Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi friends ,

I met one of the naturopathy consultant ( and Yoga Teacher ) .

as per his suggestions :
Eat Sasame Seeds powder everyday ( good for nerves system)
make powder add to your food - just before you eat
eat one Indian gooseberry ( indian name : Amla , for vitamin C)
Eat brown rice ( for vitamin B)
stop taking salt and Oil
50 % raw food
daily 5 liter of water
Yoga ( Excercise + pranayama ( breathing excercise )

He is treating many diabetic patients in india .

·
Registered
165 Posts
whatever works for you. I'm not a fan of rice white or brown but that's me. but if this doesn't work might try something else

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi friends ,

I met one of the naturopathy consultant ( and Yoga Teacher ) .

as per his suggestions :
Eat Sasame Seeds powder everyday ( good for nerves system)
make powder add to your food - just before you eat
eat one Indian gooseberry ( indian name : Amla , for vitamin C)
Eat brown rice ( for vitamin B)
stop taking salt and Oil
50 % raw food
daily 5 liter of water
Yoga ( Excercise + pranayama ( breathing excercise )

He is treating many diabetic patients in india .
Excepting eating rice and stopping oil, I think the rest of the things your naturopath suggests are good for the diabetic, and for the non-diabetic as well. In my humble opinion, one does not need to avoid oil, especially good oils like coconut oil. Again, in my humble opinion, one cannot hope to cure diabetes with these methods although these can be good for health and for controlling diabetes.

I continue to eat rice although I know it is not good for the diabetic. A little indiscretion with respect to my diabetes is a part of my everyday diabetic life. And I have to admit that I like sesame as in sesame laddoo which is really bad for the diabetic because it is a sweet ball made of jaggery and sesame seeds. Regardless, I eat it once in a blue moon. Once in a blue moon I do bad things.

Regards,
Rad

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would find 5 liters of water a day extremely unpleasant. Was there any reason given for some of those recommendations?

I read about a study of diabetics who did not have their blood glucose under control. They were deficient in water soluble vitamins from urinating so much. I'll bet it was less than 5 liters a day for most of them. That really does not sound like a good idea. Some vitamins are water soluble, and some are fat soluble.

Maybe we eat too much salt, but you do need some to live. You don't last long without it. Following that one will kill you. Stopping oils doesn't sound like a great idea either.

I'd run and find someone else.

·
Registered
253 Posts
And just ran into something that reminded me of this topic. The article basically says that most people including a lot of doctors assume drinking more water is good for you, but here are some results that disagree.

Drinking too much water called latest threat to health

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If they succeed in busting the myth about drinking more water, more power to 'em . . . but I'm betting it's just like fats-are-bad & carbs-are-good myths: People been believing it so long they aren't just about to change their minds just because some study proved it. And how about the myth that anything whole grain is good for us? PWD can prove that one with their very own glucometer, but will they believe it?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If they succeed in busting the myth about drinking more water, more power to 'em . . . but I'm betting it's just like fats-are-bad & carbs-are-good myths: People been believing it so long they aren't just about to change their minds just because some study proved it. And how about the myth that anything whole grain is good for us? PWD can prove that one with their very own glucometer, but will they believe it?
When I was diagnosed I was drinking on average of 6-8 liters of fluid daily. I emptied and refilled a 1L bottle at least 4 times at work (sometimes more), then usually had at least one large diet coke (1L size) at lunch, plus drank 1.5L of fluid most nights at home. It was crazy, constant thirst. And a lot of bathroom breaks.

I don't think it was particularly good for me. was probably crazy hard on my kidneys, when I think about it.

And Shanny you're 'dead-on' on the whole-grain myth. Of course, my dietician is still telling me I need 8-10 servings a day. Argh.

I must admit though, I'm getting interested in trying yoga. There's several types of classes offered at the gym I'm looking at joining, and they said they understand with my back injury I won't be able to do everything, and that not everybody can be a pretzel so not to be embarrassed... I think I'll try it out, hoping it helps with my flexibility - which has been severely limited the past few years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dear Friends,
Plz be informed that the advice is to drink water in a periodic manner not drink water for competition purpose, the study conducted will differ to our Indian context , where we are living in a tropical country, the sweat is more, and lot of people will suffer from burning micturation because of less water in the system.
However no body should try to drink more water for competition purpose. Many thousand people have been benefitted by this advice of drinking water , cured constipation, urinary tract infections and many other including allergies .

I have friend who has diabates sinec 8 years and No medication ..no salt ...No meat ... main food is Sprouts and veg + fruits .

Then give up tea, coffee and drink vegetable juice. For breakfast
you can take sprouts.
• Start eating rich in fibere food for lunch and dinner instead of rice.
• If you can’t give up salt at once, reduce it gradually in 10 days.
• From the tenth day onwards try a totally salt free diet.
• If you give up salt completely, you will have a speedy recovery from
sugar and you can gradually reduce medicines.
• Till you are cured of sugar complaint, you should not drink fruit
juice. You can eat fruits. But avoid fruits like mango, apple, grapes,
papaya, banana etc.
• You can eat 4, 5 other available fruits like oranges, sweet lime,
grapefruit, apple & Rose Apple (Jambul/ Jamun) with pulp in the
evening. Chew well before you swallow.
• Diabetes patients can take honey. There is more of Fructose sugar in
honey than Glucose. Insulin is required to carry glucose from blood to
the cells whereas the Pancreas gland for sugar patients cannot produce
sufficient insulin. But since honey has fructose that doesn’t require
insulin, it reaches the cells without the help of insulin.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Honey is high in fructose, and will increase your blood sugar more slowly, but it will still cause an increase of blood sugar. All carbs and sugars will. Even artificial sweetners will cause a rise if you consume enough of it. While honey is perfectly safe to consume, you still need to be aware of how much of it you are consuming and plan accordingly for it. I would not consider it a "free food". As a side note, it is my uderstanding that if the liver becomes "overloaded" with fructose it does convert some to triglycerides so people with high trigs might make note of that. Also, not all diabetics have issues with insulin production, many of them produce more than enough insulin, the problem is with insulin resistance. And diets high in fructose (especially HFCS) can exacerbate insulin resistance.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi, I ve been going through the posts with interest..one of my uncles was a naturopath, his 3 sons however along with naturopathy studied MBBS and combine both streams.. as long as you stick to low carb and low cal diet diabetes can be controlled. But nothing can make it go away from the body. Raw foods sometimes create severe gut reactions due to due already being under constant pressure from all the diabetic medications we take. I observed one thing about Gooseberries..thougth its good for your body being ascorbic acid and for overall immunity booster..it produces false sugar levels. I have accidentally come across this. I got tested for BGs for fasting and night before I had some dried gooseberries pieces. my sugar values skyrocketed like mad, my usual range is be tween 140-160 but that day it showed 600. My doctor asked me to come for another test after two days and it was 142. we have to be careful when we follow a particular new diet..but I do drink water regularly, about 8 to 10 glasses but my doctor advised me not to go overboard as it puts extra load on kidneys. I agree totally with Onaughmae, honey should not be consumed my diabetics on regular basis, its very high in calories and overload of fructose is bad for liver function and triglyceride levels.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Excepting eating rice and stopping oil, I think the rest of the things your naturopath suggests are good for the diabetic, and for the non-diabetic as well. In my humble opinion, one does not need to avoid oil, especially good oils like coconut oil. Again, in my humble opinion, one cannot hope to cure diabetes with these methods although these can be good for health and for controlling diabetes.

I continue to eat rice although I know it is not good for the diabetic. A little indiscretion with respect to my diabetes is a part of my everyday diabetic life. And I have to admit that I like sesame as in sesame laddoo which is really bad for the diabetic because it is a sweet ball made of jaggery and sesame seeds. Regardless, I eat it once in a blue moon. Once in a blue moon I do bad things.

Regards,
Rad
I too have rice may be not regularly but twice in a week and plan in such a way that I can include more work in my day after that. We are basically rice eaters, however I have switched to broken wheat, brown rice and hand pounded rice as they have ;more fiber. I do make sesame laddoos regularly as my son likes them, and they are healthy esp with jaggery. Sesame proved to be helpful in arthritis cases too esp people with back pain get help with it. we also use sesame oil too regularly, atleast 2-3 tsp oil with a meal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mango & diabities

Would you advise if consumption of seasonal fruits like Mango is advisable for a Just Detected Diabetic Patient.
]:rolleyes:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Would you advise if consumption of seasonal fruits like Mango is advisable for a Just Detected Diabetic Patient.
]:rolleyes:
Hi Atul,

It is best to go by what the meter says -- in other words, experiment with food and find the quantity and type of food for which your blood sugar levels, as shown by the meter during your regular BG tests, remain within safe limits. Regarding what the "safe limits" are, the current opinion held by a majority of experts is that a BG level below 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) after one hour of a major meal and below 6.7 (120) two hours after the meal are safe. Also, a fasting blood sugar level around 5 (90) is believed to be normal. I aim for these levels. I am successful most of the time, except for my morning fasting readings which are around 5.5 (99) because of the so called "dawn phenomenon" that most diabetics suffer from.

Well, I eat mangoes. Now that the mango season has set in and good mangoes arrive from India in our local Indian grocery store, eating mangoes has become somewhat a regular activity :eek:. Although they say that the mangoes are from India, I have a suspicion that they are from some central or south American countries. :D.

On diabetes related e-forums (including this) I have read posts from staunch low carbers advising diabetics to avoid fruit as much as possible. One of their arguments is that the fructose in fruits does not register on the meter -- that is, you can consume a good amount of fructose through fruits but your meter would not show a corresponding increase in BG level. The staunch low carbers argue that the fructose harms our bodies in mysterious ways (mysterious to me, but may not be mysterious to researchers in the field of life sciences and to these low carbers who might be knowledgeable about these research activities). One way fructose harms the body, the argument goes, is through the liver's tendency to store it (the fructose) as fat (triglycerides) and the tendency of this fat to increase insulin resistance, and also to get in the way of the normal functions of the liver. Another interesting argument I have read is that the fructose makes us age faster.

Regardless of these warnings from staunch low carbers, I consume fruit, especially the tropical fruits that I like the best. I do this because:

1. My blood sugar levels remain within safe limits even after consuming fruit in what I consider reasonable quantities
2. My lipid levels (including triglyceride levels) are normal in the once-in-three months tests that my family practitioner orders
3. The results of my liver function tests that the family practitioner orders once in a year or so have been normal so far
4. I don't mind growing old and dying (and also dying my hair occasionally):D

Thanks and regards,
Rad

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
My problem with fruits like apples, bananas and oranges is that they skyrocket my BG. They were the last carb-y foods I gave up, so I know this for sure. But I also know that not everybody shares that problem.

I grew up in Hawaii, where mangoes literally fall on your head as you walk down the street. Yum! Haven't tried one yet, post-D. But I just might (if I can find decent ones ... yes, I'm a mango snob).

A good mango is very-very juicy sweet. But they've also got to be one of the most fibrous foods on the planet. So for me, mangoes may well be worth a test-try-test experiment.

We're all different. Foods that work for one person may spell disaster for another. So with new foods after diagnosis, the sanest thing is to -- Test before eating -- Eat -- Test again 1 hour after first bite -- Test yet again 1 hour after that.

Reactions: agnostic

·
Registered
16 Posts
1/3 of all diabetics are allergic to grains of any kind, this is from a medical study done on diabetics. Getting off of grains has been very hard for me, as I love them all, but when I succeed I can get off my insulin almost all together. It is far better to write down everything you eat by brand name for 2 weeks and do pp and then go back and see what type of foods are raising your BS. This is why some remedies work for some and not others. PS Benadryl works great for neuropathy pain, for the reason above.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This is a very old thread and is now closed.

Please check the date of the previous posts before adding new posts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.