The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me what to do, when one is diagnosed with impaired glucose tolerance? Is it inevitable that they will get diabetes? Is it a stage of prediabetes? What is the best choice in order to delay actual diabetes? Is it necessary to eat low-carb or to take any form of medication?

Thank you for helping out :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think it depends on the results of the Glucose Tolerance Test. Did the glucose levels rise and stay high or did it rise and drop like a rock. The gtt can diagnose hyper and hypo glycemia. And how impaired was the gtt? It IS one of the tests used to determine diabetes or hypoglycemia. I think lower carb diets are always okay (not too low carb, though) as is healthy eating. Exercise, too, I think can help with controlling abnormal blood sugars. What did the doctor say? Did he recommend medication?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it depends on the results of the Glucose Tolerance Test. Did the glucose levels rise and stay high or did it rise and drop like a rock. The gtt can diagnose hyper and hypo glycemia. And how impaired was the gtt? It IS one of the tests used to determine diabetes or hypoglycemia. I think lower carb diets are always okay (not too low carb, though) as is healthy eating. Exercise, too, I think can help with controlling abnormal blood sugars. What did the doctor say? Did he recommend medication?
The person I'm talking about had her blood work done. Sometimes her BG are in the 300 range and sometimes they are normal. Her A1c is still below 6%.

The doctor said medication wouldn't be of any help, since it is very instable. Some days she has great numbers, other days her BG are way out of range.
She was also told that a pregnancy would mean she would get gestational diabetes right away, resulting in diabetes after delivery.

The chance she will get diabetes is pretty much certain or not? She eats healthy and she has no overweight.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Teri, I knew I could count on you x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts