The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have what is probably a silly question. I know you will all say don't worry about it and I thank you for that. My main question is: "What do I do when I have no choice but to expose my insulin to extreme temperatures?"
I know that I am supposed to keep it in not too hot and not too cold situations. I would never leave it in the car or by a window at the house.
The main reason I am asking this is because I went golfing today. It was around 90Deg outside and with the insulin in my backpack, the temperature in there might have been even higher (maybe into the low 100s). I need to keep all of my stuff near me, and since I was going to be golfing I couldn't leave it in the car. I also couldn't leave it at home were it would be 30 minutes away.
So is I know this isn't supposed to happen, but what should I do in these situations? Any advice would be helpful.
Thank you in advance for your help,
Josh

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
you could get one of those cold packs that you keep in the fridge...put your insulin in something with that and then it should be fine in your backpack out in the heat.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello all,
I have what is probably a silly question. I know you will all say don't worry about it and I thank you for that. My main question is: "What do I do when I have no choice but to expose my insulin to extreme temperatures?"
I know that I am supposed to keep it in not too hot and not too cold situations. I would never leave it in the car or by a window at the house.
The main reason I am asking this is because I went golfing today. It was around 90Deg outside and with the insulin in my backpack, the temperature in there might have been even higher (maybe into the low 100s). I need to keep all of my stuff near me, and since I was going to be golfing I couldn't leave it in the car. I also couldn't leave it at home were it would be 30 minutes away.
So is I know this isn't supposed to happen, but what should I do in these situations? Any advice would be helpful.
Thank you in advance for your help,
Josh
There are special cases made for this purpose. Most come with a cool pack (like Pam suggested). The Insulin Case shop on the web would be a good place to check out what is available. I don't know if you are using a pen or a vial, but you could fill a syringe with enough insulin to cover your needs while you are out. You can get a small hard case to carry the syringe in. Just be careful about exposing your pen or an entire vial to extreme heat. When I pick up my insulin from the pharmacy, I try to make it the last stop or I carry a hot/cold bag in the trunk that keeps items hot or cold. I am positive that you will find something to fit in your golf bag!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts