The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was down to my last three bricks of cream cheese, but local grocery came through for me again. :cool: Last year I got two or three cases of cream cheese for 69¢ a brick during the holidays - it wasn't quite that good this time and I hadn't expected it to be - but I got it for 88¢ a brick, so I now have two cases stashed in the fridge again. We'd be in a world o' hurt if we had to pay regular price for this . . . sure wish we had a Costco nearby, but . . . c'est la vie.

·
Registered
568 Posts
That's a great price for cream cheese! I am curious how you use it, since evidently you use a lot! I think you use it in some of our LC baking recipes?

I have found that a little bit of cream cheese inside an omelet is really yummy.

I'll have to keep an eye out for cream cheese on sale.
Gretchen

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use it in cooking/baking, but more than anything I use it for spreads - http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/5753-smoked-oyster-dip.html?highlight=smoked - http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/2782-spicy-salmon-spread.html?highlight=smoked - http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/1807-smoked-salmon-spread.html?highlight=smoked - http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/12392-rangoon-dip.html#post127933. These are all good with Optimist crackers, cheese crisps and/or for stuffing celery. If I don't have any spread made up, I'm happy to use just plain cream cheese to stuff celery, and I'm not talking dainty celery stix here - we take it a whole rib at a time. ;)

·
Registered
800 Posts
Sounds like a bargain! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Shanny - Major Score!

Gretchen - I make cream cheese muffins all the time. There are so many taste variations, but the basic vanilla is my favorite. I use one egg vs two - and they keep forever.

Cream cheese is one of the best ways to boost my fat ratio - and like Shanny, World of Hurt doesn't begin to describe a life w/out it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hmmmm...I keep walking past the cream cheese.... I used to love cheesecake though..maybe it will go on sale here and I'll have to stop walking by ....:cool:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shanny, how long does cream cheese last in the fridge? I thought it would get moldy or something after that long.
I can't say exactly when I bought it, but I have been watching closely in case it went bad. Now if any of you have queasy stomachs, stop reading here, but the last two packages of old stock had officially expired in April. I used them this week and found no discernible difference from what I bought this week on sale. So there you are.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I have a weird love/hate relationship with cream cheese. Most of the time I'm fine with it and then I'll go through phases where just the thought of it makes me nauseous. Because of that I buy the big bag of 1 oz packets at Costco. It is a little more trouble when I need several ounces in a recipe, but I have no waste as none goes bad, if I go into a "hate" phase when a brick is open. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really gotta get inside a Costco someday! I had no idea cream cheese could be found in 1-ounce packages! ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Pffft - who needs 1-oz pkgs when at the same place one can get 3-lb logs?

Reactions: Shanny and vrdeboer

·
Registered
224 Posts
I can't say exactly when I bought it, but I have been watching closely in case it went bad. Now if any of you have queasy stomachs, stop reading here, but the last two packages of old stock had officially expired in April. I used them this week and found no discernible difference from what I bought this week on sale. So there you are.
I have had a lot of things go green on me in the refrigerator, but cream cheese isn't one of them. Even when it has been opened - it is still OK!!!

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 15 of 15 Posts