The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of over the counter meds that diabetics aren't supposed to take, and some meds are hard on the kidneys. Is there something otc that is safe that will knock me out? :frusty: Hopefully something I can pick up at Walmart so I won't have to order online or drive all the way to Timbuktu to find it. I don't want to go to a prescription drug.

·
Registered
741 Posts
a rubber mallet? hammer? sorry lol...I too suffer from insomnia...Ive been taking Melatonin and it has helped...it helps regulate the circadian rhythms which are influenced by growth hormones...thats the reach of my biology understanding....but I have been an insomniac for over 50yrs so I do sympathise...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Something I tried that is cheap, and easy to do - (but may sound weird...)

Buy some chamomile/mint tea, and some catnip. (Yes, you heard right.)

When you make your tea, add in a teaspoon of catnip leaves. Let it steep for 9 or so minutes, and drink.

Catnip acts as a mild sedative, and calms your nerves. Best of all, it is safe for diabetics. (Indeed, some folk remedies have used catnip as a treatment for daibetes. LOL)

I have fresh stuff at home, and I can tell you, it works!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I had terrible insommnia last year and tried herbal teas , yoga and meditation. Nothing worked. I really didn't want to go with the sleep meds. So I tried Melatonin and it works. I buy mine at Costco. It also has theanine and GABA in it. It does the trick. I think it just relaxes you enough to fall asleep without any side effects. I take 3 mg about an hour before bed.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I agree jwags and the research I read said the dosage was irrelevant...as in you dont need to take a lot of it to have it work....I hope that makes sense...so if 3mg works then more won't work any better...might be sleep time lol my brain is slipping

1 - 5 of 5 Posts