The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of a good source for determining pre-meal insulin doses based on insulin type and carb counts for the meal. I'm not sure how to properly ask this question, but I find myself going low more often these days. I would like to be able to determine my dose based on current BGL's and the amount of carbs I plan on eating for the meal.
I take Novolin N Pre-breakfast mixed with Novolin R. At dinner I take Novolin R only and at bedtime I take Novolin N again. I also take Metformin. I know it's not an exact science, but I would like to have a better idea on what to take Pre-Dinner with the Novolin R. If I eat properly to lose weight, I am gonna be changing the dose often and would like to have an idea of what I am doing. The availability of my Doctor is limited.
Hope I asked this properly.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My advice is ti keep an curate log of food eaten and BG readings. The problem is everybody is different. what works for me might kill you (I am very insulin resistant and so use a lot of insulin). Also the types of insulin you are using make it difficult to achieve good control (again for most people, we are all different). the insulin needs to last as long as the food effects your BG, and R lasts to long for most people, causing either spikes after eating or lows later (3 to 7 hours later).

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I don't know that much about different types of insulin, but diabetes86 is correct...it all depends on your own body's need for the insulin. I take a sliding scale of fast acting (Humulog) at meal time and my base is 12 units...anything above 150 I add 2 units for every 50 points higher it is. So, if I check my bg before a meal and say it is 225, I add 3 extra units to the 12 base line for a total of 15 units. But, this is what I was instructed to do. You might be different. Sometimes I use too much and I go low, but sometimes I don't use enough and stay slightly high. It will also depend on what you plan to eat. It is a science to figure it out, but you need to know what foods do not affect your bg's and what foods do. I agree on keeping a log. That will tell you more as to what your body needs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.