The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G

·
yeah no surprise there :D Lack of sleep means our bodies aren't getting the opportunity to recharge and this obviously can lead to many health issues. My doc has been giving me more than a few lectures lately about sleep and getting enough of it... especially to help me with my stomach disorder. Sometimes I feel like I could sleep for a week easy. lol... but not as simple.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I notice when I don't get a good night's sleep or if I get too much sleep and sleep in my bgs are always higher. Last summer I started to take melatonin at night and it really helps with the sleep issues and has lowered my bgs.

G

·
I took a sleeping pill (alodorm) last night and the problem is I wake up groggy and not feeling the brightest really. Plus if I get hypo or need toilet I wake up regardless during the night. My doc wants me to stay on the pills because he knows I don't sleep properly due to my stomach condition symptoms not under control as yet... that's why he has been lecturing me mainly and because he knows I'm diabetic. I've not been taking the pills every night as I've heard that sleeping pills can be addictive and I don't want to become dependant on them.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The melatonin is a natural hormone so there are no side effects. It does help me get into a deeper sleep. I only take about 3 mg and it also has theanine in it which is a form of green tea. It really does relax me. Before starting it I went for about 4 months with just a few hours of sleep a night. I don't like sleeping pills either. Some nights I also get restless leg syndrome and the melatonin helps relax them.

Reactions: rvknott and foxl
G

·
The melatonin is a natural hormone so there are no side effects. It does help me get into a deeper sleep. I only take about 3 mg and it also has theanine in it which is a form of green tea. It really does relax me. Before starting it I went for about 4 months with just a few hours of sleep a night. I don't like sleeping pills either. Some nights I also get restless leg syndrome and the melatonin helps relax them.
Jwags, is melatonin something you buy at health food stores? I don't think I've ever heard of it before. Does it interfere with others meds at all? I'm just wondering if it relaxes your restless leg syndrome whether it would perhaps relax my stomach nerves?

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, you get melatonin at health food stores. It's very gentle. I tried it years ago for my fibromyalgia but it wasn't adequate for me.

What you are taking is a benzo and addictive, not the best sleeping aid in my opinion. Because of my fibro I know quite a bit about sleep meds and recommend one that enables (doesn't block) stage 4 sleep which the benzos do.

I can recommend trazodone (if you get that there and your doc knows about it). It's very safe, an old med with a long track record, not addictive. I've taken it for years and know scores of people who also do/have. It's marketed as an antidepressant but prescribed more for sleep at this point. I sleep through the night, don't wake up groggy, and don't know what I'd do w/out it. I tried a half-dozen meds before settling on trazodone years ago.

Honestly, I'd talk to your doc about alternatives to benzos -

G

·
Yes, you get melatonin at health food stores. It's very gentle. I tried it years ago for my fibromyalgia but it wasn't adequate for me.

What you are taking is a benzo and addictive, not the best sleeping aid in my opinion. Because of my fibro I know quite a bit about sleep meds and recommend one that enables (doesn't block) stage 4 sleep which the benzos do.

I can recommend trazodone (if you get that there and your doc knows about it). It's very safe, an old med with a long track record, not addictive. I've taken it for years and know scores of people who also do/have. It's marketed as an antidepressant but prescribed more for sleep at this point. I sleep through the night, don't wake up groggy, and don't know what I'd do w/out it. I tried a half-dozen meds before settling on trazodone years ago.

Honestly, I'd talk to your doc about alternatives to benzos -
Thanks for the advice Moon :D I think I obviously spend a lot of my sleep time in Stage 2 as I swear I dream practically the whole time I'm asleep. No wonder I don't feel so great sometimes if I'm not getting the Stage 4. I'm alternating nights at the moment... so I don't take the alodorm every night. My doc tells me it's a mild sleeping aide. I'm hoping to come off them completely when they get my meds right for my stomach condition. Although I have had to get temporary assistance before when I've had trouble sleeping... but usually I'm Ok when I'm functioning properly with health. I've had bad experiences recently with anti-depressants and would rather stay away from those type of drugs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the trazodone and don't like it. It does leave me real groggy the next day and doesn't help me stay asleep. Nothing seems to. I did have a Dr. appt. today though and she's scheduling me for the sleep study.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can only speak for myself. I have used melatonin with good results. However, the best sleep inducer I have found with no impact to my bsg is red wine. Works like a charm...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Turning the issue around, I've for years had the problem that I wake up early, 5-6am. I have no problem sleeping otherwise. I've tried to test with insulin dosage whether it's because I'm too low or high, but without success. Does anybody else wake up too early? And found a link to diabetes?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I buy melatonin at WalMart.

You can also get the extended-release kind. And you can apparently take A LOT without repercussions ... but do research that for yourself.

·
Registered
105 Posts
interesting thread...

I never tried melatonin but i never experienced insomnia before I got on anti depressants 3 days ago. does drinking NYQUIL night help to fall asleep? i dont like taking sleeping pills. :/

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I get up at 4 am and run, to capitalize on my tendency to wake early.

But no I have not seen links to D. I THINK I have read links to depression though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm very sensitive to meds of all kinds and melatonin is no exception. It works like a charm for most people but makes me anxious. Definitely worth a try, though.

G

·
Turning the issue around, I've for years had the problem that I wake up early, 5-6am. I have no problem sleeping otherwise. I've tried to test with insulin dosage whether it's because I'm too low or high, but without success. Does anybody else wake up too early? And found a link to diabetes?
I'm up every morning at 5.30 am for work. I test my BGLs at that time of course. I used to be up at 4.30 am when I had my exercise routine happening... the only time I fitted it in. Nowdays I can't wake up any earlier as I struggle with getting to sleep in the first place. I tend to crash on weekends though.... obviously my body wants a catch up with lack of sleep during the week.

·
Registered
241 Posts
interesting thread...

I never tried melatonin but i never experienced insomnia before I got on anti depressants 3 days ago. does drinking NYQUIL night help to fall asleep? i dont like taking sleeping pills. :/
NyQuil helps some people sleep, but bear in mind that it raises your blood pressure.

·
Registered
15 Posts

i agree with you that melatonin is sometimes my only help, i get migraines bad and can go for several weeks with less than 4 hours of sleep a night if I dont do something.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.