The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
2,448 Posts
If you and your doctor is sure you have Type 2 diabetes (and not LADA) there really isn’t much value to a C-peptide test.

An A1c is good for about three months (by design) and I don’t know what you would need more fasting blood glucose tests for at this point unless you find value in getting them more often than your doctor will refer you for them.

So it sounds to me like you’re about tested out, at least for the next few months. Let’s see if mbuster has any other ideas.

·
Administrator
2,448 Posts
Jeaniemm, just because your doctor writes for the big diabetes tests doesn't mean you can't manage some of it on your own. Maybe I missed it in reading your original post, but are you not checking your blood glucose at home at least daily?

Many of us have chosen to test a lot -- fasting blood glucose each morning and various times during the day. In fact, some of us were testing ten or more times a day (fasting, before each meal and an hour and two hours after) to figure out what our insulin response was to different foods we were eating. Keeping an eye on the trends also educated us on the effects of stress, infection, etc. on our blood glucose levels.

You do not need a prescription to buy a blood glucose meter or strips. And they don't have to be expensive, either. Several large chain stores in the U.S. sell meters for under $20 and strips for around 25-30 cents apiece in quantity. You certainly could monitor your blood glucose very closely by yourself, which could give you a great idea of your longer-term diabetic health. At my first A1c after diagnosis, after three months of testing before and after each meal, I looked at my spreadsheet of glucose levels and absolutely guessed my A1c level before the doctor brought back the test results.

Would testing like that be helpful to you?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.