The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please talk to me about impatience/anger/rage in type 2 diabetes. Is it very common? I think my boyfriend might be experiencing this. He gets very demanding and argumentative and a bit haughty and relentless at times. I'm not sure if it is linked to diabetes or not; my sister's husband is also diabetic and she is the one who told me about diabetic rage. Says her husband sometimes gets unreasonable, relentlessly argumentative and even mean..and then he denies it (forgets?).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean specifically when his blood sugar is very high?

Otherwise, no, this is not a healthy trait for a longterm relationship. And maybe not even if it is ONLY when he is high. Run away.
Let me clarify...he doesn't go into a rage...and I don't know if it related to fluctuations in his blood sugar. I just wondered if his bouts of getting upset over what I perceive to be "little things" and seeming unreasonable are related to the rage I've heard about. He's actually very sweet and wonderful to me. I think though that he doesn't REALIZE he's acting a bit unreasonably...he just reminds me somewhat of my brother-in-law in that things seem to set him off arguing, and my sister had told me that with my B-I-L it is more than likely a symptom of the entire syndrome of diabetes.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
But I've heard that people going low are sometimes stubborn, irritable & angry - and then don't remember a thing . . . could he be going low occasionally?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Yes. Diabetic highs, lows and sharp fluctuations can cause mood issues.

This is not an excuse for bad behavior, especially if one knows s/he is diabetic. Good control can keep glucose-related mood changes to a minimum, and simple awareness can help a person control diabetes-related moods and behaviors.

Mood and behavior issues can also have causes completely unrelated to diabetes. No matter the cause, if mood/behavior issues interfere with a person's life -- and/or affect others negatively -- the person must seek reasons, and find help so s/he can deal with the reasons.

On this Forum, we help each other improve glucose control, and we support each other in our challenges with diabetic lifestyle. But, in the end, each of us must make the decision to improve, and each of us must do our own work to make the improvements happen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Um, bad news... it's probably not related to diabetes, and not everyone with diabetes goes into rages. Best talk to the doc and get that sorted out.
Aw, I know not everyone with diabetes goes into rages..I certainly don't mean to paint with a broad brush..just grasping at straws and trying to understand. I will try to go to the doctor with him next time he has an appointment. I just want to learn more and know everything I can. Thanks :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you encourage him to test his BS when this is going on?
I will, in the future hitcheca, thank you! Currently he's low on test strips and says it is an insurance issue. I am encouraging him to get this straightened out so he can use them DAILY.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can get very inexpensive test strips and a Relion Prime meter at Walmart for less than $50.
I will gently suggest he might seek another source (he normally goes to Walgreens for prescribed meds/strips/other)....it is important, so even out of pocket, he should do it, if affordable. He makes a very good living, so he should just do it.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
I will gently suggest he might seek another source (he normally goes to Walgreens for prescribed meds/strips/other)....it is important, so even out of pocket, he should do it, if affordable. He makes a very good living, so he should just do it.
The prime meter can be gad for around 20 bucks and a vial of 50 strips will run you about 10. A lot of times this is cheaper than copays with insurance plans.

As for the anger issues. I will only give my experience and the answer would be yes. I had horrible mood swings and anger issues when first getting control. Probably due to coming down from so high and being high for a long time. One night when making my dinner I burnt it. Next thing I knew the cupboards in the kitchen were covered in it. I had literally thrown the food around the kitchen in a fit of anger.

So would NOT suggest asking him to check his levels during these times. It may cause more anger and frustration and make a bad situation worse. Just help him to get his levels in general down to normal ranges ( under 140 at all times) and these issues may clear up.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Maybe this has nothing to do with my diabetes, but I have noticed how irritable and impatient I have become and I don't like it. I try with awareness, so I can control it, but it still gets the better of me. Its not nice and I have to try harder.:eek:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Years ago I began to realize I was getting so angry all the time - and at the dumbest pettiest things! So I finally mentioned it to our doc. It didn't take him a split second to prescribe an antidepressant. I was doubtful about it, but because he's been so dead-on about so many things over the years, I went ahead and took the prescription. And when it worked, I had to accept that my depression manifests as anger.

If it persists, I'd suggest mention it to your doc. :hug:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Shanny has some great advice there. Often depression, especially in a male, is expressed by anger and irritation.

There is also another type of mental condition called Narcissism. Specific traits include blowing up over what we perceive as petty issues. It's called Narcissist Rage. It seems to come out of nowhere. Other narcissistic traits are sulking, giving you the silent treatment, idealising their relationships in the beginning then they start to de-value you. There are different types of Narcissists. The classic type with their grandiosity and the depressive types who are less noticeable.

or maybe it's just his BG.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Please talk to me about impatience/anger/rage in type 2 diabetes. Is it very common? I think my boyfriend might be experiencing this. He gets very demanding and argumentative and a bit haughty and relentless at times. I'm not sure if it is linked to diabetes or not; my sister's husband is also diabetic and she is the one who told me about diabetic rage. Says her husband sometimes gets unreasonable, relentlessly argumentative and even mean..and then he denies it (forgets?).
you know, this is something that happens to me. BUT I have PRESENCE OF MIND (even during the highs and lows) to control it. I recognize I am having a fit because of my sharp changes in glucose levels, I CHOOSE to control it and not let others suffer because of my problems.

It comes down to CHOICE. Is he going to CHOOSE to be a good partner to you, MAN UP, and do what's right by you and for himself? Or is he going to CHOOSE to make you suffer and pay for his condition?

In the end, when he makes his choice...you have to make yours.

Do you put up with it, stay, and put yourself through all that?

OR

Do you move on with your life and find someone who is more responsible with not only their relationships, but their health?

·
Registered
6 Posts
hmm...this is an interesting topic. I have noticed that I often get extremely agitated at work over the stupidest things (phone rings too much, stupid questions, etc. - stuff that never seemed to bother me before) But in the last couple of years - basically sinced i've been diagnosed, it seems to be a common issue for me. Not sure if its the diabeto in me or the stress of the job is getting to me :(

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
A symptom of low glucose for me is irritability, although I would not describe it as rage and it is well within my control.

Chronic illness comes with all manner of emotional difficulties. Some respond to medical treatment and others are the result of unfortunate personality structures which qualities become exacerbated by the disease.

Additional problems have a way of arising among loved ones who find themselves distraught with the condition. Often, good intentions misfire and create or add to conflict.

Sounds like a difficult time for you and one of many choices. I pray the guidance you receive makes those choices good ones!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can tell when I need to eat because I get really short-tempered and irritable. It's like magic... Even when I don't notice it, my husband will make me a snack. I may even say "I'm not hungry"... but then the food evaporates from my plate (I eat very quickly), and fifteen minutes I'm my old usual sunny self.

It's so obvious it's become a standing joke in our family.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I can only describe one time that I completely lost it. My glucose levels were extremely low and my brother kept getting in my way thinking it was funny to get between my candy bar and orange juice I was going to use to bring it up. He also played "keep away" with my other brother.

Eventually I just lost it. I beat both of them down and chained them to a tree and left them there while I ate the candy bar and drank the orange juice. I went inside and ate more because obviously the effort at such a low dropped me further. I just wanted to make sure.

Oh and I left them chained there until midnight.

So I guess if it is an absolute emergency and you get in his way intentionally and prevent him from coming up. Well I guess in life threatening situations like that you can become capable of anything to preserve your life.

But there are SOOOOO many signs before it gets that bad. He would have to be dense not to recognize them.

Of course, people would have to be daft to get in the way of a diabetic and their treatment whether it be hypoglycemic correction or insulin injection or pills. That is literally their life. We all take it seriously.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts