The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always knew there was a chance I could end up with diabetes. It runs very strong in my family.
For the past year, I've been having symptoms. And most recently, they have been getting stronger.

My symptoms/problems
-dry mouth
- constantly thirsty!
- always having to pee
- terrible leg pain
- headaches
- constant craving for sugar sugar sugar!
- dizziness
- bruises are slow to heal
- low blood pressure
- (not sure if this counts) but cold hands & feet 24/7
- sometimes blurred vision especially in the morning(example 10 am) and sometimes in the late evening (like example 8pm)
-itchy skin!
- mood swings
- irritability
- weight gain (like 20 lbs in the past 3 months)

and so on.... those are the ones that stick out to me at the moment.

Now I was tested when i was 16 (now 19) after I had a seizure, that is still unexplained. They say it was a Simple Partial Seizure.
Anyways, I am being tested again this Wednesday, and I'm nervous.
I went to my doctor about this TERRIBLE leg pain that I have been having since summer 2010. And she was doing some physical tests, and I actually had pain at that time too which in my case helped me pin point the pain. Anyways, she wants me to do this blood test where i have to Fast. And shes testing me for diabetes and some other things like thyroid and etc...

Well.... I'm slightly getting more nervous as the time goes on. I have been doing some research and reading up on this possible disease I may have.

I try to eat healthy, and do a pretty decent job. And I'm always active, I ride horses and try to work out at a gym with my mom & boyfriend about 3 days a week and also take a weekly yoga class.

Any advice?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Your doctor seems to have things well in hand, DG . . . keep us posted on your test results & what recommendations your doc has, if any.

Welcome to our support forum - thank you for joining us! :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I always knew there was a chance I could end up with diabetes. It runs very strong in my family.
For the past year, I've been having symptoms. And most recently, they have been getting stronger.

My symptoms/problems
-dry mouth
- constantly thirsty!
- always having to pee
- terrible leg pain
- headaches
- constant craving for sugar sugar sugar!
- dizziness
- bruises are slow to heal
- low blood pressure
- (not sure if this counts) but cold hands & feet 24/7
- sometimes blurred vision especially in the morning(example 10 am) and sometimes in the late evening (like example 8pm)
-itchy skin!
- mood swings
- irritability
- weight gain (like 20 lbs in the past 3 months)

and so on.... those are the ones that stick out to me at the moment.

Now I was tested when i was 16 (now 19) after I had a seizure, that is still unexplained. They say it was a Simple Partial Seizure.
Anyways, I am being tested again this Wednesday, and I'm nervous.
I went to my doctor about this TERRIBLE leg pain that I have been having since summer 2010. And she was doing some physical tests, and I actually had pain at that time too which in my case helped me pin point the pain. Anyways, she wants me to do this blood test where i have to Fast. And shes testing me for diabetes and some other things like thyroid and etc...

Well.... I'm slightly getting more nervous as the time goes on. I have been doing some research and reading up on this possible disease I may have.

I try to eat healthy, and do a pretty decent job. And I'm always active, I ride horses and try to work out at a gym with my mom & boyfriend about 3 days a week and also take a weekly yoga class.

Any advice?
Well, first of all welcome to the forum! We can be the poster child for diabetes and still get stuck with problems. What does your diet consist of?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, first of all welcome to the forum! We can be the poster child for diabetes and still get stuck with problems. What does your diet consist of?
Breakfast usually is mixed berry yogurt with nuts and or bran buds.
(so yummy!)
I drink TONS of water, like I swear Liters a day.
I do drink lots of juice when given the chance, it's a nice thirst quencher for me.
I do not drink much pop, I do occasionally have a coke but i don't really enjoy it that much. I never drink energy drinks, they're gross.
My dad likes to make chicken or steak, peas/corn and potatoes usually for dinner. Sometimes homemade pizza.
Lunch usually consist of a bagel, soup or something along those lines.
I do tend to snack more than have meals, I've been like that since I was a baby. And I like to snack on veggies sometimes, or granola bars, and etc..

I dont eat many chips, candy etc... Never really been a HUGE fan of that.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Breakfast usually is mixed berry yogurt with nuts and or bran buds.
(so yummy!)
I drink TONS of water, like I swear Liters a day.
I do drink lots of juice when given the chance, it's a nice thirst quencher for me.
I do not drink much pop, I do occasionally have a coke but i don't really enjoy it that much. I never drink energy drinks, they're gross.
My dad likes to make chicken or steak, peas/corn and potatoes usually for dinner. Sometimes homemade pizza.
Lunch usually consist of a bagel, soup or something along those lines.
I do tend to snack more than have meals, I've been like that since I was a baby. And I like to snack on veggies sometimes, or granola bars, and etc..

I dont eat many chips, candy etc... Never really been a HUGE fan of that.
Look at the carbs in your fruit juices, they are high. You also want to watch potatoes and corn and watch your bagels. You need to test before eating and then test 2 hours after eating. Your 2 hour test should be down to where you started. If you have eaten potatoes, corn or bagels and your 2 hour test is high, then you need to cut some of these things out of your diet. And cut out all regular pop. Look at the nutrition label on the back of those granola bars LOOK AT EVERY NUTRITION LABEL.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome, and Try Not to Worry!

I know this is not as simple as it may sound, but worry is not the answer. Someone, much wiser than I could ever hope to be, once said that "worry is the rust of the soul. It paralyzes us, and keeps us from moving forward in life!"

Of course, I am the world's biggest "worry wart", and here I am suggesting you try not to worry. :eek:

The truth is, you are doing everything you can do to get answers about your physical problems and symptoms. I know that diabetes is a scary word, but if you have it, you have it, and all you can do is get the best treatment possible, and learn, like all of us here, to live with it in a way that gives you a full, quality life. All the worry in the world won't change that.

And that is what you will find here on the forum. This is a great place for emotional support; fantastic resources for understanding what is going on within your body; and ways to not only live with diabetes, but suggestions on how to adapt and adjust to this disease.

You have landed in the right place, and I wish you only the best as you work with your doctor to peal back the mystery of what is causing you problems, and get the answers so you can move ahead with your life!

So, welcome, and best wishes for a long, happy life! :)

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello there . . . !!!
Dont worry buddy , everything will go ok . Let us hear good on your reports from your doctor , keep us updated .

G

·
welcome DG :) I'm going to add to the other comments already made and say that worry or stress is also bad for diabetes if you have it (well it's bad even if you don't have it actually). I know it's hard when you don't know what's going on.... I'm actually experiencing that myself at the moment with an undiagnosed stomach problem. It seems it's taking forever for me to get a diagnosis (it's been years... well months since they took it seriously) and at times it's frustrating.... but seriously what can I do? I just have to put my trust in docs to find an answer for me. At least they are now starting to narrow things down for me. If the test results show you have diabetes... please see the positive and know that it's totally manageable and you can still enjoy life. Yeah it's controlling too as you have to monitor yourself, etc... I won't ignore that fact... but basically you try your best always to have the upper hand and do the best you know how... so don't let it control you and get you down as such. This forum is a great support for everyone. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi thank you everyone. I will defiantly start cutting down more on potatoes and etc.... thanks so much everyone. I really need this kinda support!

I will get back to you all very soon with the results & etc...
:)
You all are so awesome!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
We are ready to answer questions if you have an issue. There is usually someone on line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts