The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone checks their blood sugar or those needing pre-meal insulin do it in public (like at a restaurant or at work)? I'm new at this and feel kind of awkward doing it in front of people, but I also don't like having to run to the bathroom all the time.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I dont care where I am if I need to check my BG or have to take insulin. But I do try to do it as discrete as possible.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Cary . . . I don't have to worry about insulin yet, but if I need to test before a restaurant meal, I can make it quick handling the paraphernalia in my lap beneath the level of the table. In fact, in a booth I turn a little sideways too, which is even more hidden.

Having taken many meals with my insulin-dependent type 1.5 brother-in-law, I know he just lifts his t-shirt under the edge of the table, pops his tummy with the pen & if we didn't know, we couldn't tell, he does it so quickly. You'll get good at it too . . . don't worry.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I do. I am now injecting through my clothes, too. I wear all cotton knits, so it works fine. If you act too surreptitious, people may notice that.

I just go about it -- and if anyone notices it is extra PR for the cause.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I check and inject in public. Like the others said it can be easy, quick and discreet.
I too inject through my clothing when I'm out.
I'm enjoying my pen much more than the old vials and syringes I used to carry around.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I also check my bg's and take my insulin in public. Heck, I need to do it, and it's nothing to be ashamed of in my book, so if Mom's can breastfeed their babies in public, I can certainly check my bg's and take insulin in public. I do it as discreetly as possible though. I often thought about injecting through clothing, but am afraid I won't get my full dose of insulin. I just do it just under the top of the table in my belly, or if I am wearing shorts or a skirt (being a girl and all) I just do it in the thigh. I try not to use my arm unless I'm at home or in the office where nobody can really see me do that.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Since I use an insulin pump I don't inject in public, but I do check my BG anytime I feel I need to do that. I've tested in restaurants, in the grocery store, in the waiting room at the Doctor's office, and even while shopping at Wal-Mart.

When I was using syringes or pens, I would inject discreetly - sometimes through my clothes, sometimes just lifting the edge of my t-shirt.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
While I don't take insulin, I do check my BG in public but usually only around my friends. I have the best and weirdest friends in the world! When they heard about my heart attack last march, they all showed up at the hospital to check up on me...including two of my professors and a ton of classmates I barely knew. Now, whenever I sit with them at the university, they all want to know when I'm going to test because they want to test as well. So, here we are, a table of 8 students, all pricking our fingers and testing our levels :cool: Most of them are now also following me by going on a lchf diet. They sms me numerous times a day telling me their new weights and asking me for recipe ideas.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
While I don't take insulin, I do check my BG in public but usually only around my friends. I have the best and weirdest friends in the world! When they heard about my heart attack last march, they all showed up at the hospital to check up on me...including two of my professors and a ton of classmates I barely knew. Now, whenever I sit with them at the university, they all want to know when I'm going to test because they want to test as well. So, here we are, a table of 8 students, all pricking our fingers and testing our levels :cool: Most of them are now also following me by going on a lchf diet. They sms me numerous times a day telling me their new weights and asking me for recipe ideas.
What a neat group of friends you have :) And think of the good influence you have on them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im a pumper so I do not need to inject. Prior to pumping, I would prefer discreetly injecting my tummy if my hubby and I were out dining - never thru clothing. BG testing, however, I still do discreetly - any and everywhere. I have even done it while walking by keeping all my testing supplies in my shoulder bag slug to the side with my hands in it (like looking for my wallet).

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Okay, so today I tried injecting insulin before breakfast through pants in thigh...I don't think it worked though. My morning bg was 155, bolused accordingly, ate some smoked ham and monterey jack cheese for breakfast (like roll ups) and I just bought the ham and made sure it was very low carb and low sugar, cheese is full fat regular monterey jack cheese. I was feeling funny so I took my bg...242! WHAT! Did my shot not work? Is it still this rotten cold? Ugh.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
While on MDI, I often would inject through my clothes and usually the shot was just like any other. Your cold is probably the thing that makes your BG shoot upward. I find when I am sick that I need extra insulin to bring my BG down and it also seems to take longer.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Well this rotten cold needs to take a hike already. I'm tired of feeling so blah! And, I'm so tired of things sabbotaging my bg's. Everytime I think I've done something right, I get a higher reading. This really stinks sometimes! Hey, where is thisstinks? I could use their input! heheh

·
Registered
741 Posts
I inject through my clothes also...I check whenever I need to where ever I am...I dont really care where I am I figure the more people get used to it the better it is...Im not ashamed...also I dont want to go to a public toilet to do it because they are mostly dirty places...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I inject through my clothes also...I check whenever I need to where ever I am...I dont really care where I am I figure the more people get used to it the better it is...Im not ashamed...also I dont want to go to a public toilet to do it because they are mostly dirty places...
I agree, the loo is the last place I would want to check or to inject. I figure if people don't like watching me check my BG - then "tough cookies".

·
Registered
916 Posts
Odd man out here. I don't inject through my clothes, nor do I have to do it out in public. Thank goodness.

I have a hard enough time injecting slowly in my upper leg with a small small needle.:eek: Don't know if I could just stick it in myself like that.:eek:

Testing , that wouldn't be a problem tho.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts