The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here.

I have been a diabetic for the past 25 years (Type 1) and in the last six months began using the Medtronic Minimed. My Hemoglobin A1c have gone from a 7.7 to a 6.1, so I and my doctor consider me in good control with no complications. However, I have sporadic and terrible insomnia lasting for a week, then going away. Has anyone else with in-control Type 1 diabetes had this type of insomnia, or could the cause be something else?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, welcome to our community! That is very good that you have been T1 for 25 years, have an A1c of 6.1 and have no complications. Congratulations!

I have been T1 for 63 years and I am very healthy but I have hadsome mild complications wich are no longer bothering me since I started pumping insulin.

I have insomnia if my blood sugar goes too low during the night. With pumping my comfort range is 80-120. If I drop below 80 during the night I have trouble sleeping so I test and eat a small snack or one or twoglucose tablets. In less than 20 minutes I am sleeping again. What do you think is causing YOUR insomnia? Some people have stress that causes them insomnia. There are many other things that could interfere with your sleep. Good luck!

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

My situation has gotten a bit worse. After dealing with the insomnia for several sleepless nights, I decided enough was enough and took two over-the-counter sleeping pills about an hour before bed. The next thing I remember is waking up on the floor in pain with my wife standing over me, looking very worried and feeding me juice. I see the emergency glucose shot sitting nearby, as-yet unused and decide that I must have had severe low blood-sugar. I had had a seizure, and my wife had helped me back to normal.

During this time, my wife did not take my blood-sugar, so I am unsure of how low it got, or if that was the problem. I am not entirely sure that low blood sugar was the cause of this because of the severe memory loss (the last two weeks are spotty at best.)

I know many people are going to suggest that I see a doctor immediately, but I recently moved and do not have a primary physician. On the 1st of Dec. I have an appointment with my endocrinologist. My question is: Does anyone know what else it could be? I still feel as though I am wandering through the fog, not able to think straight. Since the event, my blood glucose levels have remained steady, if not for me letting them run a little high out of nervousness. (160-180) I would appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hypos at night

I also pump with a Minimed pump. 17 months now. I had some lows at night soon after I started but I adjusted my basals and stopped taking any insulin during the last three hours before bedtime. That means I do not eat anything during those three hours. That stopped my lows while I sleep.

I used to have occasional hypos while sleeping, before pumping. I used my alarm clock and tested at 1,3,5 and 7am. That is how scared I was of night time hypos. Then I found out about Dawn Phenomenon and started eating a high protein snack before bedtime. Peanut butter is a good choice. It stays with you for a long time through most of the night. It eliminated my morning highs and helped with my 3am lows. Pumping is the best solution though. You should be able to adjust your basals to avoid night time hypos. You might want to test during the night until you have things under control though. Good luck!

Richard

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have it alittle i go to bed around 8 pm and wake up 1-1:30 am and im up till whenever! i never had it happen before i am usually a very heavy sleeper just ask my wife. i have woken up in the morning with kids in bed with us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suffer from perhaps the opposite. i find myself constantly tired. even if i get a good 8 hours sleep i can find myself feeling worn out after about 7-10 hours of the day. I keep healthy and have good sugar control but it seems to be a regular occurrence.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts