The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some this Disease is easier to deal with for others it's not. Unfortunately I fall into the it's not category. Going to visit friends over the weekend, 4 days. Now for most people what they have around to eat seems healthy enough. Lots of fruits and veggie, no sweets etc. and while I love seeing and spending time with them they don't have a clue of the what, when and how I eat. They simply see it as "she's diabetic and shouldn't have sweets". With my Diabetes AND stomach problems I can't eat a lot of those things and basically have to pack my own groceries for 4 days.
What a pain in the rear end.
That's my whine for the day, not the end of the world but it really bugs me sometimes.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
You know, I'm amazed that I was so ignorant about diabetes - I was just like your friends just 4 months ago.

I have several friends who are diabetic but also thought: no desserts, okay. At the same time, I know I would've been receptive if they had tried to educate me because I'm interested in that sort of thing. Nobody did. But, then again, one of them is on dialysis now.

I've been away from home since my dx and won't be back until end June. Am not sure how I'll handle the issue of food, but know it won't be all rosy. One of my neighbors in CA though, who wants to lose weight and got terrified by my diabetes dx, decided to start eating like I am (mostly.) She has lost weight, educated herself on carbs, and is an enormous champion. I'm finding that also in some friends here. One brought me a big bowl of her famous chicken salad, but pointed out she had put almost no chutney in it because she knows I'm restricting carbs. How kewl is that?

My biggest concern is not that I won't have much to eat, but that I'll offend people by not eating their food. That motivates me to educate until they tell me to shut the f- up :)

Reactions: Madea and foxl

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
The social thing's gotta be the toughest part of D.

Whining? No. Realistic.

Often, however, the anticipation is far worse than the reality. Hope your weekend goes well!

Reactions: Madea and foxl

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I went to dinner at a good friend's house the other night and altho' she's an RN, the dinner she so proudly produced for me was carby to the max. They rarely eat meat, but she had made chicken for me, but all the veges. were from her garden and altho' delicious and her cornbread was divine! I ate as well as I could and used lots of butter and came home and dosed myself with Coconut oil, and did fine. So maybe take some CO with you? And enjoy the visit. I always have mozz. sticks and nuts in my purse. Maybe take some of those also?

The point is, have fun!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have fun no doubt. :)
I hate to seem so food finicky when I'm someone's guest. But that's just the way it has to be for me. I'm sure they understand and is really no big deal but it does make me feel so rude sometimes besides the inconvenience.

G

·
that's why diabetes is no fun! lol. I hear ya Amy as ppl I know are the same. They become the food police when they're around you. And when you have other things going on other than diabetes it does make things hard as BGLs not always predictable. I hope you enjoy your time and try not to worry too much about the food part. :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Until I became diabetic I didn't have a clue what diabetics eat, either. I have changed my diet but don't expect others to cater to me. If I'm traveling to relatives or friends for the weekend, I bring a cooler of my own food. I bring my own crackers, cheese, greek yogurt, cream cheese and some homemade treats. When I eat meals I bascially eat the meat and veggies and then supplement with my own food later.

Reactions: Madea

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Until my oldest son married a lady with multiple health conditions, one of which includes severe food allergies, I was not informed about what other people need to eat healthy. My DIL is allergic to wheat and she always ask to read labels etc. when they come to our home to eat. I consider it a privilege to have my family visit and I surely would not want DIL to have a trip to the hospital because she ate something at our place that she didn't know about.

I do relate to your being concerned about being away from home and not having your own familiar food to eat. Try to have a good time anyway.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Its taken my friends and family over a year now to not bother me about my food

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I myself used to be of the mindset...ok, I'm diabetic I shouldn't eat sweets. It's only in the last few months that I've learned it's much much more than that and am still learning what foods effect me and which don't as well as finding a schedule of when to eat that keeps me balanced. Not everyone is on my schedule so I have to supply some of my own meals and snacks to keep that balance. I do know if it varies too much I get into trouble. I've found that if I have breakfast and dinner I can snack just a little during the day and I'm ok. If I miss either of those the balance goes out the window and it's hard to get the lows up or the highs down for a day or 2.
The cooler is a great idea jwags don't know why I didn't think of it. I've been trying to put a list together of stuff to take and was limiting myself to non perishables and that was getting kind of dull.
Once again the amount of support you all supply is a huge mind settler.
I have traveled some in the past year I've been treating this but those trips were learning experiences and what I learned was that I Have to do this as far as the food goes. I just have to get over the feeling that I'm not being a gracious guest and that will come with time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.