The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jeaniemm,

Sorry for the delay, but was hoping someone that has used labs outside of a doctors practice to respond.

I personally am not familiar with tests not performed in my doctors office or hospital, but I aware that there are walk in labs or on line-labs that do testing. Probably best thing to do would be using your favorite search engine to find one and get in touch with them for what tests they offer and preparation instructions (fasting, etc.)

With the on line labs, I would think that you would have to go somewhere to get the blood drawn. If you use your doctor's office, why not just let them send it to where they normally send it to run the tests? Is the reason you are asking because your doctor isn't willing to order an insulin tests?

An insulin test by itself, may be meaningless, but not enough info has been offered. You may need to have blood glucose tested too, or C-peptide, or something else depending on the reason for testing to begin with. The labs may be able to answer your question if you are not going thru a physician.

Reactions: itissteve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum Jeaniemm,

Sorry for the delay, but was hoping someone that has used labs outside of a doctors practice to respond.

I personally am not familiar with tests not performed in my doctors office or hospital, but I aware that there are walk in labs or on line-labs that do testing. Probably best thing to do would be using your favorite search engine to find one and get in touch with them for what tests they offer and preparation instructions (fasting, etc.)

With the on line labs, I would think that you would have to go somewhere to get the blood drawn. If you use your doctor's office, why not just let them send it to where they normally send it to run the tests? Is the reason you are asking because your doctor isn't willing to order an insulin tests?

An insulin test by itself, may be meaningless, but not enough info has been offered. You may need to have blood glucose tested too, or C-peptide, or something else depending on the reason for testing to begin with. The labs may be able to answer your question if you are not going thru a physician.
Thank you. My Dr. orders A1C and blood glucose. I am no longer on metformin because Dr feels my bg and A1C are at good levels and therefore thinks nothing more is necesssry. I know how to use a walk in lab on my own but I am not sure what to order to get the best fasting insulin info. Is C-peptide something else I should order?

·
Administrator
2,148 Posts
If you and your doctor is sure you have Type 2 diabetes (and not LADA) there really isn’t much value to a C-peptide test.

An A1c is good for about three months (by design) and I don’t know what you would need more fasting blood glucose tests for at this point unless you find value in getting them more often than your doctor will refer you for them.

So it sounds to me like you’re about tested out, at least for the next few months. Let’s see if mbuster has any other ideas.

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
I would think C-peptide should be used in everyone's initial testing for diagnosis of what type of diabetes one has. Of course that should be coupled with antibody testing if C-peptides results are low, indicting low insullin production.

High C-peptide tests could indicate insulin resistance, you could be making several times as much insulin as normal and still keeping keep your BG and A1c numbers in good range. High/rising c-peptide levels could indicate progression of insulin resistance. High/rising C-peptide results could also be an indicator of potential blocking of the arteries. There is a lot of info on c-peptide on the internet.

Getting a c-peptide test, even if thought unneeded right now would give you a baseline number to look back at when/if tested again in the future. The lab or your doctor, would be better suited to advise you on what/when to test and why.

Reactions: itissteve
1 - 6 of 6 Posts