The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since first being dx'd 2 years ago. My foot doctor has been telling me to have a procedure called Partial Matricectomy done with a laser.

But she has done a couple of things that make me question the validity of her telling me to have this procedure done. For example:

First; about 1 year ago when a previously trimmed ingrown toe nail was still causing me some discomfort due to the resulting callus that had formed. She would not listen to me about the discomfort being caused by the callus irritating the tender skin underneath. And instead would only re-trim the nail. I still had to go home and remove the callus myself.
That toe nail has not given me any problems since I removed that callus myself and do a better job at trimming that toe nail.

Second; at my most recent visit. She mistook excess foot powder on my toes to be fungus. After proving to her that it was foot powder and not fungus. She asked my why I was using foot powder. I was using it because that is what she instructed me to do at my first visit with her.

I ever since she first suggested I get this procedure done. I had been wanting to get a second opinion from another doctor. But since I had been mostly unemployed for the past two years; I never got around to getting one.

Before I visit another foot doctor.
Has anyone around here had this procedure done with a laser ?
If so; how was your experience ?
How common is this procedure ?
How necessary is this procedure ?
Etc ...

Thanks,
--ET

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I would see another doctor for a second opinion. My sister's father-in-law just had his foot amputated because he was cutting out his own ingrown town nails. BTW, he is T2. Please be careful when cutting out your own ingrown toenails.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts