The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound disgusting, but I just injected my basal tonight and for the first time I had blood going into my insulin pen.... what the? luckily I didn't have very much insulin left in the pen.... I tossed it out thinking it would be no good now. Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Blood in pen

This might sound disgusting, but I just injected my basal tonight and for the first time I had blood going into my insulin pen.... what the? luckily I didn't have very much insulin left in the pen.... I tossed it out thinking it would be no good now. Has this happened to anyone else?
I had something in the old days of mixing insulin with the syringe with the plunger. Accidently drew some blood up. My little girl ran into my leg the other day whilst I was injecting causing the needle to break off. That was not fun!! Not sure if you can keep using the insulin though.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
That happend to me 8 years ago. Not suppose to happen with the pen (blood getting into the insulin. I found it by noticed before my PM shot that the insulin was pink. I called the insulin maker and they sent me a new pen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am a type 1 for the last 13 years, using Novopen 3 for few years. It was going fine all these years with the pen but for the past few months facing this issue of blood going into my insulin pen/cartridge. Yesterday, it was all new and has happened several times now, leading to waste of insulin. Do you have any idea as to what is the reason? We can't use that insulin, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It happens when you release the plunger before you withdraw the needle from the injection site.

The blood contaminates the cartridge and cannot be used further.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts