calories does not seem like a lot to keep your metaboism stoked. I would suggest adding some fat calories like Coconut Oil, but that will raise your calorie count. I usually snack on almond butter, celery with peanut butter, cheese sticks, Scandanavian GG Brancrisp crackers with cream cheese, veggies and hummus, deviled eggs, sliced chicken breast or chicken salad with full fat mayo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1000-1300 calories does not seem like a lot to keep your metaboism stoked. I would suggest adding some fat calories like Coconut Oil, but that will raise your calorie count. I usually snack on almolnd butter, celery with peanut butter, cheese sticks, Scandanavian GG Brancrisp crackers with cream cheese, veggies and hummus, deviled eggs, sliced chicken breast or chicken salad with full fat mayo.
It does but being hypothyroid I already have a sluggish metabolism. I have to keep calories that low

·
Registered
24,394 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm hypothyroid too and honestly it doesn't matter how many calories or fat I consume, as long as I restrict my carbs, I lose weight. I'm currently eating 2200-2400 calories a day, am 8.5 months pregnant, and have lost 20lbs...but that doesn't include the baby and all that goes with that which is another 15-20lbs... so 35-40lbs in 9 months. When I first started Atkins, I lost 30lbs in 8 months, with no regard to calories or fat, just carbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts