The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner has been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. After trialling the pills but not realling having too much of an effect, he was put on Lantus Solo Star twice a day. Injecting was fine up until last week when he tried injecting and it was painful, same happened on the very next injection. He is rotating sites but he is also bruising as well at previous sites.

Has anyone got any suggestions about getting over the fear again? It is casuing us both distress as it has become a 15 min or more dance of courage to get one injection done.

Thanks
Violent Rose :(

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My partner has been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. After trialling the pills but not realling having too much of an effect, he was put on Lantus Solo Star twice a day. Injecting was fine up until last week when he tried injecting and it was painful, same happened on the very next injection. He is rotating sites but he is also bruising as well at previous sites.

Has anyone got any suggestions about getting over the fear again? It is casuing us both distress as it has become a 15 min or more dance of courage to get one injection done.

Thanks
Where is your partner injecting? There are several places to inject, abdomen, thighs and arms. Most of us have a favorite place and those can get tough. Lantus alone can sometime cause the injection to feel a burning sensation, not sure if there is anything we can do about that. Also, Lantus was made to inject once per day. Some people split their dose. You can try Lantus once per day and then you just have to deal with on injection. If injecting into the abdomen, pinch up some skin before you inject.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Use a new needle each time. When I tried to re-use needles to save money I experienced pain and bruising with my injections.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Fear

I had the Fear Factor at first. Your partner is so lucky to have you. I like to think of little rewards. I put a quarter into a jar for a new TV when I do something. Iss there a non food reward you could try?

·
Registered
221 Posts

Thanks
Two things,
You can let the Lantus warm to room temperature and that helps reduce the sting.
Also you can try the new Nano Needles by BD. They are 32g and very short. They have discovered that we don't need to have a longer needle based on size and these should hurt a lot less. Here is a link
http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7002&id=32521

1 - 6 of 6 Posts