The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,025 Posts
Melanie this problem with morning highs is called Dawn Phenomenon. You have probably researched this onliine. I used to have this problem several years ago and I set my alarm clock for 3 AM. I tested then and took a small corrections blous. That was the time that my blood sugar started increasing while I was sleeping. I used trial and error to determine the dosage that worked best.

Now I am using an insulin pump. I can program my pump to give me many different basal rates. I have my basal rates gradually increase as the morning approaches so I wake up with a very good blood sugar level. Pumping insulin is the best solution to your problem. I know some people who were permitted to start pumping because of the DP problem like you have. Talk to your doctor and show your chart with the high numbers after fasting during the night. Do you have insurance that would cover a pump?

· Registered
3,025 Posts
I have never tried working out before bed so I do not know what that would do to you. If you eat your last meal of the day about 7 pm and exercise while those carbs are still in you body the the workout might help a lot. If you waited until close to bedtime for the workout then there would not be enough carbs in your body and your liver might dump too much glucose and then you would have a high before going to bed.

I eat a meal at 7pm and a small snack at 9pm (about 10 carbs) but nothing else before going to bed. If I eat more than that near bedtime then I have highs during the night too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.