The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently on basal & bolus insulin. I've gotten the hang of the bolus vs carbs & my numbers seem to be fine from breakfast through dinner. My problem is that I always wake up with fasting numbers in the 200s (I don't know what that is in the European single digit way of counting). I have slowly increased my basal from 18 up to 30 units. I tried going higher, but my mid-day numbers would plummet if I took more than 30. It's like my liver won't stop pumping out sugar while I sleep! If I were a car, I'm sure there would be some kind of sensor that could be replaced & I would be good as new. Since I'm not a car... I could use some advice. I've tried the "eat a spoonful of peanut butter before bedtime". (? whatever! that had noooo effect whatsoever!) & "go for a walk after dinner". (also useless- but more enjoyable than peanut butter).

??? any other ideas???
Thanks,
Melanie

G

·
I am currently on basal & bolus insulin. I've gotten the hang of the bolus vs carbs & my numbers seem to be fine from breakfast through dinner. My problem is that I always wake up with fasting numbers in the 200s (I don't know what that is in the European single digit way of counting). I have slowly increased my basal from 18 up to 30 units. I tried going higher, but my mid-day numbers would plummet if I took more than 30. It's like my liver won't stop pumping out sugar while I sleep! If I were a car, I'm sure there would be some kind of sensor that could be replaced & I would be good as new. Since I'm not a car... I could use some advice. I've tried the "eat a spoonful of peanut butter before bedtime". (? whatever! that had noooo effect whatsoever!) & "go for a walk after dinner". (also useless- but more enjoyable than peanut butter).

??? any other ideas???
Thanks,
Melanie
Sounds to me, like you need to talk to an endocrinologist. They are doctors that specialize in diabetes. If your already seeing an endo talk to them about your night time problem. I know what I'd do if it were me, I'd increase the walking, to bring your BG down, and I'd cut out the snack (I have a night time snack, since my night time BG goes down), as that is bringing your BG up. But I'm not a doctor, so since everybody's body is different, I'd talk to your doctor if I were you.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Melanie this problem with morning highs is called Dawn Phenomenon. You have probably researched this onliine. I used to have this problem several years ago and I set my alarm clock for 3 AM. I tested then and took a small corrections blous. That was the time that my blood sugar started increasing while I was sleeping. I used trial and error to determine the dosage that worked best.

Now I am using an insulin pump. I can program my pump to give me many different basal rates. I have my basal rates gradually increase as the morning approaches so I wake up with a very good blood sugar level. Pumping insulin is the best solution to your problem. I know some people who were permitted to start pumping because of the DP problem like you have. Talk to your doctor and show your chart with the high numbers after fasting during the night. Do you have insurance that would cover a pump?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few times I have gotten up & checked every hour or two all night. It appears to just be a steady upward climb all night. I haven't found a jump. I will try a 2 or 3 am small bolus, but I hate all of this horrid weight gain so I am trying to keep this insulin down to just the minimum needed. Could I try working out before bed? Does this help? There is definately no low followed by a high...
-Melanie

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have never tried working out before bed so I do not know what that would do to you. If you eat your last meal of the day about 7 pm and exercise while those carbs are still in you body the the workout might help a lot. If you waited until close to bedtime for the workout then there would not be enough carbs in your body and your liver might dump too much glucose and then you would have a high before going to bed.

I eat a meal at 7pm and a small snack at 9pm (about 10 carbs) but nothing else before going to bed. If I eat more than that near bedtime then I have highs during the night too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts