The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
I am a type 1.5 diabetic. I was diagnosed way back in 1992, have been in constant battle since then in taming he glucose levels. I was not type 1 and was playing active national level sports till age 24 years. I suspect Mumps, which I contracted at the age 27, triggered diabetes.

Initial few years, I was on oral medications but was moved to Insulin. I am now on insulin for last 17 years. My A1c levels have been between 7-8. Last reading was at 7.9 previous quarter was 7.4. My goal is to get it <7. I am very conscious on what I eat and have a daily exercise plan. However a busy but sedentary job makes it challenging to be active as often as I want to.

As I struggle with understanding and controlling diabetes, I am reaching out to this community to learn more.

Neeraj_B

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Welcome to the forum

This is a good place to meet other diabetics, both T2s and T1s (1.5, too), who are working toward gaining good control of their diabetes.

As you read through other threads on the forum, you'll find that diet is a major tool in blood sugar control. Even with insulin. Since it is carbohydrates that cause blood glucose (BG) to rise, it makes sense to greatly restrict this kind of food. If one reduces carbs, less insulin is needed and corrections can be more exact.

Dr. Richard Bernstein, a T1 diabetic himself, has written an excellent book about gaining and maintaing good control of diabetes. Read Online - Diabetes Solution - Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site Scroll down a bit on that page and look for "The Law Of Small Numbers" which explains about reducing carbs and insulin needs.

Your goal of getting your A1C below 7 is worthy. Most of us on the forum have a goal of below 6, into the 5% range. We have found this to be achievable, especially when one follows a low-carb way of eating. And it is especially effective if one adds in plenty of fats to offset the loss of calories from carbs. You'll read references to this way of eating in many of the threads here. Low-carb/high-fat (LCHF).

Do come often, read lots, and ask any questions you may have. We want you to be successful.

By the way, many of us, myself included, aren't able to do much exercise because of physical problems. But with a change in diet, we have achieved low and stable BG anyway. Exercise is a good thing for anyone, but it isn't as effective for blood sugar control as is diet.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Very glad you joined us.

When you say you are very conscious what you eat, can you tell us more? Sometimes, going over that aspect of our diabetes control with others can highlight things we might be missing, or which we might improve on, since diet management is such a key ingredient in control.

Reactions: mbuster

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,
I am sorry for delay in replying. Regarding diet I am on a 1800 cal. Diet.
For B.fast I have 50 gm of uncooked oatmeal with unsweetened soyamilk, 3-4 egg whites and one fruit (kiwi or avacado).

Mid morning i have one cup green tea and tofu (75 gm)
Lunch consists of brown rice (200 gm), 2 servings of vegetables.
At dinner i have 3 mixed grain rotis(indian bread) with vegetables and lentil soup and or fish/chicken.
My current a1c is 7.9 last qtr it was 7.4. Mostly it is between 7-8. At 58kgs (height 1.72 meter) I am a bit underweight.
I suspect my current diet is heavy in carb. That may be the cause of high a1c.

Appreciate your help in getting a1c under control.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Hello,
I am sorry for delay in replying. Regarding diet I am on a 1800 cal. Diet.
For B.fast I have 50 gm of uncooked oatmeal with unsweetened soyamilk, 3-4 egg whites and one fruit (kiwi or avacado).

Mid morning i have one cup green tea and tofu (75 gm)
Lunch consists of brown rice (200 gm), 2 servings of vegetables.
At dinner i have 3 mixed grain rotis(indian bread) with vegetables and lentil soup and or fish/chicken.
My current a1c is 7.9 last qtr it was 7.4. Mostly it is between 7-8. At 58kgs (height 1.72 meter) I am a bit underweight.
I suspect my current diet is heavy in carb. That may be the cause of high a1c.

Appreciate your help in getting a1c under control.

Thanks
Your suspicion is right-on. You are consuming quite a bit of carbohydrates. And it appears you are also eating low-fat. If you reverse the ratios and eat low-carb and high-fat, it would make for lower blood sugar levels - and less insulin as well.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Have you read the link I gave you before. I think it would help you a lot and give you the knowledge to make changes that will be beneficial to you.

Dr. Richard Bernstein, a T1 diabetic himself, has written an excellent book about gaining and maintaing good control of diabetes. Read Online - Diabetes Solution - Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site Scroll down a bit on that page and look for "The Law Of Small Numbers" which explains about reducing carbs and insulin needs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts