The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My name is Marsha. I am from Ohio in the USA. I was diagnosed type 2 in 2004. Just started with a new Dr. the beginning of December. After some testing he determined I am type 1. I just learned carb counting a week and a half ago. I am going to start on a pump the end of January. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!!:)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Hi Marsha and welcome to our little home away from home (although most of us are still sitting at home when we come online here so that saying doesn't really work here so don't pay any attention to me... :der: )

We have quite a few pumpers here who will likely chime in a bit to also say hello. In the meantime, browse around, drool over the pic of Shanny's Eggnog Pie or just bop to some tunes until more people drop in to welcome you. :lalala:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi everyone! My name is Marsha. I am from Ohio in the USA. I was diagnosed type 2 in 2004. Just started with a new Dr. the beginning of December. After some testing he determined I am type 1. I just learned carb counting a week and a half ago. I am going to start on a pump the end of January. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!!:)

Welcome Marsha. I do hope you are seeking legal recourse against this old doctor of yours. His incorrect diagnosis of you definitely makes a case for negligence and putting you at risk for harm due to incorrect treatment.

Welcome to the forum anyway. This is a very good place to be. You'll find many friends here to support you and walk with you through this condition

~ Tony

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Marsha. I can't even imagine the struggle you must have had for seven years trying to control your diabetes, treating it as type 2. Granted, there are some elements of management which translate well for both types, but the differences are very basic. It's so good to know you're in line for a pump - this gives most people the best ever control. Be sure to ask any questions you have - the pumpers on our forum will surely have advice & suggestions for you.

Take care and visit often - we're so happy to have you with us.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'm with Shanny - you must've gone through a lot trying to manage your diabetes. It's shameful (but all-too-common) that even believing you were a T2, you weren't encouraged to count carbs. I'll never stop shaking my head over this issue.

Glad you're with a new doc, properly diagnosed, and here on the forum - sounds like a recipe for success :)

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Marsha from another Buckeye. I live west of Cleveland. We have several Type 1.5's here who were misdiagnosed. For those 7 years were you on insulin at least to control your bgs. I'm assuming this new doctor did a GAD antibody test to confirm you were Type 1. I think the problem is many medical doctors still think Type 1 presents in childhood. So if you are an adult you can't be a Type 1. I think there are a lot of us who have never been offered the proper testing to determine our type.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi Marsha from another Buckeye. I live west of Cleveland. We have several Type 1.5's here who were misdiagnosed. For those 7 years were you on insulin at least to control your bgs. I'm assuming this new doctor did a GAD antibody test to confirm you were Type 1. I think the problem is many medical doctors still think Type 1 presents in childhood. So if you are an adult you can't be a Type 1. I think there are a lot of us who have never been offered the proper testing to determine our type.
Welcome Marsha from a Fellow Buckeye; 60 miles south of you.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Well, this is sounding a bit redundant, but Hello Marsha from ANOTHER Buckeye! I live about 8 miles south of Cleveland, so on a good day I can see the lake from my area.

Welcome to our home for wayward diabetics! Just kidding! We are not wayward, but we are diabetics. This forum is a wonderful place to happen upon, and you will hear from quite a few very knowledgeable people here. I give this forum and these people credit for literally saving my life...so feel confident that they will stir you in the right direction to help you with being a Type 1. I am a Type 2, although my diabetes is very difficult to control since I am also still in transition to menopause, but these wonderful people here help me keep it all in perspective. Welcome welcome welcome.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome!! Oh and "GO BUCKEYES". I have only been on insulin for about 2 1/2 years. My new dr. an endo did the GAD, c-pepetide and something with the islet cells. I would have to go get my test results out and look at them again. Yes I have had a very hard time getting BS under control. Now that I am carb counting it has made a world of difference. I am on Lantus and Humalog. I am feeling so much better!!!

I will be starting on the Omnipod come Jan 25th.

I look forward to getting to know everyone!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts