The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started using Levemir on a daily basis. Although I've used only 2 of the 5 pens included in the package, my doc instructed to me to toss everything after 30 days. The expiration date on the package is 8/10/2010.

Does anyone understand this??

J

·
0 Posts
I just started using Levemir on a daily basis. Although I've used only 2 of the 5 pens included in the package, my doc instructed to me to toss everything after 30 days. The expiration date on the package is 8/10/2010.

Does anyone understand this??
Supposedly insulin is no good 30 days after opening. So if you've used a pen, and it doesn't run out of insulin within 30 days, throw it away.

As far as the un-opened pens, I'd say that they are good until the expiration date. As long as no air gets to the insulin inside. But, since I don't use the pens (I'm on a pump), I'll leave this one up to the experts on the board.

But to reiterate, I've been told by all of my health care providers to throw away any insulin that is opened, after 30 days.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Werlini: :)

Welcome to the Forum. I'm Glad that John could answer your question for you. His directions are as the manufacturer states. We're Happy that you are here. If you have more inquiries, please ask.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi , i would use the unopened pens and just moniter your bs levels to ensure that the pens are still ok to use . I use a flexipen that the doctors give me 25 of them at a time . So by the time i am using the last one it has been in my fridge for a couple of months .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts