1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
I can see this as a good thing for those taking basal insulin injections, much fewer sticks. It is studying Type 2s, but wouldn't there be a similar result for Type 1s using MDIs (multiple daily injections)?

However, and this is just my opinion, and it is the same opinion for daily basal insulin injections for most Type 2s. This is treating the issue and not the cause of high BG. Yes it helps maintain/lower BG, but it is additional insulin. Too much insulin in circulation can lead to worse issues than just weight gain, like atherosclerosis (clogging, hardening of the arteries) for one. Most Type 2s are capable of producing more than enough insulin but insulin resistance creates the need for more insulin to control BG until the pancreas finally cannot produce enough. Why not reduce the source of the excess glucose instead and avoid the complications of too much insulin?

Once the pancreas' production of insulin is impaired and incapable of making enough insulin, then thats a whole new ball game.

Like I've always said though, my opinion and a dollar will get you a small coffee about anywhere.

Reactions: kyteflyer

·
Administrator
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That certainly is the other approach: reduce the need for insulin so that the body can supply itself. That's what so many of us T2s here are doing with low-carb eating. There's still that hurdle, though, of helping people realize that the human body does not need 150 grams of carbohydrates a day to function and prosper.

For anyone already using insulin, however, I would think a once-a-week jab is preferable to a daily jab.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts