The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am taking Lantus with the injector pen. I take 16units once a day. My morning sugar fasting reading is above 145 and has been since I started. Approx. three months ago. According to the Lantis site formula I should be taking 22 units. Can I increase the dosage on my own or should I talk to my doctor first?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used to take Lantus but it didn't really do the job for me, so I switched to Levemir. I'm type 1, though. I'd advise you to ask your doctor instead of changing them on your own; as they say, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am also fairly new to Lantus, so others may have better information. If possible I'd talk with the doc and get his OK. A conservative approach would be to add 2 units for 2-3 days and see if that helps. If not then add 2 more units until you come to what you and the doc agree on. I always keep the amounts lower until time shows there would not be an adverse low.
Of course if you do use a rapid acting insulin in addition to Lantus then changes can be a bit different. Your doc is the authority but I'd bet adding would be acceptable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Adding is acceptable, however, it is the amount and result that define things, which are better discussed and agreed on with the doctor.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
How are your before lunch, dinner numbers?

if there hi then go up on the lantus if there good going up on the lantus will give you hypos before lunch/dinner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts